Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from Skerries to Rush

Options
  • 30-08-2015 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi, new here but looking for advice. I've lived in Skerries for a number of years now and we're in need of a bigger house. Looking for one in the area we realized you can either get something small and expensive in Skerries or something nicer, bigger and cheaper in Rush. I know Rush from occasional trips and walks but I wonder what it's like to live there now (the posts on the subject all date back to 2006 or 2008). Any comments?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

With the exception of Rats closing down & the population becoming more multi-cultural, it hasn't really changed since the '80s. :)

Maybe if you can give a bit more info regarding your circumstances... For example, whether you have kids or not, what sort of lifestyle - sporty, social, etc...

Also, what are important factors for you for where you live? What amenities do you want? Etc, etc, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 9 plethora

Thanks for the quick response. Yep we have kids, primary school but I guess we'd leave them in school in Skerries if we'd decide to move until they go to secondary. Hubbie works in town he commutes to work by train now, we know that is going to be worse as station not within walking distance in Rush. We have everything kinda sorted but my worries are whether we'd feel we moved from better to worse... Not that I want to downgrade Rush but Skerries is such a nice, safe, friendly place I'm wondering if I'd feel at home in Rush...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I'm sure that our members who live in Rush will tell you that it is very safe indeed. Was there any part area of Rush you were thinking of?

Not yet, but there are a few houses for sale in the centre. I might have a look at them. Thanks for the comments.

I guess the question I would like to ask of people is: would you consider moving from Skerries to Rush purely because you'd like a more comfortable house?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Are you sure you need to move? Is it for extra bedrooms, extra living space or what exactly?

- Have you had a clear out of old clothes/toys etc. to free up space?
    - Is all space and storage being used as best as possible?
    - Is there any excess or oversized furniture cluttering up the place?
    - Is there room to extend? convert an attic?
    - Have you considered re-modelling the house to better fit your needs?

Anyway just food for thought. It may be worthwhile having an architect have a look at the place and see what can be done.

Be a shame to move and then regret it, especially if you are happy where you are, save for a bit of extra space.

How many extra square feet to you need and how much will the move 'cost you'? (buying & selling fees, solicitor costs, other costs etc)

You can even put in something like a Shomera if it's home office space or a kids den you are looking for (assuming sufficient garden space).

Well worth considering all your options.

Thank you, very good ideas there but we bought our small though lovely house a good while ago with fewer kids in mind ;-) there's no chance of extension. We definitely need to move question only is: should we move to a little bit bigger house in Skerries or should we rather say cheero to it and move to a much much bigger and nicer place but in Rush..? See the new developments in Skerries are really tightly packed, overpriced and location wise also a track from where we are (almost in the middle now ;-) ) so we will use cars more often anyway. I am scared because over the years I've heard people praising Skerries and complaining about Rush... And this is the only "but" I have I think... Well, they also say Skerries schools are better. Houses in Rush are by far cheaper and nicer than in Skerries...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

It's a very hard thing to say. Really it will come down to your finances and whether you want to pay the premium to be in skerries as opposed to Rush. In an ideal world, based on what you are saying, you'd like to stay in skerries so it just depends what that's worth and if it's feasible.

Also you refer to using cars more often - there is a big difference between 2min drive and 10mins from rush to skerries on a repeated basis. I don't think you can move to rush and live your life in skerries. Will all your kids activities be staying in Skerries too? Are there alternatives in Rush? How will all this fit in with your life & time? (will you be a permanent taxi?)

With respect to the new developments you are referring to - are you talking about Barnageeragh Cove? There are other places with detached houses ,4 beds 9& bigger) and closer to town (Kelly's Bay, Skerries Rock, Selskar, Seacrest, The Brambles, Townparks - in descending order from furthest to closest). Again it all comes down to finances. You refer to housing density, most Irish housing estates are over crowded to a degree so is it a one off house/plot you are looking for?

Anyway just some thoughts.

And on a non specific note, having lived and rented in a few places, there tends to be a premium on places for a reason. So it comes down to your own personal feelings on house & space v's amenities/other reasons for premium.

If you are serious about moving to Rush, you probably need to get out there and do your own on the ground research.

Best of luck.

Thanks a lot, exactly my thoughts... Yeah, in an ideal world I'd buy a nice big house in Skerries but those come to market extremely rarely (kids might already move out if we'd decided to wait for the house we like...). That's why we think of moving away, but it's a tough decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 carla643

Hi Plethora, I'm in the same boat as you were 2 years ago, renting in Skerries and trying to decide between buying a 2 bed here or a 3 bed in Rush. Just wondering what you decided to do in the end?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

I havent lived in Skerries but quite a few more have in the direction you are thinking than the other way.

Rush has a lot going for it. There are ample clubs and activities to cater for everyone with clubs that are very successful and Millbank theater which runs a lot of workshops and events for children, scouts, GAA, Soccer, camera club, Cricket, Sailing to name just just a few.
    The big plus I think are the North and South beach for walks and also walking along the cliffs.

There is a good mix in Rush and the new estates are not big monstrous estates but smaller scale so easier to get to know a few people.

As a local I think the value you get from living in Rush is better than anywhere else in Fingal but I have only lived in Rush:D

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭KFed

What is your budget and what type of house are you looking for?

Skerries commands a premium alright but the flip side to that coin is that it will probably always hold that premium, and if anything, the gap will probably continue to diverge from its near neighbours.

If you move to rush for more space, is there a risk you might find yourself priced out and can't move back to skerries?

I havent spent much time in rush butbstrikes me as a hugely spread out town, bungalows everywhere and lots of market gardening. Main street seems a bit less going on in comparison to skerries and probably also less in the way of bars and restaurants.

If you're leaving your kids in school in skerries will they even get into the skerries senior school?

What are the schools like in rush and do it will they have any friends there?

If your lives to now are in skerries would moving to a slightly bigger house but the next town over actually improve or given the dislocation, Disimprovedoving everyone's life?
    Personally I think it's be a mistake and you'd be better sticking in a smaller house and jeep saving for a bigger house...

Advertisement