Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car ignoring merge lane when joining N11.

Options
  • 30-08-2015 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

I was wondering if anyone else has come across this. Today while driving northbound on the N11 a couple of exits before Kilmacanoge, I saw a car stopped at the side, waiting to join the road. Rather than turning left and driving down the merge lane, it has come straight out to the edge of the road and stopped, as you would at a T-Junction.

They then waited until I got close before they pulled out, forcing me to brake fairly heavily (there were cars beside me in the overtaking lane, so that wasn't an option). Why would anyone do this?! Usually muppetry on the road is motivated by a perceived benefit to the driver, but in this instance it was all risk with absolutely no gain.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I disagree that there usually is a perceived benefit behind muppetry. Most of the time muppetry is just that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Boskowski wrote: »
    I disagree that there usually is a perceived benefit behind muppetry. Most of the time muppetry is just that.

" Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. "

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Probably him:

1962-acc-b-web.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

N11 is best avoided on a Sunday. Its wall to wall muppets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Why would anyone do this?! Usually muppetry on the road is motivated by a perceived benefit to the driver, but in this instance it was all risk with absolutely no gain.
    This happens fairly regularly at Kilmacanogue too - I've been behind them as they slap on the brakes just past the petrol station and indicate to move out. It's simply pure stupidity, they should have their license removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

hmmm wrote: »
    This happens fairly regularly at Kilmacanogue too - I've been behind them as they slap on the brakes just past the petrol station and indicate to move out. It's simply pure stupidity, they should have their license removed.

The biggest issue with those petrol stations is the southbound one. You have people leaving the station and in about 20m attempt to join the N11, whilst partially blocking the off ramp. You can simply go up the off ramp and then down the ramp to merge safely. There is a lethal accident waiting to happen there. Drivers should be forced to yield to the ramp and go up the ramp if they are exiting the station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Putting bollards there may well get in people's way as they come south down the N11 (without going into the petrol station) and then taking the off-ramp.

Or else you'll have people trying to merge after the bollards - so even more dangerous. But I guess you have to plan for that level of stupidity.

Maybe a whole new exit, directly onto the slip-road up the ramp, would be the best. And a sign suggesting that's the best way to rejoin the main road wouldn't hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭AhHaor

That road is a mess, the speed limits there are a mess. Thankfully my car can get up to the speed limit there within a few seconds, in my old fiesta I used to always go up over the roundabout and back on down the slip road.

The 80 km/h limit further down is lethal, 50 % obey 50 % don't. I do accept that its there for people exiting the car park. But this is a new road, it's only 15 or so years old. And I see they're doing road works Northbound from the 7th to 30th Sept, what ever that's all about!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Totally ridiculous that this garage on the southbound N11 causes traffic to slow down so much that it can get backed up to Carrickmines.
    It is very frustrating to sit in traffic every day knowing that there is dual carriageway for 80kms in front of you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I hate that kilmac section, its a total clusterf**k and designed by homer, they need to fully redo the whole thing and take out the roundabout, where the garage is and make it a one way system, if anyone needs to go to kilmac, they take the earlier exit point, which is really wide and safe, get rid of the short entry at the avoca handweavers and start the entry point with two lanes starting at the garage similar to the cherrywood on ramp, which is really long and safe.

That whole section of road from glenofthedowns to fassaroe bray is a cash cow and and goes from 100-80-100-80 or 100-120 complete money making scam, with safe drivers getting points because of this.. . :mad: just make the whole road 80 from glenofthedowns to fassaroe if they are that concerned.

Advertisement