Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US college course bans the words 'male' and 'female'

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭SeanW

Do extremists really have any real-world influence? I personally don't think they do tbh, they're far too much idealism and no action, always pointing out problems, but never coming up with any feasible solutions, because their thinking is far too insular.
    They pretty much run Sweden ...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

andrew wrote: »
    I wish. Then we'd all be able to load up on guns and have abortions, or both at the same time even :cool:.
    Yup. American cultural extremes rarely enough translate beyond their shores. Hell they rarely transmit beyond the hipster and academic enclaves on the coasts in America itself. The vast majority of Americans who aren't easily "triggered" college kids with orange hair and patchy beards go on with their lives without any of this nonsense penetrating very much at all. Even in colleges they'd be the minority.

The interwebs, social media and general media gives us the idea that these eejits have more traction and power than they actually do. Now that can be dodgy, because they can appear to drum up large scale support for their nonsense on the same social media(and mainstream media as it's a clickbait haven for them and heaven for advertisers). QV the scientist's shirt and the sacking of the UK professor. However that's still minority stuff, unless you happen to be the poor bastard it's aimed at. Same deal with the extremist "PUA/MGTOWLOL/mens rights" types.
    SeanW wrote: »
    They really don't. Ask any Swede.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

SeanW wrote: »

Sweden isn't at all an example of a country anything close to being run by extremists. I can think of many countries in the world with extremist regimes, but Sweden definitely isn't one of them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

Wibbs wrote: »

The interwebs, social media and general media gives us the idea that these eejits have more traction and power than they actually do. Now that can be dodgy, because they can appear to drum up large scale support for their nonsense on the same social media(and mainstream media as it's a clickbait haven for them and heaven for advertisers). QV the scientist's shirt and the sacking of the UK professor. However that's still minority stuff, unless you happen to be the poor bastard it's aimed at. Same deal with the extremist "PUA/MGTOWLOL/mens rights" types.

remember the protein world advertisement 'scandal'? article after article about the almighty feminist rage, vandalism being touted as protest, all the celebratory back slapping about the upcoming protest gathering in some london park. ****ing 20 people turned up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Wibbs wrote: »
    The interwebs, social media and general media gives us the idea that these eejits have more traction and power than they actually do
    Like on this very thread. "Vast majority of humanities courses are like this", "comedians don't go to campuses anymore" without even a hint of back-up.

I think some folk actually *want* this rubbish to be enforced on people's day to day lives - they enjoy acting as if it is. I never ever ever encounter it day to day.

It's like the obsession with going on about "SJWs" even when not referring to SJWs at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

Like on this very thread. "Vast majority of humanities courses are like this", "comedians don't go to campuses anymore" without even a hint of back-up.

I think some folk actually *want* this rubbish to be enforced on people's day to day lives - they enjoy acting as if it is. I never ever ever encounter it day to day.

It's like the obsession with going on about "SJWs" even when not referring to SJWs at all.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/06/10/living/seinfeld-comedy-colleges-feat/

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-war-against-humanities-2013-6?IR=T

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I think some folk actually *want* this rubbish to be enforced on people's day to day lives - they enjoy acting as if it is.
    I think it gives people a frisson of incredulity, like Daily Mail articles. They're designed to raise people's ire because people get enjoyment of a sort from it. Scary haired "feminists" get a similar pleasure from their rantings. Most people don't give a toss.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

strelok wrote: »
    remember the protein world advertisement 'scandal'? article after article about the almighty feminist rage, vandalism being touted as protest, all the celebratory back slapping about the upcoming protest gathering in some london park. ****ing 20 people turned up.
    True, the manufacturer must have been laughing all the way to the bank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I think some folk actually *want* this rubbish to be enforced on people's day to day lives - they enjoy acting as if it is.
    This is so true.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

andrew wrote: »

Good to see common sense prevailed and students will not have their education potentially jeopardised by the personal political beliefs of individual professors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

I knew common sense would prevail anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 436 ✭✭Old Jakey

How do nutjobs who want to ban words like 'mankind' even get into positions of influence in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Old Jakey wrote: »
    How do nutjobs who want to ban words like 'mankind' even get into positions of influence in the first place?

These are education lifers, they never spent a day working outside a college campus. It's one big echo chamber/safe space where they rarely encounter people with opposing views.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

kylith wrote: »
    This is obviously nuts.

Unfortunately some sections do use male/female to almost dehumanise people "Females act like X", "You can't trust males", that kind of thing.

I hate it when people use male and female as nouns. They are ****ing adjectives.

I know they are nouns sometimes, but hearing a woman on TV telling me that She's a "successful female" makes me want to ask, "a successful female what?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

These are education lifers, they never spent a day working outside a college campus. It's one big echo chamber/safe space where they rarely encounter people with opposing views.

You realize colleges facilitate the exact opposite of this? That is why they're given latitude to question the validity of words like 'mankind.'

In another age that would have been called blasphemy, and the person would have been tarred and feathered for not being one of us.

Akrasia wrote: »
    It's the same reason people think bleeping swear words does anything

Everyone knows what the word is. What's the point?

**** **** **** arse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Overheal wrote: »
    You realize colleges facilitate the exact opposite of this? That is why they're given latitude to question the validity of words like 'mankind.'

You do relaize that certain groups that don't follow the feminist liberal-left narrative are regularly attacked in the US?

You do relaize that certain groups that don't follow the feminist liberal-left narrative are regularly attacked in the US?
    While some boundaries obviously apply, Free Speech does not enshrine your ability to be free from criticism.

On the subject of campus sexuality/sexism, you should read the social codes of conduct eg. it is statutory rape by a male if he has sex with a female if there is any amount of alcohol involved (a beer, a jello-shot, beer-battered ribs, etc) despite verbal consent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

While some boundaries obviously apply, Free Speech does not enshrine your ability to be free from criticism.

On the subject of campus sexuality/sexism, you should read the social codes of conduct eg. it is statutory rape by a male if he has sex with a female if there is any amount of alcohol involved (a beer, a jello-shot, beer-battered ribs, etc) despite verbal consent.

Yes. And that is a clearly nonsense rule.

( it isn't "statutory". )

• Advertisement

NI24 wrote: »
    Ooooh touched a nerve I see. Gotta love how those who have nothing but speculation on their side become increasingly frustrated when called out on it. Fitting into that neoconservative mold more and more as the posts roll on. Btw, feel free to supply the list of colleges you spoke of earlier.

When the Corinthian and NI24 go at it, I start to wonder if there's a set of rules in AH and there's a scoreboard somewhere showing who's winning and I'm completely missing the point of the whole site.

Yes. And that is a clearly nonsense rule.

( it isn't "statutory". )

Statutory as it applies to the schools 'statutes' it does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Eh, I know, but violence, vandalism and bullying do not qualify as "criticism".

Or at least they shouldn't.

Correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

I took a Women's Literature class along with Post Colonial Literature one semester. Christ. Being one of the only two guys in the class was quite intimidating. I would have just kept quiet except the bloody lecturer would always be like "Lets get a male perspective on this"

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭NI24

zeffabelli wrote: »
    Neo liberal refers to economic policies of laissez fair attitudes. It is not a direct opposite of neo con.

It makes no odds who she got it from, she's still chucking the label around ignorantly. It cannot apply in a European context.

Neoconservative simply means "newly conservative". It is someone who falls on the more conservative side of the political spectrum. You are using the simple minded definition of it even though it's evolved and expanded over time. In fact, both terms have evolved and expanded over time. I'm sorry if you aren't aware of things outside of Europe, but believe it or not, a big old world exists outside of it. Funny how you see yourself as some big expert on American culture, when you clearly are not.
    Neo-conservatism is an American ideology. It's generally involved with invading the Middle East on behalf of the Israeli "alliance". It's nothing to do with America's SJW ideologies which are in fact designed to hide American power. In fact neo-conservatives can be liberal in everything except killing middle easterners.

It has everything to do with SJW ideologies, going off The Corinthian's definition, which is the one I'm referencing. An SJW is simply an ideologue, conservative or liberal.
    She got the quote wrong....ignore.

You are absolutely right, I did get it wrong. However, your quote got a big WTF? from several posters for being downright bizarre. And only a narcissist would think it makes any sense without explanation, which you only gave now. But I have to say Zeffabelli, for someone who bores you so greatly, you have an awful strange habit of replying and referring to my posts. I, on the other hand, find you fascinating. Never have I heard someone so prone to hyperbole or speculation and philosophical tangents. It's like watching someone on an acid trip.

Reiver wrote: »
    I took a Women's Literature class along with Post Colonial Literature one semester. Christ. Being one of the only two guys in the class was quite intimidating. I would have just kept quiet except the bloody lecturer would always be like "Lets get a male perspective on this"

For God's sake, why??? If enough people refuse to sign up for these things, they go away. I mean, what is "women's literature"? Literature only written by women? Cause that's got to be a pretty short list.
    Because the nature of Empire is we follow Empire and ten years will be enough to follow this trend. Look at the morons with hipster beards direct from Portland or the rise of Cis-Genderism.

Beards are totally hot. Beards happen to be the only thing hipsters have going for them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

Neoconservative simply means "newly conservative". It is someone who falls on the more conservative side of the political spectrum. You are using the simple minded definition of it even though it's evolved and expanded over time. In fact, both terms have evolved and expanded over time. I'm sorry if you aren't aware of things outside of Europe, but believe it or not, a big old world exists outside of it. Funny how you see yourself as some big expert on American culture, when you clearly are not.

rofl
    It has everything to do with SJW ideologies, going off The Corinthian's definition, which is the one I'm referencing. An SJW is simply an ideologue, conservative or liberal.

actually an sjw is someone who has orbited the moon and currently holds a winning record in games of monopoly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

strelok wrote: »
    rofl

actually an sjw is someone who has orbited the moon and currently holds a winning record in games of monopoly

It wouldn't surprise me tbh that's what neoconservative now means among certain circles, they've bastardised the word 'privilege' too, and many more besides...

'herstory'... :pac:

It wouldn't surprise me tbh that's what neoconservative now means among certain circles, they've bastardised the word 'privilege' too, and many more besides...

'herstory'... :pac:

No it doesn't.

It's just used by vagina painting get in touch with your inner she wolf to dismiss any perspective that does not validate Christmas is patriarchal and men are privaledged because they can have babies when they are 80 views.

• Advertisement

No it doesn't.

It's just used by vagina painting get in touch with your inner she wolf to dismiss any perspective that does not validate Christmas is patriarchal and men are privaledged because they can have babies when they are 80 views.

God this is some acid trip you are describing. You must have personal experience with vagina painting as I don't know a single soul who's ever used that term before. Then again, perhaps you don't live in the same consensual reality. And btw, would you care to provide that list you were speaking of earlier? The one about using the word gyne. Because it's the first I've ever heard of it.

God this is some acid trip you are describing. You must have personal experience with vagina painting as I don't know a single soul who's ever used that term before. Then again, perhaps you don't live in the same consensual reality. And btw, would you care to provide that list you were speaking of earlier? The one about using the word gyne. Because it's the first I've ever heard of it.

I owe you nothing.

All you do is demand demand demand and never bring data to the table. So you can keep waiting.

I owe you nothing.

All you do is demand demand demand and never bring data to the table. So you can keep waiting.

Yes it seems anytime any poster asks you to back up your statements you have nothing. First it was osarusan and then andrew. I guess it's safe to assume your were talking out of your you-know-what. The question is why? It adds nothing to your point. It reminds me of the time I went to the Albuquerque Zoo and the gorillas were throwing their own feces at the concrete wall simply to see what sticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

For God's sake, why??? If enough people refuse to sign up for these things, they go away. I mean, what is "women's literature"? Literature only written by women? Cause that's got to be a pretty short list.

It really wasn't through choice. It was hobson's choice really. Ah well, got my B for the class :D

Its like looking at the female experience and from their perspective. We had a discussion about female heroes in films/computer games etc one day. I started a near riot with the words "Lara Croft".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

kneemos wrote: »
    Retarded is a perfectly descriptive word.

Not to some friend or relation of a child who is actually retarded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Severard

Seems like a rather useless course with a dim-witted lecturer and since the University stated that no lecturer could prevent students from expressing themselves then there doesn't seem to be too much cause for concern, but this mentality in colleges and universities is happening more and more frequently these days which are the last places that any form of censorship should occur. The majority of people who enter third level education are in their teens/early twenties and they don't need totalitarian ideologues forcing their views of "what is inappropriate" on them.

Advertisement