Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

How often do you grease your brake disks/pads?

• 30-08-2015 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

I greased my brakes only 2 months ago, but they're starting to squeal again...am I doing it wrong?

I take out the pads and put a good dollip of high-quality automotive grease on both sides of them, and generally put a tonne of grease inside the calliper...

I then get a stiff paint brush and put grease all over the disc itself, on both sides.

But already they're starting to squeal again!?

PRO TIP: I also usually grease my tyres to hide my chicken strips and maintain that new wet look...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Normal grease will not suffice AFAIK because of the heat involved. Get copper grease and do back of pads only...I have never heard of grease being applied insdie the caliper TBH. No need IMO as when all put back together you are talking 1-2mm play if that so why grease them up with no play on them to benefit?

Plus what is to stop the grease making its way down to the disc (heat & rain etc) and severely impacting braking performance!!!!

I overhaul the rotors on the floating discs every 3 mths with brake cleaner and PTFE lube (instant dry no smear) and do calipers too. Not that there is a problem just keeping them tip top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭TheChizler

It kind of sounds like you're greasing the friction material?...

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Normal grease will not suffice AFAIK because of the heat involved. Get copper grease and do back of pads only...I have never heard of grease being applied insdie the caliper TBH. No need IMO as when all put back together you are talking 1-2mm play if that so why grease them up with no play on them to benefit?

Plus what is to stop the grease making its way down to the disc (heat & rain etc) and severely impacting braking performance!!!!

I overhaul the rotors on the floating discs every 3 mths with brake cleaner and PTFE lube (instant dry no smear) and do calipers too. Not that there is a problem just keeping them tip top.
    TheChizler wrote: »
    It kind of sounds like you're greasing the friction material?...

This was a joke!!! Wonda, how did you take me seriously! Surely my PRO-TIP was a giveaway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭TheChizler

rat_race wrote: »
    This was a joke!!! Wonda, how did you take me seriously! Surely my PRO-TIP was a giveaway!
    I was wondering, but it's Sunday night and I've a serious case of the fear setting in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Have you tried fitting drilled brake lines for weight reduction?

• Advertisement

rat_race wrote: »

TBH, I was on the beer but with some of the posts on here lately you never know...trying to be a better poster I am :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

copper grease I hope?

other stuff doesnt hold up to the heat, and will make its way off whatever you first applied it to (not good in and around your brakes)

Wossack wrote: »
    copper grease I hope?

other stuff doesnt hold up to the heat, and will make its way off whatever you first applied it to (not good in and around your brakes)

Wossack, you are worse then me m8....

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

oops :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭prunudo

Queue the flood of newbie posts,
    " I lost it on roundabout.......some lad on the internet said.......grease the tyres......."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Vaseline all over the saddle protects it from the harsh weather we get in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

Vaseline all over the saddle protects it from the harsh weather we get in Ireland.

+1 and don't forget those handgrips too, don't want those feckers getting all faded and sh1t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭prunudo

I find son of a gun is great for keeping them clean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

"I then get a stiff paint brush and put grease all over the disc itself, on both sides."

It wasnt until I got to that part that I realised you were joking. Least you'd never have to replace your pads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Don't bother with expensive chain lube either. Oil of Olay workes even better, lubricates the links really well and also reduces the 7 signs of sprocket aging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Every six months I add 3 litres of diesel to the tank, not because there's a problem, just keeping the engine tip-top.

:)

Advertisement