Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

tickets for Mayo v Dublin replay MOD WARNING POST #108

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Patser wrote: »
    I'd say by Friday there'll be tickets floating about alright. Right now with Sunday's emotions still high everyone wants to be there before the realities of the day kick in.

It's a 5pm throw in, on a Saturday, the day before the All Ireland Hurling Final. So some people will be stuck in work, or have other pre planned commitments. There'll be a shortage if hotel rooms, as Galway and Kilkenny fans will have had a headstart getting them and with a late match finish time (and risk of extra time) that'll make travelling home for Mayo fans a pain. Also since this was 1st sell out of the year, I reckon touts will have jumped in on the replay, probably to the point of over buying tickets. They'll be desperately trying to flog them by Friday (while probably trying to flog them at big prices now due to the mini panic going on)

It'll be a sell out alright, but by Friday/Saturday I'd reckon anyone genuinely wanting to go will have found a ticket.

Agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Kingp35 wrote: »
    No Kildare clubs won't get tickets. Why should they, they aren't playing. They would have got tickets to the first game though.

Also how is it the fault of the GAA if someone buys a ticket and then doesn't show up or leaves after the minor game.

The only issue for me is the fact that people were able to buy as many tickets as they want, that shouldn't have happened to keep tickets out of the hands of touts. They also shouldn't have gone onsale until Monday morning to give the Mayo fans travelling home a fair chance to buy them.

Tickets for games always go on sale the Sunday night of the last game that decides the match ups. Sometimes sooner. It's never been a problem before. Tickets for the drawn game went on sale the Sunday night of the last quarterfinal & the game didn't sell out until mid week. So you can hardly blame the GAA for not bringing in a policy of not selling tickets until the Monday, when it's never been needed before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

I'd say by Friday there'll be tickets floating about alright. Right now with Sunday's emotions still high everyone wants to be there before the realities of the day kick in.
    So, perhaps a good sales technique by the GAA to shift as many as possible as quickly as possible? Remove the uncertainty of trying to sell them over the course of the week.

After all, all the GAA want to do it sell the tickets with a ticket sold to one person is as good as a ticket sold to the next.

No major good will be lost as most people trying to buying tickets are high profile ticket buyers only*. They'll happily buy tickets over the next few years given the facility.

*obviously there are genuine cases, but the majority won't have been to more than a couple of games this year. We probably see more genuine cases on this thread than average.

Where in any other business/club/association would selling your stock as quickly as possible be such a bad thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭Patser

Bluetonic wrote: »
    So, perhaps a good sales technique by the GAA to shift as many as possible as quickly as possible? Remove the uncertainty of trying to sell them over the course of the week.

After all, all the GAA want to do it sell the tickets with a ticket sold to one person is as good as a ticket sold to the next.

No major good will be lost as most people trying to buying tickets are high profile ticket buyers only*. They'll happily buy tickets over the next few years given the facility.

*obviously there are genuine cases, but the majority won't have been to more than a couple of games this year. We probably see more genuine cases on this thread than average.

Where in any other business/club/association would selling your stock as quickly as possible be such a bad thing?

Agreed.

And one of the great things in the GAA is that clubs are guaranteed a good few tickets, that means at the local level decisions can be made as to genuine cases. Any club chairman that looks after his mates over genuine members will usually not remain chairman too long.

I'd say there's a commercial agreement with SV to release a set percentage to them via tickets.ie, probably 10,000 ish for Croker. Those 10,000 is what's been snapped up yesterday partially by genuine fans but also all sorts of others who've no club affiliation and just want a BIG game ticket.

Wait til tomorrow/Thursday when clubs get 70,000 odd tickets handed to them, some regulars won't be able to go, some will have already got, some will have 3 tickets promised from other friends. All this excess will filter down to genuine fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭omega666

Agreed.

And one of the great things in the GAA is that clubs are guaranteed a good few tickets, that means at the local level decisions can be made as to genuine cases. Any club chairman that looks after his mates over genuine members will usually not remain chairman too long.

I'd say there's a commercial agreement with SV to release a set percentage to them via tickets.ie, probably 10,000 ish for Croker. Those 10,000 is what's been snapped up yesterday partially by genuine fans but also all sorts of others who've no club affiliation and just want a BIG game ticket.

Wait til tomorrow/Thursday when clubs get 70,000 odd tickets handed to them, some regulars won't be able to go, some will have already got, some will have 3 tickets promised from other friends. All this excess will filter down to genuine fans.

There's not going to be anywhere near 70,000 tickets going to clubs.

Gaa confirmed that 10,000 were sold Sunday night via tickets.ie.

There would have to been at least another 15,000 sold yesterday between
    tickets.ie, the official shop on dorset street and Supervalue/Centra etc.
    That's 25,000 tickets gone to just the general public alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

I wonder has this lad got ticket for replay? :D

http://hoganstand.com/Mayo/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=243457

omega666 wrote: »
    There's not going to be anywhere near 70,000 tickets going to clubs.

Gaa confirmed that 10,000 were sold Sunday night via tickets.ie.

There would have to been at least another 15,000 sold yesterday between
    tickets.ie, the official shop on dorset street and Supervalue/Centra etc.
    That's 25,000 tickets gone to just the general public alone.

Ok, nearly 60,000 then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,816 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Ok, nearly 60,000 then

you honestly think there is 60,000 going to clubs.

Let's break this down

Corporate boxes make up a few thousands seats (i think - not sure how many seats there are?) - these are not going to the clubs.
    Premium level seats - many of these are already snapped up by 10 year holders or companies, so these are not going to the clubs.
    Season ticket holders from both counties make up a few thousand.
    Parnell Passes will be a few thousand.
    Sponours will get tickets - again not going to clubs.
    25k sold between Sunday and Monday.

if there were 40k going to the clubs it would be doing well - then split that out between every club in Dublin and Mayo - the numbers are that great per club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

There were plenty of tickets going around on Sunday morning...this isn't an All-Ireland final, they're not sending 5 tickets to a club in Waterford etc it won't be any more difficult to get a ticket for this than it was last week so whether clubs get 30,000 or 60,000. Anyone who really wants a ticket will get one. It's Tuesday. Relax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

I was in that Dorset street q for 3 hours yesterday. obviously it was 90% Dubs. it was ridiculous with only 2 people on the counters and throwing out as many tickets as you like. I personally seen a guy purchase 16 tickets (two groups of 8) and the lads at the counter did not bat a eyelid. lots of others with wads of them too.

Really not fair that this allocation was not made available at a Mayo venue simultaneously. hopefully they do filter through by Friday, but even still it makes for a Sh*tty weeks waiting and unable to make proper plans for people.

• Advertisement

Nah. I was winding you up with 60,000 but still think it'll be closer to 50,000 to clubs. I think your estimate of 25,000 general release is high.

And I also still think genuine fans will get sorted. 83,000 fans to a game with less than a week's notice is always a big ask - and expense following a week on from other game. There'll be tickets floating on Friday evening.

Mind you that's easy for me to say, since I'm away the weekend. I've been in that situation of a promised ticket many times before. Until you have it in your hand you're always nervous, and not being 100% sure til Friday makes planning difficult. But it always just seems to work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mickeyrooo

is this game on tv? i cant find it on the listings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Gael85 wrote: »
    I wonder has this lad got ticket for replay? :D

http://hoganstand.com/Mayo/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=243457

I'm sure he'll be going since they ban is up, especially since he was at both the Donegal & Dublin match already.

Had a quick look on adverts, eBay, Gumtree etc expecting to see lots of tickets up for sale. Not really, lots of swaps to/from hurling final offered.

Also lots of Electric Picnic tickets too. Forgot that was this weekend, that'll divert a fair few fans as well.

Edit; also to add no minor game this week, that's more freed up tickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭P_Cash

I think also that people should relax.

What if i told u the county mayo board sent an email stating that clubs will get max what they got the last time.

So wheres all the tickets
    Lol.

Had a quick look on adverts, eBay, Gumtree etc expecting to see lots of tickets up for sale. Not really, lots of swaps to/from hurling final offered.

Also lots of Electric Picnic tickets too. Forgot that was this weekend, that'll divert a fair few fans as well.

Edit; also to add no minor game this week, that's more freed up tickets.

Done Deal came out and stated that they weren't allowed the sale of any tickets, i'ms sure others will follow suit, so i wouldn't expect to see many online.

I wouldn't expect people to be stuck for tickets come match day, however families/mates want to sit together may not get the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 DanTomKelly

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Done Deal came out and stated that they weren't allowed the sale of any tickets, i'ms sure others will follow suit, so i wouldn't expect to see many online.

I wouldn't expect people to be stuck for tickets come match day, however families/mates want to sit together may not get the chance.

Ok I take the point about relaxing.
    My questions are
    1. Do me and my 6 year old son, who were at 4QFs and 2SFS, qualify as serious supporters (we live in leixlip, he was born in dublin and goes to school in dublin)
    2. How likely are we to get into family section together?

Steward at a previous match said "depend ending on capacity, children sometimes are only allowed in davin and not lower cusack."
    So much for family friendly.
    The vibes I get are that it's all about the money.
    Don't get me started on Sky.
    I refuse to get Sky. Imagine having to go to a Pub to watch my own county playing in a supposedly amateur game.

My questions are
    1. Do me and my 6 year old son, who were at 4QFs and 2SFS, qualify as serious supporters (we live in leixlip, he was born in dublin and goes to school in dublin)

Steward at a previous match said "depend ending on capacity, children sometimes are only allowed in davin and not lower cusack."
    I refuse to get Sky. Imagine having to go to a Pub to watch my own county playing in a supposedly amateur game.

I'm going to be honest - and say i never knew there was a family only section in Croke Park for matches. I assumed there were family tickets of some sort but didn't realise it was only for some sections.

Would a child be stopped from going into certain sections even with a ticket?

My questions are

I'm not a member player etc, and don't train teams etc, so i wouldnt ever say i was a serious supporter . I don't like the way gaa run things this been a good example.

The gaa doesn't care about u sorry,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

My questions are

You live in Leixlip, you don't need to worry so, your team isn't playing in Croke park this weekend! :-)

• Advertisement

TonyStark wrote: »
    You live in Leixlip, you don't need to worry so, your team isn't playing in Croke park this weekend! :-)

Your dead now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

My questions are

To answer 1, I'd say no. If you went to most home league and provincial games you'd be on the right track but just going to an odd later stage game is verging on bandwagon jumping. A season ticket holder has to have attended 60% of games or so to get their right to an all Ireland final ticket, and that'd be a fair characterisation of what a serious fan would be.

2. The family section is mainly filled with clubs ordering tickets. Only €10 for adults and €3 for kids, even for a semi final. If general admission tickets are not on sale and you aren't a member of a club then you could well have difficulty getting a ticket.

TonyStark wrote: »

Maybe I'm not being clear here. I live in leixlip but was not born there. I won All Ireland minor club in 1991.
    So apologies for being a neutral and trying to enjoy our national game.
    There'll be plenty there on Saturday blowing horns and banging drums who wouldn't know football if it bit them in the Artichoke.
    Grass roots supporter my arse.
    When I was trying to book family tickets earlier this season, tickets.ie only gave the option of lower cusack and davin, so I assume all other areas are not for kids.
    But can I trust tickets.ie after yesterday's fiasco

To answer 1, I'd say no. If you went to most home league and provincial games you'd be on the right track but just going to an odd later stage game is verging on bandwagon jumping. A season ticket holder has to have attended 60% of games or so to get their right to an all Ireland final ticket, and that'd be a fair characterisation of what a serious fan would be.

2. The family section is mainly filled with clubs ordering tickets. Only €10 for adults and €3 for kids, even for a semi final. If general admission tickets are not on sale and you aren't a member of a club then you could well have difficulty getting a ticket.

Bandwagon jumping?!? Are you serious?
    I'm 100% neutral watching all games and teams from Fermanagh to Kerry

It annoys me when people mention season tickets, like someone from gaa mentioned on matt cooper, the season ticket allocation is closed and hasn't been open in a while

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭omega666

Maybe I'm not being clear here. I live in leixlip but was not born there. I won All Ireland minor club in 1991.
    There'll be plenty there on Saturday blowing horns and banging drums who wouldn't know football if it bit them in the Artichoke.
    When I was trying to book family tickets earlier this season, tickets.ie only gave the option of lower cusack and davin, so I assume all other areas are not for kids.

I think upper Cusack seats kids as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Paulzx

I think people are being completely unfair to you accusing you of being a bandwagoner. You're a GAA fan and have as much right as anyone to try and source a ticket.

I always bring kids to the matches. For all championship games in Croker up to and including the semis 5 euro kids tickets are available for Davin upp and lwr and Cusack Upp and lwr. They are not available for the Hogan. If it's not a sell out you can sometimes pick a kids ticket up for the Hogan at the last minute but this doesn't apply here.

I think sticking a percentage of games attended as a yardstick to measure a bandwagoner is stupid. We should be encouraging new people or variable attenders to go to matches. Everyone has a life that affects their attendance. For example even if Dublin reach the final I won't be able to attend the final due to work commitments. Does that make me a bandwagoner? I'll be screaming me head off in the Cusack on Saturday though:D

Don't be sucked into justifying if you're a serious "fan" or not. A chunk of season ticket holders that I know wouldn't set foot inside the own clubs gates, some never kicked a ball past under 10's... The majority are true fans, but you wouldn't fill the Hill with them.
    There are serious GAA people out there that rarely go to league games, they spend their time out training underage teams, helping out their club etc with their spare time.

There will be thousands of people there that haven't a notion whats going on. One of the good things the GAA does right is make sure to send tickets out to all the other counties come final day, it's a day for all the country and serious GAA people should always be welcome.

There are serious GAA people out there that rarely go to league games, they spend their time out training underage teams, helping out their club etc with their spare time.
    [/QUOTE]

Great point. I struggle to get to league games for that very reason

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Generally kids tickets (on tickets.ie) would be in lower cusack (corners) and davin. Kids would of course be able to sit in any other section but would have to pay full price. I'm open to correction here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

cocoman wrote: »
    Generally kids tickets (on tickets.ie) would be in lower cusack (corners) and davin. Kids would of course be able to sit in any other section but would have to pay full price. I'm open to correction here.

Cusack and Davin are where Kids (and Other concession holders) are. If you want to be in the hogan you gotta pay full whack no matter what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

how hard is it to bring in an option where people who where at the first game get first choice on reply tickets?

bring your ticket to parnell street if that's where you bought it

emailed a unique code if purchase online

very easy and should be brought in

the biggest disgrace was you could buy as many tickets as you wanted in parnell street, limit the tickets!!! disgrace that touts could go in and buy 10 tickets

hate the gaa absolute gangsters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

Why would Donedeal not allow tickets for Saturday to be sold on their site? Do they not normally allow the sale of GAA tickets?

tanko wrote: »
    Why would Donedeal not allow tickets for Saturday to be sold on their site? Do they not normally allow the sale of GAA tickets?

Yes, they do. They have instigated the temporary ban to scupper the plans of the ticket touts who (allegedly) hoovered up a lot of the tickets on Monday.

but1er wrote: »
    how hard is it to bring in an option where people who where at the first game get first choice on reply tickets?

bring your ticket to parnell street if that's where you bought it

emailed a unique code if purchase online

very easy and should be brought in

the biggest disgrace was you could buy as many tickets as you wanted in parnell street, limit the tickets!!! disgrace that touts could go in and buy 10 tickets

hate the gaa absolute gangsters

How Hard?
    Exceptionally hard imo.

How would you suggest the mechanics of that work in the 100 or so hours (40 of which being working hours) between the final whistle and midnight Friday?

And why on earth should online bookings or walk-in purchases be given the chance to re-purchase? The game was a draw, it wasn't cancelled.

Restricting ticket quotas on the other hand is quite simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

I was in the Nally yesterday i've been there several times before. Did anybody notice the overcrowding ? They had people filling up all the steps right to the top. It looked like there was hundreds over capacity there.

Definitely looked overcrowded from where I was sitting in the stand. And they didn't announce the exact attendance (just said full house) which is unusual - think they were trying to cover up that they oversold the the terraces.

PARlance wrote: »
    How Hard?
    Exceptionally hard imo.

How would you suggest the mechanics of that work in the 100 or so hours (40 of which being working hours) between the final whistle and midnight Friday?

And why on earth should online bookings or walk-in purchases be given the chance to re-purchase? The game was a draw, it wasn't cancelled.

Restricting ticket quotas on the other hand is quite simple.

tbf if it was announced before every match, that first come first serve went to people who were at the match, then it would be very easy to do. Barcode on all tickets, if you lose your ticket thats your own loss. Give folk 48 hours to rebuy, give they don't - put those tickets on general sale.

This ticket scramble is unprecedented though. As much stick as people are throwing at how tickets are allocated, there hasn't been this issue all season, even for last Sunday's game. The GAA spokesman on Matt Cooper said as much. They were caught on the hop and didn't expect these issues as, as he said, they've never had them before for a semi final, even games involving the Dubs.

The hype that built up, also built up demand that in turn crashed their systems, which fed the hype. This also attracted the Touts, which again creates a shortage and mini panic. Touts are out there if you look IE

http://www.gumtree.ie/a-tickets/dublin/dublin-v-mayo-tickets-for-sale/1001407392580910407534709

Saying I'm a true fan is easy enough, and there are probably systems that could be set up, but this does seem a special case game wise with only the finals to match the need for such systems.

Putting a limit on ticket sales isn't going to solve the problem of touting. If you want to buy a dozen tickets to sell online for profit, but the limit is 4 tickets per person, then just get a couple of your mates to come along & and queue up with you. You all buy 4 tickets & your mates hand them over to you, as you are buying them a pint in the pub later. Problem solved.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Definitely looked overcrowded from where I was sitting in the stand. And they didn't announce the exact attendance (just said full house) which is unusual - think they were trying to cover up that they oversold the the terraces.

Forgot that totally, behind us in 406 there was a full line, possibly 2 deep of people standing up, not sure were they just lookng for a quick pint and waited there or not, but only remembered it there.

• Advertisement

tbf if it was announced before every match, that first come first serve went to people who were at the match, then it would be very easy to do. Barcode on all tickets, if you lose your ticket thats your own loss. Give folk 48 hours to rebuy, give they don't - put those tickets on general sale.

And the logistics or IT infrastructure around that would be difficult, assuming you did it right and associated an account/name which each barcode, it would need an automated system.

Anyway, it's pretty irrelevant imo because I don't see how tickets that go on general release should be reserved for those who got them the first time around.
    Why should these people get preference?
    If the game was cancelled then sure, give them first refusal. But they got their monies worth...It could have been their first match ever attending.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Putting a limit on ticket sales isn't going to solve the problem of touting. If you want to buy a dozen tickets to sell online for profit, but the limit is 4 tickets per person, then just get a couple of your mates to come along & and queue up with you. You all buy 4 tickets & your mates hand them over to you later, as you are buying them a pint in the pub. Problem solved.

It's not going to solve the problem but anything that makes it harder for them is worth it. If it means that 2 more scrotes have to queue up taking for a few hours of their life, eating into overall profits (for the few pints), then I'm all in favour.
    It's a fairly simple and common sense deterrent that is used worldwide.

And the logistics or IT infrastructure around that would be difficult, assuming you did it right and associated an account/name which each barcode, it would need an automated system.

Anyway, it's pretty irrelevant imo because I don't see how tickets that go on general release should be reserved for those who got them the first time around.
    Why should these people get preference?
    If the game was cancelled then sure, give them first refusal. But they got their monies worth...It could have been their first match ever attending.

It actually wouldn't be that hard to set up at all, all barcodes on tickets are obv on a system somewhere already as they are scanned going into the stadium, you don't need a name with an ticket, just the barcode, (like i said it's your responsibility to look after it) or alternatively you could have it set up like the season ticket - that's all recorded electronically and there are no real problems associated with it?

Therefore for any replays those who went to the first game get first refusal, now you might say why give it to them, the GAA wouldn't exist without the fans, and the grass root supporters, so you should reward folk, and give those a chance to come to the replay ahead of some random Joe who didn't bother getting a ticket for the first game.

It actually wouldn't be that hard to set up at all, all barcodes on tickets are obv on a system somewhere already as they are scanned going into the stadium, you don't need a name with an ticket, just the barcode, (like i said it's your responsibility to look after it) or alternatively you could have it set up like the season ticket - that's all recorded electronically and there are no real problems associated with it?

Therefore for any replays those who went to the first game get first refusal, now you might say why give it to them, the GAA wouldn't exist without the fans, and the grass root supporters, so you should reward folk, and give those a chance to come to the replay ahead of some random Joe who didn't bother getting a ticket for the first game.

If you don't assign the barcode to an ID then you're not doing it right imo.... here Random Joe, have my old ticket as I'm in Spain next weekend. Without ID's you may open up the issue of touts picking up stubs, or paying guys that can't go a small fee.

The GAA has a system in place of rewarding fans (season ticket holders) and good GAA people (via club allocations)... the online and general public sales be it for the first game or a replay are for the "random Joes".

and good GAA people (via club allocations)... the online and general public sales be it for the first game or a replay are for the "random Joes".

That's not necessarily true. I'm a club member but generally buy my tickets through tickets.ie. The allocation is done by a draw so for big matches I won't take the chance on my name been drawn out. I like to have my tickets bought early on and the draws don't be until the week before the match.

Some great suggestions here, but seriously, are the GAA going to go to all this trouble and effort of putting these systems in place to tackle a situation that may only happen once in 10 years? The GAA have replays all the time and nothing like this has ever happened before. The GAA have semi finals all the time and they don't always sell out. There was a replay last year with Mayo and Kerry and there was none of this drama then. But Dublin are involved and the sky falls in?

The GAA definitely need to rethink some of their ticketing strategies, such as having an online ticketing partner whose website can handle heavy traffic without crashing. But this talk of them tracking who went to the first game is unrealistic, seeing as they often can't keep track of the season ticket holders attendance without multiple screw ups.

If you don't assign the barcode to an ID then you're not doing it right imo.... here Random Joe, have my old ticket as I'm in Spain next weekend. Without ID's you may open up the issue of touts picking up stubs, or paying guys that can't go a small fee.

The GAA has a system in place of rewarding fans (season ticket holders) and good GAA people (via club allocations)... the online and general public sales be it for the first game or a replay are for the "random Joes".

Except for no one in Mayo or Dublin can buy a season ticket because they have been sold out for the last few years.

Paulzx wrote: »
    That's not necessarily true. I'm a club member but generally buy my tickets through tickets.ie. The allocation is done by a draw so for big matches I won't take the chance on my name been drawn out. I like to have my tickets bought early on and the draws don't be until the week before the match.

Yip accepted but was trying to use some basic generalisations.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Some great suggestions here, but seriously, are the GAA going to go to all this trouble and effort of putting these systems in place to tackle a situation that may only happen once in 10 years? The GAA have replays all the time and nothing like this has ever happened before. The GAA have semi finals all the time and they don't always sell out. There was a replay last year with Mayo and Kerry and there was none of this drama then. But Dublin are involved and the sky falls in?

The GAA definitely need to rethink some of their ticketing strategies, such as having an online ticketing partner whose website can handle heavy traffic without crashing. But this talk of them tracking who went to the first game is unrealistic, seeing as they often can't keep track of the season ticket holders attendance without multiple screw ups.

There was plenty of drama with last years replay, the fact that the tickets had Limerick printed on them :)

Completely agree, by Friday it will seem like a lot of needless panic imo.
    They can sort out some basic errors and I guess it's a lesson learnt for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

There was plenty of drama with last years replay, the fact that the tickets had Limerick printed on them :)

Completely agree, by Friday it will seem like a lot of needless panic imo.
    They can sort out some basic errors and I guess it's a lesson learnt for them.

Imagine the uproar if the replay was in Limerick!! :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement