Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheapest way to send €9000 to UK

• 30-08-2015 11:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭

I need to send about £6400 to the UK to pay fees for a Masters. The money is to be paid into the account of a University.

I've one quote from my bank (Permanent TSB) via Swift. I've one quote from the Post Office via Sterling Drafts.

Can somebody give me a couple of ideas as to which other methods are there to pay the fees that may be cheaper than the bank rates ?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

Try currency fair or transfermate which should be cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭3DataModem

TransferWise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

Go with an online currency broker. Price all 3 mentioned above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Any way you can convince them to accept a cheque?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Would they take a bank transfer? If you ask for a IBAN you might be able to transfer it that way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

They'll accept a transfer, but even the Post Office is coming in cheaper with Sterling Drafts.

Thanks for the answers so far, seem to be saving €200 at this rate. :)

How secure is TransferWise BTW ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Do a search on here for transferwise etc.
    This question comes up very regularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Try Revolut. It was suggested on Bargain alerts last week, so I havent used it yet. But apparently it gives the best rates. Your bank wont give the best rates on a wire transfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Red Kev wrote: »

How secure is TransferWise BTW ?

I believe that idea is that you transfer money from your bank account (in Ireland) to their account (TransfeWise) and then they transfer the money from their account (Transferwise) to account of person you want to get the money.

Only risk I could think of, is if company went bust at the moment when they actually hold your money, which might be a day or less.
    Seems very unlikely IMO and risk definitely worth to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭by the seaside

CiniO wrote: »
    I believe that idea is that you transfer money from your bank account (in Ireland) to their account (TransfeWise) and then they transfer the money from their account (Transferwise) to account of person you want to get the money.

Only risk I could think of, is if company went bust at the moment when they actually hold your money, which might be a day or less.
    Seems very unlikely IMO and risk definitely worth to take.

Hopefully they keep it in an escrow / client account. Interested as I have the proceeds of a house sale in the UK to transfer to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭SuperO'B

I get paid in USD so need to transfer money quite regularly. Currencyfair is the best I have used. Transferwise I'd stay away from, the rate can change over the days it takes to transfer.

Advertisement