Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving cert subjects

• 31-08-2015 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭

For 5th year/6th year I kept on biology as one of my subjects. My school makes you do at least 7 but I had to pick another (biology). I hate it and I am now starting 6th year failing this course. No matter how hard I try I cannot learn biology and was just wondering if I went about dropping to subject totally can I do that ? Ps I don't want to talk to my biology teacher as we don't get on to well and basically she hates me.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

What would you do during Biology classes? Where would you go? This is what the school will have an issue with.

Nobody can force you to sit the exam. If you don't show up there will be no mention of it on your results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,677 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Don't register to do the subject, when the time comes if you don't want to do it.
    I do know one person who was horrible to our biology teacher and got kicked out of class. He was left sitting in canteen area.(he was a very disruptive student tough)
    I did biology and I hated every minute of it and could barely grasp it.(barely tried in 6th year) I did ordinary level and I think I got a C(something) that wasn't with much effort to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

just go sit in canteen/general purpose area. I know in my school loads of people just sit there and don't go to class and no one say anything to them!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Monkeysgomad

just go sit in canteen/general purpose area. I know in my school loads of people just sit there and don't go to class and no one say anything to them!!!

If you did that in my school you would be asked what your doing, 100%. Also they will ring your parents straight away if your not in class. I'm not disruptive or anything I go to class. I just want to know if it's possible to drop the subject! Thanks

Don't register to do the subject, when the time comes if you don't want to do it.
    I do know one person who was horrible to our biology teacher and got kicked out of class. He was left sitting in canteen area.(he was a very disruptive student tough)
    I did biology and I hated every minute of it and could barely grasp it.(barely tried in 6th year) I did ordinary level and I think I got a C(something) that wasn't with much effort to be honest.

What do you mean don't register ? I'm in 6th year now

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    What would you do during Biology classes? Where would you go? This is what the school will have an issue with.

Nobody can force you to sit the exam. If you don't show up there will be no mention of it on your results.

For people who don't do 8 subjects say people who have exempension from Irish would go to a classroom and do homework or study. I'm not saying I won't sit the exam, of course if I can't drop it I will. I am just seeing if there is a way to drop it in 6th year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

For people who don't do 8 subjects say people who have exempension from Irish would go to a classroom and do homework or study. I'm not saying I won't sit the exam, of course if I can't drop it I will. I am just seeing if there is a way to drop it in 6th year.

If your school has a room you can go to instead of class then there shouldn't be an issue dropping the subject.

It makes no difference whether you register for the subject or not. In the case of Biology, if you do not show up for the exam, no mark will be entered and Biology will not appear on your results.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Ellie1996

Talk to your vice principal, it shouldnt be an issue, lots of people drop subjects

spurious wrote: »
    If your school has a room you can go to instead of class then there shouldn't be an issue dropping the subject.

It makes no difference whether you register for the subject or not. In the case of Biology, if you do not show up for the exam, no mark will be entered and Biology will not appear on your results.

Would it not show up as a n/g ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Would it not show up as a n/g ?

No, the paper would need to be submitted for correction in order to be graded.

• Advertisement

Moody_mona wrote: »
    No, the paper would need to be submitted for correction in order to be graded.

Never knew that, always thought it would still show up! Even though I would prefer to try drop the subject :(

What do you mean don't register ? I'm in 6th year now

At some stage in 6th year. I think it was when we were paying for our leaving. We were asked what level did we want to register for and was their anything we wanted to drop.
    Our school was a very understanding school.

You will only get a mark such as an NG for subjects you do not take the written exam in, but which you have been assigned marks for in another component. For example, if you sit the Irish oral but not the exam, you will get a mark, as Athlone will have received marks for your oral, or if you submit the History RSR or Geography Field Study but don't sit the exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 lalabear53

In my school a girl dropped chem in middle of 6th year and another subject that she was already doing was on at the same time so she just did the subject twice if you get me!

lalabear53 wrote: »
    In my school a girl dropped chem in middle of 6th year and another subject that she was already doing was on at the same time so she just did the subject twice if you get me!

Yeah I get you! So that means it is possible to drop the subject after doing it for a year

• Registered Users Posts: 33 lalabear53

Yeah I get you! So that means it is possible to drop the subject after doing it for a year

She was failing every test so the school let her drop! I suppose it depends on your school/principal though! Its horrible to be doing something you hate!

lalabear53 wrote: »
    She was failing every test so the school let her drop! I suppose it depends on your school/principal though! Its horrible to be doing something you hate!

To the best of my knowledge I don't think they can make you register to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I do know of some people who dropped the 7th subject. When it was on, they either had to sit in the year heads class, or the assembly hall.

I do advise you to be careful if you choose to drop Biology. Your leaving your self tight on room for errors in other subjects.

It's a hard course, but keep practising your papers and you will only get better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Not all schools operate like this. That wouldn't be tolerated in the school I work in. Students are assigned to classes. They can't go wandering of their own accord.

Talk to your teacher OP, even if you don't get on with them. Consider taking the subject at ordinary level. If the pressure really is too much you don't have to sit the subject next June. It won't appear on your cert if you don't sit the exam. If you do drop the subject you could probably sit at the back of the class and study something else. Consider ordinary level before you drop it altogether.

Not all schools operate like this. That wouldn't be tolerated in the school I work in. Students are assigned to classes. They can't go wandering of their own accord.

Talk to your teacher OP, even if you don't get on with them. Consider taking the subject at ordinary level. If the pressure really is too much you don't have to sit the subject next June. It won't appear on your cert if you don't sit the exam. If you do drop the subject you could probably sit at the back of the class and study something else. Consider ordinary level before you drop it altogether.

Yes, this isn't tolerated in my school either it would be to a class you'd be sent.

I'm doing ol Irish and maths and don't want another one really. I'd rather focus my time on business, home ec and German. I find biology very difficult no matter how much time I put in I can't get to grasp it. I'm doing 8 subjects now so if I drop I still have 7.

What does this register thing mean ? Would you not have to register all your subjects your doing ?

• Advertisement

I do know of some people who dropped the 7th subject. When it was on, they either had to sit in the year heads class, or the assembly hall.

I do advise you to be careful if you choose to drop Biology. Your leaving your self tight on room for errors in other subjects.

It's a hard course, but keep practising your papers and you will only get better.

Hi, I have put time in, a lot. I just cannot get it. All the words and its either right or wrong it's get to the point.
    I am doing 8 subjects now so if I dropped I'd have 7 left.

Yes, this isn't tolerated in my school either it would be to a class you'd be sent.

I'm doing ol Irish and maths and don't want another one really. I'd rather focus my time on business, home ec and German. I find biology very difficult no matter how much time I put in I can't get to grasp it. I'm doing 8 subjects now so if I drop I still have 7.

What does this register thing mean ? Would you not have to register all your subjects your doing ?

In around January of Leaving Cert you get a form with your details, exam number, and the subjects you are doing. I think the subjects you are registered for in school are already on it. If you are doing extra subjects outside school etc, you can add them to the form. What freshpopcorn means is that you remove biology from your list of subjects on that form.

Realistically there is no need to do that. The LC costs you the same whether you sit 7 or 8 subjects. If you are registered to sit the exam and don't turn up on the day, then it won't appear on your cert. If you remove it from the list in January, it's more hassle to be added on again if you change your mind.

It might be an idea to try and practice a few past exam papers either at HL or OL to see what they are like. You don't have to do them under test conditions, do them with your textbook, and correct them with the marking schemes. You might find it a bit of help.

Hi, I have put time in, a lot. I just cannot get it. All the words and its either right or wrong it's get to the point.
    I am doing 8 subjects now so if I dropped I'd have 7 left.

Talk to your teacher and your parents and your career guidance counsellor if your school has one, and see what they have to say.

Talk to your teacher and your parents and your career guidance counsellor if your school has one, and see what they have to say.

Yeah I have an appointment made for Friday with her! My parents are okay with me dropping providing I have my other 7 subjects

Advertisement