Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rented Accomodation For Sale, Questions

Options
  • 31-08-2015 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

There's a couple of us renting rooms in a houseshare. The landlord has put the house up for sale (we were given notice to quit before he did, because of the pending sale). The house has just gone from being 'for sale' to being 'sold', per the 'for sale' sign, and the landlord (I wasn't talking to him, but was told that he said that the house has been sold, to another housemate).

I'm just wondering - if the house has been sold, do I still need to pay the landlord rent? Who owns the proprety in the interim? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭CaoimheSquee

The house changes from sale agreed to sold when contracts are signed - the sale still is still to close though so keys etc have not been handed over to new owner.
    I would get on to your landlord ASAP to find out what the closing date is and when the new owners are likely to move in or take over as the time now between sold and closed is never very long at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭ash777

So, basically, once the house becomes officially 'sold', it is no longer the landlord's property, even if keys haven't been handed over?

Does that mean that I'm not required to pay rent to the landlord now?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

What makes you think you'll still be able to stay on in the property once it is sold? The owner will probably be moving in.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭CaoimheSquee

ash777 wrote: »
    So, basically, once the house becomes officially 'sold', it is no longer the landlord's property, even if keys haven't been handed over?

Does that mean that I'm not required to pay rent to the landlord now?

Nope not until the sale is fully closed does ownership transfer. You will need to find out from your landlord when the closing date is and what is happening from then - are you to move out? Have you received notice?
    All I was saying is that the time from sold to closed is usually very quick.

Advertisement