Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Harry Potter taught us about Star Wars

Options
  • 31-08-2015 1:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭

A short video I made about who the real hero of the original trilogy should have been (I'm that type of nerd apparently! :P ). I'd love to hear people's thoughts on it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I enjoyed that, well narrated, high on content, low on bs - just how I like YT vids! It's a valid point you make in the video, Leia could easily have fulfilled the role of the hero given the same environment/training that Luke had. I don't think it's a revolutionary or deeply buried secret though, & we may very well soon see a Leia that exhibits such traits in the forthcoming movie...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

The story lines are similarly traditional. But both suffer from being poorly written with regard to the main character and storyline. Compounded by the use of actors with more experience in supporting roles. So the main character doesn't dominate.

As a result you can read a lot of ambiguity into the storyline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭robdonn

Myrddin wrote: »
    I don't think it's a revolutionary or deeply buried secret though, & we may very well soon see a Leia that exhibits such traits in the forthcoming movie...

Oh, definitely not revolutionary! I got the idea when listening to an interview with Jurassic World director Colin Trevorrow on the Empire podcast. He was talking about when he watched the OT with his son for the first time and his son said he was disappointed to find out Leia was Luke's sister because it meant that Luke wasn't special any more. So, in other words, I stole the idea from a 5 year old. :P

Leia was always a strong character and I think it's going to be mirrored in Rey (Daisy Ridley), I just hope that she actually does a bit of Jedi work. Considering that she is credited on IMDB as just 'Rey', no last name, I think it's safe to assume that she is either Luke or Leia's kid so the same power should be in her. It'd be a waste if she doesn't get to use it.

beauf wrote: »
    As a result you can read a lot of ambiguity into the storyline.

Personally I love a level of ambiguity, as long as it doesn't ruin the film, it allows for so many fun fan theories.

One of my favourite theories is the Midi-chlorians/Emporer theory/fix from the prequels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

robdonn wrote: »
    One of my favourite theories is the Midi-chlorians/Emporer theory/fix from the prequels.

Very interesting, I'd never heard of that & it's brilliant. So simple!

• Advertisement

Myrddin wrote: »
    Very interesting, I'd never heard of that & it's brilliant. So simple!

Yeah, I came across it after watching the Red Letter Media prequel reviews and thought it was genius! The movies could have redeemed themselves.

Personally I love a level of ambiguity, as long as it doesn't ruin the film, it allows for so many fun fan theories.

Nothing wrong with that.

But there's a difference between ambiguous deliberately, and or just bad writing.

I think you'd make a strong movie by using the best character but in an entirely new storyline. The original and prequel one is like a bicycle tube with a thousand patches.

A great point I've seen being raised on another forum was that the 'big reveal' of Darth Vader's true identity would have been even more devastating to Leia since she would have met and battled him many times.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

A great point I've seen being raised on another forum was that the 'big reveal' of Darth Vader's true identity would have been even more devastating to Leia since she would have met and battled him many times.

That's a big "gap" for me, surely someone with such great force ability could sense child with force ability, especially as there were so few force people around after the purge of the Jedi, throw in the fact that Bail Organa would have been in close contact with the Emperour a lot who should have sensed him hiding a massive secret from him makes for a massive plot hole

Kinda hard to explain why Vader didn't sense her any of those times previously then doesn't it. He could sense Luke on a different planet. But not Leia in the same room. Maybe he had force amnesia or force flu. or you could just make anything up and ignore the gaping holes of logic in the storyline.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Kinda hard to explain why Vader didn't sense her any of those times previously then doesn't it. He could sense Luke on a different planet. But not Leia in the same room. Maybe he had force amnesia or force flu.

or you could just make anything up and ignore the gaping holes of logic in the storyline.

When engaged in a space battle he can sense force abilities in a pilot in a X-wing well in front of him but he's not able to detect it when he's standing next to her or even questioning her.

For me the biggest problem with midichlorians is that they can be tested for in a simple test that can be done by a normal ship in orbit over a planet after a little prick, surely if you're going to be torturing someone with a scary ball floating in the air with needles surely you'd do a quick test on their blood.

Kinda hard to explain why Vader didn't sense her any of those times previously then doesn't it. He could sense Luke on a different planet. But not Leia in the same room. Maybe he had force amnesia or force flu. or you could just make anything up and ignore the gaping holes of logic in the storyline.

The Emperor was able to mask his Force powers from the entire Jedi Council, including Yoda. It may be hard to do, but it is possible. When Luke first encountered Vader his only experience with the Force was sparring with a little droid on the Falcon, with a longer period to train Leia could very well have been able to master that talent.

But as Clareman rightly pointed out, it makes no sense that Bail Organa was able to hide just a big secret from them for so long. Since that hole is ignored in the trilogy as it is, we can likely ignore it in the alternative timeline.

Advertisement