Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need advice on appealing my result

• 31-08-2015 8:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

I need help, I got a HD1 in English and viewed my script, I'm one percent (4 marks) off a a C3. The corrector gave me a C3 at first but then crossed it out and put it to a D1. My english teacher said to definitely get it checked and the worst case scenario is that I stay at a D1, and I won't be dropped to a D2. My teacher and I did discover that the corrector missed out on some mistakes, but I'm not sure that there would be enough to drop me. We saw a few examples of poor expression that the corrector hadn't picked up on and in my literary genre answer I got the texts mixed up for one paragraph towards the end of the essay.
    My teacher still reckons with the observations report I should get 4 marks to get the one percent. I asked my teacher would the corrector bring it down to a D2, and my teacher (Who has a lot of experience in correcting and recently got promotion ) said that he doesn't see it dropping. What should I do?
    I just want second opinions.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Solely from your post,
    - you have plenty examples of where you lost marks and made mistakes.
    - no examples of why you should go up a grade.

They don't bump up the grades for fun, there has to be a legitimate reason.
    If you think they will bump it up 1% trust me they won't, unless there is a valid reason.

Without seeing your script it's hard to say.
    If your teacher is an experienced corrector then they should know what they are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭rockerdude15

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    Solely from your post,
    - you have plenty examples of where you lost marks and made mistakes.
    - no examples of why you should go up a grade.

They don't bump up the grades for fun, there has to be a legitimate reason.
    If you think they will bump it up 1% trust me they won't, unless there is a valid reason.

Without seeing your script it's hard to say.
    If your teacher is an experienced corrector then they should know what they are doing.

Thanks I know. My teacher has made legitimate reasons that my I could get an extra two marks in P and C in essay and another reason was to do with the literary genre essay.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Unless you need it for a course I wouldn't bother, but it's your money, your choice.

spurious wrote: »
    Unless you need it for a course I wouldn't bother, but it's your money, your choice.

Would a D1 look bad on my cv?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 421 ✭✭tomhenryford

How many other HC3 + subjects have you got? You usually need 2 for any Level 8 course. If you have a minimum of 2 of those grades, I'd leave it to be honest.

• Advertisement

How many other HC3 + subjects have you got? You usually need 2 for any Level 8 course. If you have a minimum of 2 of those grades, I'd leave it to be honest.
    I do all higher except for maths and I got above HC3 in those subjects

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

No, it's nearly a C3. There's only a few percentage in the difference anyway.

You might be surprised how many employers decide about you when they meet you, without even looking at your results. There are many much more important qualities for an employer than the grade you got in English. You could have As coming out your backside, but if you get into work late every day, or mumble at customers, or doss about you won't last long.

Your cover letter or CV itself will tell employers if your English up to scratch.

spurious wrote: »
    No, it's nearly a C3. There's only a few percentage in the difference anyway.

You might be surprised how many employers decide about you when they meet you, without even looking at your results. There are many much more important qualities for an employer than the grade you got in English. You could have As coming out your backside, but if you get into work late every day, or mumble at customers, or doss about you won't last long.

Your cover letter or CV itself will tell employers if your English up to scratch.
    True, but I'm only one percent off and have a valid reason to be marked up and I'm worried I'd regret not getting it remarked.

I do all higher accept for maths and I got above HC3 in those subjects

That sounds pretty respectable to me. When you asked if a D would look bad, if it was me looking at it on a CV, I would look at the whole picture. For example, you could have a student whose first language isn't English and yet they get 500+ and got a bad grade in English and then you could have the likes of me who got a pretty crap 350 points (crap for me, in terms of what I could have gotten) and I got an A in higher level English.

So if I was comparing those two sets, I'd choose the 500+ regardless of their grade in English.

So, I'd only get it rechecked if you really, really think you should and will go up, otherwise it's not really worth the risk imo.

That sounds pretty respectable to me. When you asked if a D would look bad, if it was me looking at it on a CV, I would look at the whole picture. For example, you could have a student whose first language isn't English and yet they get 500+ and got a bad grade in English and then you could have the likes of me who got a pretty crap 350 points (crap for me, in terms of what I could have gotten) and I got an A in higher level English.

So if I was comparing those two sets, I'd choose the 500+ regardless of their grade in English.

So, I'd only get it rechecked if you really, really think you should and will go up, otherwise it's not really worth the risk imo.

I got 420 and I could've done way better and your right, there is a risk.
    I mean there were a lot of mistakes that the examiner didn't see so I don't know.
    Plus my english teacher said he doesn't see it going down.

• Advertisement

True, but I'm only one percent off and have a valid reason to be marked up and I'm worried I'd regret not getting it remarked.

On reflection, if you're only 1% off then maybe go for it. Your teacher should be able to tell if there is a possibility of a drop of 4% on a remark in comparison to a 1% increase.

On reflection, if you're only 1% off then maybe go for it. Your teacher should be able to tell if there is a possibility of a drop of 4% on a remark in comparison to a 1% increase.

I'm on 216 and 220 would give me a c3, 199 in a D2

I'm on 216 and 220 would give me a c3, 199 in a D2

You could look at it like this, on paper, there is a big difference between a C grade and a D grade but is there really that much difference between D's, if I was an employer, I'd look at it that a D is a D but I'd look at a C differently to a D, if you get me.

If, dropping from the D1 to a D2 isn't going to cause you to lose a course place due to the drop in points that I think it probably is worth getting it rechecked.

I just want a C grade

If you want to appeal it, appeal it.

My teacher strongly recommends that I appeal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

If, dropping from the D1 to a D2 isn't going to cause you to lose a course place due to the drop in points that I think it probably is worth getting it rechecked.

You won't lose a course you've already accepted/begun if you appeal a grade and it drops.

Obviously though it could be an issue if OP was to ever apply to CAO again in future as their points would be lower than currently if the grade drops.

OP do you need a 5 point increase for a course you want or anything? If not, going up or staying the same isn't going to make a huge difference to your life. If an employer asks for your LC results in the future, they will look at the whole picture like another poster said. It is extremely unlikely they'll ever say 'oh if only they had a C3 instead of a D1 in English then we would've given them this job'. However, your posts would indicate that you wish to appeal it, if only for the sake of it. If it'll give you peace of mind just go for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

My teacher strongly recommends that I appeal.

Can you afford the €40? That's really the only question you need to answer.

You've said it's for yourself and not for college entry.

There are two things that will happen on appeal.

1. You'll get upgraded to C3 and get your money back
    2. You'll remain at D1 and lose your €40.

if you don't appeal, option 2 stands. If you appeal, either could happen.

Advertisement