Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some Questions about my Book-keeping Accounts

Options
  • 31-08-2015 8:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭

Hello

I am self-employed and am sorting out my accounts.
    I did a short book-keeping course during the summer and I think I have a system in place (Purchases & sales book, etc). I think I can do the P&L account too.

I just have some questions - where do you put the Start up costs in the P&L account?
    Also do you itemise the start up costs (with receipts) or just add them as a lump sum in a folder?

I can't afford to hire a book-keeper/accountant - maybe next year when my business earnings improve.

I'm attempting to submit my tax return today (if I don't get it done, I'll have to do the self assessment in October. In other words I'm not putting myself under pressure to get it done today, but it would help! :) )

A Question I've heard multiple answers for - I'm renting a house and work at least 60hours from home - can I submit receipts in my tax return?

Thank you

P.S. I'll probably have more questions as day progresses! Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭KlausFlouride

With regard to the claiming rent, it's a grey area...This is probably a good rule of thumb.

"Home as office expenses should be charged pro rata to the amount of space being used to run the business (typically less than 10% of the area of the house). Excessive claims of 50% or 75% of the house costs have been made. Revenue will examine excessive claims for reasonableness"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

Thanks KlausFlouride for that. I'm glad I can submit some of it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Cutting it fine! I forgot about the deadline today and had to fly through it last week hope you're able to get it in on time!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I wouldn't include rent as an office expense. The money your business is paying as rent benefits you financially so you could be taxed on it.

There's a tax deadline? :eek:

I think the case here is the rent is being paid to a third party tho..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

As you say, it's a grey area. Does office expenses include rent? Or it it just utilities like electricity/phone etc?

As you say, it's a grey area. Does office expenses include rent? Or it it just utilities like electricity/phone etc?

I'd include with Utilities, it's Property/Plant/Equipment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

I just have some questions - where do you put the Start up costs in the P&L account?

What start up costs are you talking about - Fixed Assets? Did you cover depreciation in your BK course?

Advertisement