Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buxus leaves yellowish, help!

Options
  • 31-08-2015 8:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭

Pls help!! I cant find any proper information on this specifically in google. I planted lots of buxus there some months ago and now I see the tips and margins/border of the leaves are going a yellowish creamy colour. They're all going the same, even the ones I have in pots and the ones in the ground, please don't tell me they're dying! What could this be?
    Heres a pic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I am not totally certain, but I had mature box that had a varigation not unlike that. Do you know what the cultivar is (name of plant)? I don't think it is anything to get worried about. Could you take a sprig back to the place you bought them?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Are the plants showing signs of stress? Regular feeding and watering will rectify.

The plants appear to very small and the grass too close for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Are the plants showing signs of stress? Regular feeding and watering will rectify.

The plants appear to very small and the grass too close for me?

Theres about a foot to a foot and a half around them grass free, I actually have a wire mesh bordering them to prevent the dogs peeing on them so the surrounding grass needs to be clipped. Would it be damaging if the grass is too close? They are small but have had new growth all summer, the yellowish tips and border on leaves appeared recently. Im watering them well (I dont think Im over watering) but haven't fed for awhile.

Thats what Im asking, is there something wrong with them? I don't know if they are stressed or not. Surely Id be unfortunate for every single one, the ones in pots included to be dying?

looksee wrote: »
    I am not totally certain, but I had mature box that had a varigation not unlike that. Do you know what the cultivar is (name of plant)? I don't think it is anything to get worried about. Could you take a sprig back to the place you bought them?

Thanks, I hope your right! I'll take a sprig to the garden centre next week, just hoping for reassurance in the meantime:( :)

Eta: Buxus sempervirens is all the sticker says they are, but I think theres different variations of these too and I don't know the variation. Easy to tell Im not a natural gardener.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭rje66

Have a look for box blight, looks like it might be early signs of it

• Advertisement

rje66 wrote: »
    Have a look for box blight, looks like it might be early signs of it

No, apparently box blight starts with brown lesions on the leaves and then severe die back, mentions nothing about yellowish tips and margins.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Berberis

You say you planted them a few months ago. Did they come straight out of a tunnel do you know.
    They look to me like they are a bit shook/ weather damaged. I've had buxus like that before after I've planted out some tender ones, but they recovered by the following summer once they had a chance to establish themselves and settle in.
    Newly planted shrubs would not have had a great start this summer. Normally the main thing is to keep them water the first summer. But this summer another worry IMO would be protecting them from the mad rain and wind we have had this summer.

I'm not sure if they were in a tunnel, but I got them in Aldi so they probably were raised inside? Theres something that Ive just realised all the inside leaves are proper green, its just the outer ones that are like this, don't know if thats a good sign?

I think I've eventually found the problem -- windburn!!! Saw a pic of damaged leaves on a gardening site from wind, the leaves looked exactly like mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

yeah, came on this thread to suggest that. Clue was that they were all affected the same. and not at the bottom (dog pee) or in patches (same thing) and only at the tips with the rest of the plant looking fairly healthy. Good luck.

• Advertisement

tampopo wrote: »
    yeah, came on this thread to suggest that. Clue was that they were all affected the same. and not at the bottom (dog pee) or in patches (same thing) and only at the tips with the rest of the plant looking fairly healthy. Good luck.

Thanks,, I think its a lot of the new growth thats been affected worse too, I'm feeling better now I've put a lot of work into these yokes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭dieseldog

We have quite a few of these at church only planted last year. Only the ones near the downpipe gullies are yellowish. When there is heavy rain, the downpipes overflow in the gully providing only the yellow plants with excess water. So they're too wet basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭m0nsterie

dieseldog wrote: »
    We have quite a few of these at church only planted last year. Only the ones near the downpipe gullies are yellowish. When there is heavy rain, the downpipes overflow in the gully providing only the yellow plants with excess water. So they're too wet basically.

Agreed, looks more like waterlogging due to all the rain we had. Be careful, if you think it's windburn you might be tempted to over-water. No need in our climate I think.

Thank you, should I water anymore from now on? Should I stop watering until next spring?

ETA: whats confusing me about this though is that I've looked into perhaps I've overwatered them, and the symptoms of this is more pure yellow leaves, the leaves on mine only have a yellowish margin and its only on the outer leaves.?

maggiepip wrote: »
    Thank you, should I water anymore from now on? Should I stop watering until next spring?

ETA: whats confusing me about this though is that I've looked into perhaps I've overwatered them, and the symptoms of this is more pure yellow leaves, the leaves on mine only have a yellowish margin and its only on the outer leaves.?

I'm not an expert but I do have a lot of box myself which is why I have looked into the different issues. I would have thought the initial outer yellowing is a first reaction to too much water (or water around the roots), it does seem fairly mild though at this point so they could recover easily. I would just let them be over the autumn and winter and not water unless we have a sudden dry heatwave (unlikely!). Let the rain take care fo that.

Windburn I think would tend to show as browner and sometimes crinkled leaves, i.e. the wind has dried the leaves up. Your leaves don't look dry.

m0nsterie wrote: »
    I'm not an expert but I do have a lot of box myself which is why I have looked into the different issues. I would have thought the initial outer yellowing is a first reaction to too much water (or water around the roots), it does seem fairly mild though at this point so they could recover easily. I would just let them be over the autumn and winter and not water unless we have a sudden dry heatwave (unlikely!). Let the rain take care fo that.

Windburn I think would tend to show as browner and sometimes crinkled leaves, i.e. the wind has dried the leaves up. Your leaves don't look dry.

Thanks thats very helpful, hopefully they'll be ok, unfortunately I just watered them again yesterday :( Its hard to know how much water to give, they've been getting about three quarters a large watering can, maybe 8 - 10 litres twice a week since I planted them, the ground never got soggy though just damp. Everything I read said to water lots in the beginning.

maggiepip wrote: »
    Thanks thats very helpful, hopefully they'll be ok, unfortunately I just watered them again yesterday :( Its hard to know how much water to give, they've been getting about three quarters a large watering can, maybe 8 - 10 litres twice a week since I planted them, the ground never got soggy though just damp. Everything I read said to water lots in the beginning.

Box is very resilient anyway so hopefully all will be fine.

Advertisement