Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another problem neighbour

Options
  • 31-08-2015 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭

I've a friend who is having a few problems with her next door neighbour.. The neighbour has a car, a large enough speed boat and a big van.. His driveway will only him to park the boat and car, he doesn't like to block his own driveway so parks up towards hers, resulting in her having to block their driveway with their second car ( she can only park one car in hers). She started leaving her car parked in a position that it wasn't blocking her driveway, it's still parallel to her front garden so therefore not blocking the neighbours. Now he is after either buying or borrowing a clapped up old car which has all flat tyres and falling apart from another neighbour and has it plonked outside her house, she she has no choice but to block her driveway. He's refused to move it and it appears like he's looking for a reaction which she won't give!
    The car is untaxed and not insured as far as she can make out, can she contact the guards and would it be removed?

I apologise for the long post, difficult to explain in a couple of sentences!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

m'lady wrote: »
    The car is untaxed and not insured as far as she can make out, can she contact the guards and would it be removed?

If it's untaxed, report it to the Gardai. They will have it towed away. Unless, of course, it's been declared off the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Thanks for your reply Paulw.. I never thought of the chance that it could be declared off the road, do you know can you park a car out on a road in that case? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Paulw wrote: »
    If it's untaxed, report it to the Gardai. They will have it towed away. Unless, of course, it's been declared off the road.

If its declared off the road, and its in a public place/road it can be towed as far as I recall.

Thanks dobsdave, I certainly am hoping so, at this stage she's tearing her hair out.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Kevg268

It can't be towed unless it's in use and parking is "not in use". there is nothing stopping him from parking anywhere except if he is blocking your driveway. It's is abandoned and has no reg plated then the council can tow it but the estate has to be maintained by the council and therefore a public road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,521 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its hard to see how adding another car to the mix is going to help the parking issues. However if it is abandoned/parked in that condition with no tax/insurance/nct on a public road, report it. Both to the gardai and to the council.

Kevg268 wrote: »
    It can't be towed unless it's in use and parking is "not in use". there is nothing stopping him from parking anywhere except if he is blocking your driveway. It's is abandoned and has no reg plated then the council can tow it but the estate has to be maintained by the council and therefore a public road.

You can't park an untaxed car on a public road, parking counts as use in this instance. It can be towed.

Wardens ticket parked cars for no tax all the time.

Kevg268 wrote: »

No Kevg268, it's not abandoned as he has moved it on a couple of occasions, it has reg plates, just about all it has. I was always under the inpression that you couldn't park an untaxed car anywhere other than your own driveway?
    Anyways thanks for your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Report it . Is the Best option .

Dont say its the neighbours. Just say à car has been abandoned outside your house

looksee wrote: »
    Its hard to see how adding another car to the mix is going to help the parking issues. However if it is abandoned/parked in that condition with no tax/insurance/nct on a public road, report it. Both to the gardai and to the council.

I know looksee, it's actually affecting him too, it seems like he's doing it just to stop her from being able to park outside her front garden, this guy thinks he owns the road!

• Advertisement

Report it . Is the Best option .

Dont say its the neighbours. Just say à car has been abandoned outside your house

Good idea, but won't the guards see that it's registered in neighbours name, or should she just play dumb?!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Kevg268

you can't park an untaxed car on a public road and you would receive a parking ticket but the Gardai can not tow it unless "it's in use". so if you ring the Gardai they can issue a ticket to the registered owner but can not tow it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Good idea, but won't the guards see that it's registered in neighbours name, or should she just play dumb?!

Nothing to do with you. Just call playing out the senario s makes no difference . I would call council and guards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Paulw wrote: »
    If it is declared off the road then it must not be on the public road(not even to facilitate loading onto a transporter) at any time during the period it is declared off the road
    It doesn't matter that it is rgistered, the Gardai can still fine the registered owner for no tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 TheNewMe

This happened to me. I called the council and told them that my neighbour was parking an old junk car outside my house for months on end. They told me that they would send him a letter requiring him to move it or else they would move it at his expense. They said they would not tell my neighbour who contacted them.

Two weeks later the car was gone for good. Best part was that another neighbour subsequently mentioned to me that he had been talking to the car owner about moving the car at the same time I was talking to the council :)

The only thing the council asked me was whether the estate had been taken in charge by the council and it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I was always under the inpression that you couldn't park an untaxed car anywhere other than your own driveway?
    Have him hit with fines. He'll then have to tax a car that's not being used.

You say he moves it around the place; does he drive it from A to B, whilst on the public road? Check if it has an insurance disk, and if it's not insured, advise the Gardai if you have seen him drive it around.

Don't get it towed yet. Try to get him with a few fines first.

I wonder can he be fined because his wheels are flat? Surely not's not safe....?

the_syco wrote: »
    Have him hit with fines. He'll then have to tax a car that's not being used.

You say he moves it around the place; does he drive it from A to B, whilst on the public road? Check if it has an insurance disk, and if it's not insured, advise the Gardai if you have seen him drive it around.

Don't get it towed yet. Try to get him with a few fines first.

I wonder can he be fined because his wheels are flat? Surely not's not safe....?

I love your way of thinking! When I say he moves it, I meant he will move it up slightly towards her end and back a bit ( to block his monstrosity of a boat!) but it's still making her unable to park her car without blocking driveway. There's no insurance or NCT disc displayed as well as tax.

How could he get hit with fines first before it being towed?
    Thanks for your reply!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

There's no insurance or NCT disc displayed as well as tax.

How could he get hit with fines first before it being towed?
    Thanks for your reply!
    To be on the road at all even just sitting in the same spot for months/years legally it must be taxed! If it has been declared off the road then it has to be "off" the road, It is not even allowed onto the road when being loaded onto a transporter. If on the road and untaxed he can be fined again and again and again.........

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭sonyvision

Does your neighbour known if this is a privately owned house or if he is renting from a landlord or council? If its a council house you can make a complaint regarding his boat, a driveway is used to park a motor vehicle been driven. As soon as a boat, trailer, or any such object is parked and not been moved I think its 9 months a year it will be classed as storage not for the driveway use. They can insist on it been moved.

I will find a link if required

sonyvision wrote: »
    Does your neighbour known if this is a privately owned house or if he is renting from a landlord or council? If its a council house you can make a complaint regarding his boat, a driveway is used to park a motor vehicle been driven. As soon as a boat, trailer, or any such object is parked and not been moved I think its 9 months a year it will be classed as storage not for the driveway use. They can insist on it been moved.

I will find a link if required

Sorry for the delay in my reply... It's a privately owned house unfortunately.. I actually looked up the boat laws myself only the other day and can see even in a private house that 9 month rule applies but seemingly he does move it once a year for a couple of months, actually she told me he's moved it since the weekend and it hasn't returned but the banger of a car is still there, his van blocking the footpath and his car parked in drive!

Thanks for your help..

• Advertisement
Advertisement