Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picking apples early for Cider

Options
  • 31-08-2015 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

We're making cider again this year, but it looks like the crows are going to take all of our apples. Should we pick them before they're fully ripe, and bank on sweetening the brew later on with sugar?
    One of the lads suggested this, but it sound like ballcocks to me...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I'd imagine they'll ripen slightly in storage, but they may not produce as much juice. The sugar all turns to alcohol during fermentation so you're not losing sweetness, but potential alcohol content. Perhaps some form of scarecrow?

raw-1347281529-595x417.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

We're making cider again this year, but it looks like the crows are going to take all of our apples. Should we pick them before they're fully ripe, and bank on sweetening the brew later on with sugar?
    One of the lads suggested this, but it sound like ballcocks to me...

Usually it common to let the apples reset a week or two after picking before pressing . But I would opt of them to ripen on the tree rather than adding any sugar

Maybe netting over the tree maybe help with the magpie issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭epicmoe

Should be ripe or almost so before picking. They should b left in a shed for a couple of weeks after, but this is to let them rest and mature, not for ripening.

Advertisement