Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 6 - picture resolution issue

• 31-08-2015 11:42am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have an iPhone 6 Plus using iOS 8.4.1. I started using the phone last December and was very impressed with the picture quality but about 6 weeks ago I noticed the quality of pictures & videos had reduced dramatically. This coincided with me starting to use iCloud Photo Library around the same time.

The reduction in quality is noticeable even when I am about to take a photo - the resolution is noticeably reduced while looking at the subject.

Using iCloud Photo Library I've looked back at some of the photos taken when I first got the phone and they are all about 2.5 MB in size whereas recent ones I have taken are between 0.5 MB and 1.4 MB.

I've read online that the 6 is capable of shooting 5 MB images - how can I improve the image quality? Thanks in advance for the help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51 ✭✭catfax

Go into settings\iCloud\Photos and change it to "download and keep originals", the "optimize storage" option is meant to prevent your photo library from overloading your storage so it does lower resolution photos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭madds

Thanks but my understanding is that if I choose to instead 'Optimize iPhone Storage' the original hi-res photos & videos will be stored in iCloud right? I took a couple of photos this morning (kids heading back to school) and here's what I saw:

1) grainy picture quality when lining up kids just before I took the picture
    2) low-res photos stored on phone in Photos after I took the pictures
    3) low-res photos uploaded to iCloud

Basically I'm not seeing any hi-res photos either in my Photo Stream or in the iCloud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Some 6 plus have a problem with the camera and are eligible for replacement. Contact Apple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭Stenth

You can check if your iPhone 6 plus is faulty by typing in your serial number here: https://www.apple.com/support/iphone6plus-isightcamera/

(See and copy your serial number by clicking Settings -> General -> About on the phone.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭madds

Stenth wrote: »
    You can check if your iPhone 6 plus is faulty by typing in your serial number here: https://www.apple.com/support/iphone6plus-isightcamera/

(See and copy your serial number by clicking Settings -> General -> About on the phone.)

Thanks, confirmed my unit is 'eligible for this program'. As it's a work phone I'll have our IT team manage this.

Thanks all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Cheers lads for this thread.
    Just bought an iPhone 6 plus and found the pics crappy. Put the serial number in am eligible for isight fix.
    Rang Apple just now and are organising to fix it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

They should do a recall on the moon crescent as well. Mine was fixed but is coming back. I'm not happy about this.

Advertisement