Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adult Vaccinations

• 31-08-2015 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

I have recently taken in my brothers 9 year old dog. He has never had any vaccinations or been to the vets (he was never sick). Should I vaccinate him? My other dog is vaccinated. What vaccinations would he need? Would it be the same as a puppy or just a booster/ 7 in 1?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Your vet would be the best one to call.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

The vet will probably try to pressure you into getting the vaccinations - if the dog is 9 then I wouldn't bother tbh.
    I'm in a similar quandry myself deciding what to do. My girl is 2 and had her lepto booster on Friday and has had the runs and been off form since - I don't want her to have it again :( My boy is 6 and due his in the next few weeks - I'm going to get him titre tested for the core ones which leaves lepto and KC. Vet talked/guilt tripped me into getting KC last time I was annoyed with myself after especially when Lucy was miserable for days after the initial Lepto and KC :(. They don't swim in stagnant/standing water - it's all river/stream/sea so I don't think the risk of lepto is high enough after reading up on it more?

The only time you may need the vaccinations is if you were going to put the dog in a kennel - they may require them?

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

Im not sure about a dog of 9 years but I personally would look to get at least their core vaccines done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

I agree with tk123, I wouldn't get him done either, and the vet will try to pressure you into it. My view now (and I did lots of my own research) is to get the first shots done then the 1 year booster and leave it at that. I stopped getting yearly boosters a long time ago (I'm convinced they caused certain skin issues with one of my dogs too). At 9 years old the dog is obviously doing well with a good immune system I would guess, so I'd leave it be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

I would recommend bringing him to a vet. You don't say what breed he is but at 9 he is old for some breeds and like aging humans his immune system may not be what it was. We can all do with a health check now and then and dogs are the same particularly if this guy has never had his heart checked out or anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

At 9, I'd probably leave it. There are lots of pros and cons to vaccines, to the point that I generally prefer not to advise as I don't think I really know enough. The only thing is that most kennels require them or if you want to get a pet passport you'd need them so basically if you don't have someone to mind your dogs vaccines are going to be needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Vets don't pressure you into getting vaccinations for the craic. Older animals can be more susceptible to infections so I would go to your vet and at least discuss it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Vets don't pressure you into getting vaccinations for the craic. Older animals can be more susceptible to infections so I would go to your vet and at least discuss it.

Some vets are clueless though. A titre test for the core vaccinations is the best compromise IMO. My boy had one done a couple of weeks ago and has strong immunity for parvo and hepatitis but none for distemper which according to the vet isn't a problem so no over vaccinating for him. We'll get the titre done again in 3 years - hopefully my own vet will stock it by next year when my other dog is due the test so I can give them my money instead of somebody else!

Advertisement