Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Brew Temperature Controller

Options
  • 31-08-2015 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭

Hi, I'm in middle of making up a plastic brew pot with kettle elements, this is the straight forward part, I've an idea in my head to control the temperature someway. If someone has one done up can you tell me what you did and where you got the parts. So I presume I'll need some sort of thermowell with a thermocouple or temperature sensor, a control unit, a relay or maybe a contactor. A method to switch the heat on and off if it goes over a certain point. It's probably straight forward enough for someone in the know but Id appreciate any help. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭calnand

Is the temperature control for mash run, kettle or hlt? The temperature controller most people use when it comes to heating is a pid controller, they can handle it better than the stc can. You van pick for up for ~20 on eBay, just make sure you get one with the ssr and heatsink included. And then Google how to assemble it, but if possible have someone with electrical skills give it the once over.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭BPH

Thanks,
    I was on google and came across the pid controller around the same time I read your response. I spotted this on ebay later, http://www.ebay.ie/itm/201381968354?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT. I presume this is what you are on about. Another query, what do you do with the thermocouple, do you have it in a thermowell or just stick it into the brew itself ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Here's what I do

Heat water up to strike temp for mash. put water into mash vessel
    add grain.
    check temp
    Go away and leave the mash with a few stirs and temp checks over the hour

sparge

boil - temp limited by the boiling temp of the wort

chill

add to fermenter, wrap in a blanket to keep the light out

wait 3 weeks, bottle

Insulate your mash vessel and you won't have any noticible temp drop over the mash. You can always decoct some sweet liquor and heat that to maintain temp or just add more hot water.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭anthonyvbyrne

I wrap my vessel in an electric blanket. I check the tempo every morning. If below 20 apply heat if above 20 leave it. Electric blankie is a very gentle heater. And is a perfect insulation jacket too. Worked very well on my last brew.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭RandomUsername

I've a 50w adjustable aquarium heater heating a water filled container that the fv Is sitting in its been perfect so far

• Advertisement
Advertisement