Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last min checks before signing the lease today

Options
  • 31-08-2015 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭

I am meant to be paying the deposit and first months rent later today when I meet with the agent for the second time.

Before I hand over the money. What last min details should I be checking, I read the sticky above about renting but can't find some answers, I believe after today my power will be much lass as the money will be handed over etc etc

House is in a small county town..
    should I request for the locks to be changed, the previous tenant has moved out just recently and could have easily kept a key, (no house alarm etc).

Should I know the ber details of the property?

Should I request a Hoover and microwave etc today? Etc
    Nothing has been signed yet but my reference has come back good etc etc

Any last min advice welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

i would ask for the locks to be changed. A good landlord will have a few different barrels and keys and alternate each tenancy.

A ber is a requirement for letting, and should have been in the ad. It's pretty use.less though unless you think the house will be very cold, damp, has single glazing etc, and therefore your heating bill will be sky high.

Microwave is mandatory for letting, a Hoover is not. Was there no microwave on your first viewing?

Take todays newspaper and take pics of every room with it in it. Check for any damage already present and take pictures of them too. Make sure you get an inventory of everything in the house, it should be part of the lease

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭piobhan

i would ask for the locks to be changed. A good landlord will have a few different barrels and keys and alternate each tenancy.

A ber is a requirement for letting, and should have been in the ad. It's pretty use.less though unless you think the house will be very cold, damp, has single glazing etc, and therefore your heating bill will be sky high.

Microwave is mandatory for letting, a Hoover is not. Was there no microwave on your first viewing?

Take todays newspaper and take pics of every room with it in it. Check for any damage already present and take pictures of them too. Make sure you get an inventory of everything in the house, it should be part of the lease

Thanks for the above,
    There was a microwave alright. There was carpet stains which agent said would be cleaned so time will tell. There was no mention of a BER,

I doubt anything will have changed with the locks but I will chance my arm today and ask, got the impression landlord didn't fancy spending any money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

You can always ask the landlord if you can change the locks yourself ( costs 15 euro) and give him a key. Then when you are moving out you'll replace the barrel back to the old one.

Also check everything works. Turn on every light switch and every machine ( perhaps not at the same time!)

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭prettyrestless

Check that the heating works and ask when the boiler was last service / chimney was last cleaned (if applicable)

Check that there are smoke alarms and a fire blanket (legally required) and a carbon monoxide alarm if there is a boiler.

Check all downstairs windows to make sure they are secure - locks not broken etc.

Check the electric shower / immersion is working and that the water pressure is ok

Flush the toilet to make sure it fills up again (bad experience - toilet took three hours to refill and I moved in on a Saturday. Horrible weekend lugging buckets of water around.)

Advertisement