Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self build - Labour Invoices

Options
  • 31-08-2015 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hello,

I am doing a self build at the moment where I am the registered as the self builder. My tradesmen are all registered C2 companies.

I am agreeing a cash price with many of these. My way of looking is that it is these companies responsibility to pay their own taxes, once I agree a price with them I am under no obligation to make sure tax is being paid.

Am I correct or am I at risk?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Strolling Bones

Congratulations.
    You have your own registration body to assist you here

• Registered Users Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭893bet

You would think so......but you are the main contractor so can be held accountable.

893bet wrote: »
    you are the main contractor so can be held accountable.

for Tax , VAT , planning and building reg compliance , suitability of materials , workmanship and all defects arising in the future to all who may buy , rent or live in your building.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

kav2011 wrote: »
    Hello,

I am doing a self build at the moment where I am the registered as the self builder. My tradesmen are all registered C2 companies.

I am agreeing a cash price with many of these. My way of looking is that it is these companies responsibility to pay their own taxes, once I agree a price with them I am under no obligation to make sure tax is being paid.

Am I correct or am I at risk?

Thanks

What's your understanding of this phrase?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 kav2011

I am open to correction but I don't believe I am the main contractor. As I am not a contractor and I don't have a VAT number.

Being the self builder isn't the same as being a registered ltd company, which is what my builder would be if I wasn't to go down the direct labour route.

And even in the non direct labour situation, say a builder hires a painter for example who is a registered C2 company. Is it not still the painters responsibility to submit his tax returns?

Strolling Bones, where did you see the Tax,vat part stated below re self builder?

• Advertisement

kav2011 wrote: »
    Strolling Bones, where did you see the Tax,vat part stated below re self builder?

don't pay any attention to me

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

as a self builder, You have declared yourself the main contractor. We will not be debating your tax affairs in this forum, we respect the law here, please visit the tax forum for info on your tax responsibilities

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement