Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Co-ed or Mixed for Girls

Options
  • 31-08-2015 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi All,

I would be interested in hearing your views on Co-ed or single sex education for Secondary Girls. While most of literature seems to indicate girls do academically better in single sex, the literature seems to be outdated. I would be interested to hear from both co-ed and single sex on your experiences and opinions.

Many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Moved from North West.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There may be a slight academic advantage for girls in single sex, but it's far outweighed by the social plusses of co-ed.
    How a girl (or boy) does at school is mainly influenced by the home and the attitude to education and academic success at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Delta7

Hi

Thank you for feedback, I had thought along those lines but was curious to hear others opinions.

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3 KunKun

Single sex is the way to go. Sports Wise anyway. Depends on person generally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Rorok

Doesn't really make a difference, besides a small one in the amount of teams. However it would most likely boost their confidence going to a mixed, as some kids get really nervous talking to the other gender

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Interesting to hear my brother mention my niece and the bitchy texts that are being sent among her single sex school - she only moved up to 'big school' in Sept..

The opposite sex are far less of a mystery in mixed. If I had a child, (speaking as a teacher), I would send them to co-ed, boy or girl.

Advertisement