Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alcohol to US

Options
  • 31-08-2015 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭

Bit of a story here.

Visiting a customer in the US. The client has asked for me to bring 3 bottles of Whiskey. They are a special Whiskey which I cant get in the Airport (have inquired). So picking them up in the Celtic Whiskey Store on Dawson Street.

I will leave Dublin to Newark, then Houston, then El Paso and will pick up my bags in El Paso. Where do I declare the Whiskey? I wont have in available to hand in Newark or Houston. Can I declare it in El Paso or has it traveled too far?

El Paso is a regional Airport and I'm not so sure there are International flights. Never saw anywhere to declare anything there.

Really just want to make sure it arrives with me.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

you declare it wherever you do customs and immigration. If you're doing it in Dublin..then in Dublin. If you are doing it in Newark, then newark. After you switch flights in Newark (or technically Dublin if you do pre-clearance), you will be considered a domestic passenger. You'll pay duty on anything over 1L

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭LeBash

But if it is checked in the bag it's still ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

LeBash wrote: »
    But if it is checked in the bag it's still ok?

Yep, there's no limit to what you can import. The question is whether or not it'll be there...tsa have a reputation for having sticky fingers

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

Bag wrap plus a bright color cable tie (such as red or lime green) are your friends as it will be obvious if someone got into your bag as it is hard to change those color cable ties in a flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭LeBash

Thanks for the replies, very much appreciated.

Regards,

Keith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Bag wrap plus a bright color cable tie (such as red or lime green) are your friends as it will be obvious if someone got into your bag as it is hard to change those color cable ties in a flash.

That won't help TSA will open your bag if they want to and what's more they will leave a note to tell you they did it. Might deter baggage handlers alright though.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

spideog7 wrote: »
    Might deter baggage handlers alright though.

Might also attract them - why do a bag wrap unless there's goodies inside? A pocket Stanley knife will zip through that plastic in double-quick time. Make your bag as ordinary as possible so it doesn't attract any attention, that's my policy.

Advertisement