Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reference Essential?

Options
  • 31-08-2015 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭

I am going to be looking to rent a place in the next few weeks/months I have been living in my own house paying a mortgage for the last 11 years. However i will be splitting up with my wife.

I am 40 years of age in secure employment. Every ad I see states this. I am wondering will I be considered or will I just have to wait till my luck comes in with a not so fussy landlord?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

You might be ok considering your age (unlikely to have parties etc.) and employment status. If you could get a letter from HR in work it saying you've been employed for x years it might be helpful. If its in Dublin have the deposit in your pocket and if you like the place just offer to take it on the spot. There are no second viewings in the market at the moment.

P.S Sorry to hear about the split.

sorry to hear about your situation :(

You will be OK with most landlords, they just want someone who isn't going to wreck the place, who can afford the rent, and who is reliable. A letter from your employer should be fine for most.

You may run into more difficulty with an agency, but cross that bridge when you come to it :)

Best of luck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 sobeitamen

Never been asked for a reference; I am over 70 and on Rent Allowance. Maybe little old ladies are seen differently! OP good luck indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Think of something to give them when they ask for a landlord reference. A letter from your solicitor confirming you had a mortgage and paid it for 11 years. It's just a matter of having some piece of paper or other when they ask especially if you are dealing with an agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Thanks had been thinking of the employer one alright. Also thanks for the moral support appreciate it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

I would get your credit rating from ICB. It costs €6 to get it done. I would bring that to viewing and say "I have paid my mortgage/credit card without a single issue for 2 years. Here is the statement to prove it". Just block out your loan amounts etc

Advertisement