Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wanker watch: Warning signs that someone is a tosser

• 31-08-2015 5:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Boring username

What sets your alarm bells ringing that someone is a bit of an arsehole? For me, there are a handful of things that almost always ring true (although there have been very, very rare exceptions in general.)

1. Wearing a trendy Palestinian type scarf. Always a major indicator that a know it all, insufferable bore is about to lecture you with their 'right on' views of the world. Sometimes accompanied by a neckbeard and general scruffiness.

2. A cokehead. I don't think I ever met a cokehead who wasn't a prick. It really is a great way of identifying a jumped up big time wannabe. Avoid.

3. Any of that corporate speak i.e. "going forward, we'll touch base, from the get-go, out of the ballpark etc".

You are cordially invited to vent you rage and misgivings in your own words.
    Post edited by JupiterKid on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

3. Any of that corporate speak i.e. "going forward, we'll touch base, from the get-go, out of the ballpark etc".

Revert back to you

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Whiteboys with dreadlocks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Someone who walks through a door and doesn't check if there's someone behind them, or doesn't make sure the door is shut after them

People who treat waitstaff and customer service people badly. Or doesn't even say thank you.

These are simple things, but they stand out to me about a person

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭OneOfThem

They use the word 'tosser'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Boring username

sabat wrote: »
    Whiteboys with dreadlocks

Often accompanied by #1 and a faint whiff of stale urine, similar to that of a gone off bag of wheelies crisps in a way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

People who use the word 'entitled' a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Skinny jeans, Basically anyone who is a hipster.

Anyone who has moved from an urban area to a one off in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

Use of the words/phrases:

"proselytising"
    "simples"
    "rant over"
    "back in my day"
    "feminazi"
    "I'm Ryan Tubridy"

Or any and all Simpsons quotes in any context.

dudara wrote: »
    Someone who walks through a door and doesn't check if there's someone behind them, or doesn't make sure the door is shut after them

People who treat waitstaff and customer service people badly. Or doesn't even say thank you.

These are simple things, but they stand out to me about a person

Oh damn that's a great one, I should have added that in the OP. Probably THE biggest reveal of a persons character ever, along with how they treat animals. I should take them to this restaurant:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Low cut v necks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

There were a few young fellas standing on the footpath and wouldn't move to let an old woman through, she had to walk on to the road.

If they weren't **** and tossers I don't know who is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Revert back to you

The next semiliterate windbag to revert back to me will get stabbed in the throat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

The lanyard brigade.. Ye know who ye are..
    Usually accompanied by 'borrowed my father's suit till i can afford my own' man..

These tossers, who themselves work for minimum wage, will look down on anyone who's parents earn less than 100k pa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Kev W wrote: »
    Use of the words/phrases:

Or any and all Simpsons quotes in any context.

Books are useless! I only ever read one book, “To Kill a Mockingbird,” and it gave me absolutely no insight on how to kill mockingbirds! Sure it taught me not to judge a man by the color of his skin… but what good does that do me?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

The use of the term SJW in a negative sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

People who talk about their 'gains' in the gym :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

In terms of a quality thread, I'm going to follow this one going forward.

There were a few young fellas standing on the footpath and wouldn't move to let an old woman through, she had to walk on to the road.

If they weren't **** and tossers I don't know who is.

Yeah some people let us down during the Queen's visit, that's for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Wearing hats..... All the time, indoor & out...

In addition, anyone wearing a trilby or a fedora, with casual attire is a grade-A wanker.

(Probably why we see it so much in wankery ads aching to appeal to milenials)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭NotCominBack

Patww79 wrote: »
    #3 for sure. I'm so glad I'll never set foot inside an American multinational again.

Awesome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

The use of the term SJW in a negative sense.

When was the Term ever a positive one ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

People who use 'liberal' as an insult, they also usually whinge about SJWs and 'PC brigades'. ****in' tards.

People who slavishly follow some ideology/group unquestioningly and don't admit that life is not black and white but shades of grey and think anyone who doesn't agree 100% with their guru of choice is somehow inferior / mass murderer / an idiot.

Examples : feminism, pro life movement, pro choice movement, gay pride (how is it tasteful to parade around a city centre in nothing but a thong), water charge protesters, fad diet followers, alternative cancer treatments, and so on and so forth.

That's my insulting of 95% of boardsies done for another year :D

People who use 'liberal' as an insult, they also usually whinge about SJWs and 'PC brigades'. ****in' tards.

I would draw your attention to this thread Sir:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057485675

Had to lookup what 'SJW' was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

You don't really have to try too hard to spot a wanker, they usually reveal themselves in a fairly short space of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Anyone with a functioning hand that can reach their groin area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

When they call you "mate".

SJW is actually an anagram of ****

Had to look up SJW but yeah in Ireland with it's extremely generous welfare system to the point of disincentivising work there's really no excuse for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

What is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

SJW is actually an anagram of ****

Also the word gullible does not appear in any dictionary of repute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

The ones who drive with the headlights on full strength switched on when they put on the car headlights.

• Advertisement

syklops wrote: »
    What is it?

Social Justice Warrior

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

This whole thread is making my skin shrink into little goosey follicles. Ugh, are there that many **** in the world?

Clichés, kill them all. People who solemnly use clichés as if they were real-meaning words. Oh, and who don't spot the moment when a too-fashionable word becomes a cliché: (anyone for a "flute" of Chardonnay?)

and I'm, like, YAY!!!

When you let someone out in front of you from a side road and they ignore you completely - no wave of thanks or anything. This seems to be something women do far more than men for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭toptom

When you hear american rap music been blared out of a car, You know the lads inside are **** or up to no good.
    Lads that use drugs total ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Anyone who doesn't use please and thank you. If you are served in a shop/restaurant or whatever and you give a grunt or say nothing when you are given your produce then you are a grade A category 1 cnut.

• Advertisement

OAPs who have the whole week stretching endlessly ahead of them but still insist on going shopping at 11 am on Saturday when the supermarkets are packed with working stiffs like myself.

People who say Katie Hopkins is an evil bitch ... I think she's great and just states the truth most of the time. She actually said the one above.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

when they don't look at you when you're talking to them

*btw - can you call a woman a wanker or is it just a male term??

toptom wrote: »
    When you hear american rap music been blared out of a car, You know the lads inside are **** or up to no good.

Indeed .

But if you blare out French rap music you are cool as balls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Beats headphones and Crocs

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Eramen

People who are into American/online social justice movements but never actually do anything for their own community in any way, shape or form.

And long V necks on men..

People who go on about what a great school they went to to mix with the "right people" or generally go on about how they move in the "right circles".

People who boast how they're not racist and all for equality but are first to put down Travellers / Gay Marriage / Eastern Europeans / Nigerian taxi drivers.

philstar wrote: »
    can you call a woman a wanker or is it just a male term??

The pejorative is bean flicker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Beanie cap in hot weather. Instant tool detector.

professore wrote: »
    OAPs who have the whole week stretching endlessly ahead of them but still insist on going shopping at 11 am on Saturday when the supermarkets are packed with working stiffs like myself.

People who say Katie Hopkins is an evil bitch ... I think she's great and just states the truth most of the time. She actually said the one above.
    The old folk probably just want the stimulation of the hustle and bustle of a busy town and some human interaction.

philstar wrote: »
    when they don't look at you when you're talking to them

*btw - can you call a woman a wanker or is it just a male term??

I think you'll find that's just Aspergers Syndrome or Autism Spectrum Disorder. Generally these people are very honest !

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement