Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wanker watch: Warning signs that someone is a tosser

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,631 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

This is exactly the reason why "Racism" has lost all meaning.
    It has a slippery meaning, because it originates from an incorrect belief that there were distinct human races, but like all words, we need to seperate the origin of the word, it's etymology with the currently accepted usage of the word

Racism now means to hold prejudice against one or more ethnic groups of people on the basis of their ethnic status. Racists judge people entirely by their ethnic background and not on their individual merits.

"I hate ignorant people" is not racist
    "I hate [insert group here] people because they're all ignorant" is racist.

People who hold these prejudices but don't want to be labeld as racists, will often seek different words to avoid the label, but at the end of the day, it's the prejudiced attitudes that are no longer acceptable, no matter what you call it.

The one distinction that needs to be made, is that people usually can not change their ethnicity. it's something they are generally born into and have for life. So it is totally unfair to judge them on something beyond their control. On the other hand, it is different when people start choosing their own identifiers.

If someone is a member of the KKK, It's ok for me to view them as someone of dubious character. Their choice to be a member of this organisation allows me to make an informed judgement of what their values are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

Sunday Cyclists,
    Gaelgeors,
    Lifelong Dole scroungers,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭res ipsa

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    Someone who has appointed themselves as Political Correctness Police, online and in everyday living.

Yes the PCP.
    And everyone who hates a triad acrynom also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,290 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

People who wear sunglasses indoors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

jca wrote: »
    What are you talking about?

not the quickest are you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

People who cycle on footpaths, and look at you as if you should move.

People who purposely jump/walk in the way of cyclists cycling who are cycling in a safe manner on a footpath, who often end up needlessly putting a third party at risk.

Double points if that hypocritical wanker themselves jaywalks -so double points to pretty much all of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,370 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

valoren wrote: »
    I'm guessing something like a Tag Heuer or a brand new Rolex. A flash harry type watch.

Nah, the second bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Hipsters, they're absolute ball bags!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Wanker watch: Warning signs that someone is a tosser -

Cyclists

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Akrasia wrote: »
    It has a slippery meaning, because it originates from an incorrect belief that there were distinct human races, but like all words, we need to seperate the origin of the word, it's etymology with the currently accepted usage of the word

Racism now means to hold prejudice against one or more ethnic groups of people on the basis of their ethnic status. Racists judge people entirely by their ethnic background and not on their individual merits.

"I hate ignorant people" is not racist
    "I hate [insert group here] people because they're all ignorant" is racist.

People who hold these prejudices but don't want to be labeld as racists, will often seek different words to avoid the label, but at the end of the day, it's the prejudiced attitudes that are no longer acceptable, no matter what you call it.

The one distinction that needs to be made, is that people usually can not change their ethnicity. it's something they are generally born into and have for life. So it is totally unfair to judge them on something beyond their control. On the other hand, it is different when people start choosing their own identifiers.

If someone is a member of the KKK, It's ok for me to view them as someone of dubious character. Their choice to be a member of this organisation allows me to make an informed judgement of what their values are.

Nope I would just be happy people use the correct word for something, And not Racist for Everything. That's why we have words like Bigot or xenophobia. It's fairly basic stuff really. English is a very diverse language has lots for words in it. This reminds me of the college thread...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

rubadub wrote: »
    People who purposely jump/walk in the way of cyclists cycling who are cycling in a safe manner on a footpath, who often end up needlessly putting a third party at risk.

Double points if that hypocritical wanker themselves jaywalks -so double points to pretty much all of them.

Cyclists who cycle on footpaths... lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Glasses on head, particularly sunglasses.

Wearing a scarf when it's not even that cold.

I purposely block cyclists on the footpath, there's a bleedin' epidemic of it in Phibsboro. If that makes me a wanker, so be it.

edit: didn't come across as I meant it to.

Birneybau wrote: »
    I purposely block cyclists on the footpath, there's a bleedin' epidemic of it in Phibsboro. If that makes me a wanker, so be it.

Then again, being a man, you are either a wanker or a liar anyway.

Jaysus. Who did he cheat on you with?

Saipanne wrote: »
    Jaysus. Who did he cheat on you with?

No, I'm a man. It's an old joke. You are either a wanker i.e. you masturbate, or are a liar i.e. you masturbate secretly.

Playboy wrote: »
    Cyclists who cycle on footpaths... lol
    I must have missed the joke? many people cycle on footpaths in a safe manner, just as many people walk on cycletracks in a safe manner, or illegally jaywalk in a safe manner.
    If you jump infront of little kids illegally cycling on the footpath you get triple points -as I am presuming you have jaywalked yourself at some stage.

Im not even a driver, but cyclists just come off as ****.

I must have missed the joke? many people cycle on footpaths in a safe manner, just as many people walk on cycletracks in a safe manner, or illegally jaywalk in a safe manner.

If you jump infront of little kids illegally cycling on the footpath you get triple points -as I am presuming you have jaywalked yourself at some stage.

I don't jump in front, I just refuse to get out of the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Anyone wearing a GAA jersey while abroad.

Saipanne wrote: »
    Wanker watch: Warning signs that someone is a tosser -

Cyclists
    so you consider the vast majority of your friends & family to be **** at some stage, and probably yourself. Fair enough... :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Senior management who don't respond to a simple "Hello" as you pass them in the office. A simple acknowledgement, even non-verbal, is better than just ignoring me as if I'm unworthy of your presence. Can't stand it. Most senior management are OK, but there's always one or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Anyone wearing a GAA jersey while abroad.

or at a music festival

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

People who wear Guy Fawkes masks at government protests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

http://irishcycle.com/2015/01/21/no-exemption-for-children-cycling-on-footpaths-says-minister-ahead-of-new-fines/

I don't jump in front, I just refuse to get out of the way.
    well that is perfectly fine, only a right prick would expect you to step aside. you had said
    I purposely block cyclists on the footpath

Which I took to mean sidestepping at the last minute, or continually going out of your way to sidestep causing them to possibly swerve onto the road or into other pedestrians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

you are a man who pretends to be a woman making terrible jokes on the bbc and rte

so you consider the vast majority of your friends & family to be **** at some stage, and probably yourself. Fair enough... :confused:

I would never ride a bike. I'd be afraid I'd become one of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

professore wrote: »
    When you let someone out in front of you from a side road and they ignore you completely - no wave of thanks or anything. This seems to be something women do far more than men for some reason.

I was under the impression that you'd fail your driving test if you did something like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭superfurry1

People who throw or place cash on the counter and then stick out their hand for the change to be returned. You hand it to me i hand it back, love to throw if you throw but have to place it on the counter :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Indeed. They're usually your security swipe into the building you work/your work car park, in many companies, and secondary schools have them too now.

Schoolkids have to wear these now ?
    :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Skinny jeans, Basically anyone who is a hipster.

Anyone who has moved from an urban area to a one off in the country.
    ha stuart lee has a great routine on that!! How basically they keep telling you how great it is and all the things the have and there's a horse in the field behind them at the same time absolutely BEGGING you to call out to them as they're bored .....and BRING COKE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,290 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

at a glance, you can tell if someone is a tosser if they f**k their rubbish on to the ground. Haven't met anyone yet who wasn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

People who use overly politically correct terms.

Someone called me a cis female the other day, utterly pointless phrase.
    It gets my goat.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

Guys wearing loafers without socks and chinos turned up at the ankles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

A woman who has 'full time Mammy' as her occupation on Facebook. Full time parent or stay at home parent wouldn't bother but full time mammy really p***es me off.

Lux23 wrote: »
    A woman who has 'full time Mammy' as her occupation on Facebook. Full time parent or stay at home parent wouldn't bother but full time mammy really p***es me off.
    And a degree from the School of Hard Knocks?

How about the lads who are Full-time Mad Bastards? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

BBQ's in housing estates. Noboby wants to smell your Granby Burgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭O'Neill

People who spit towards you when you walk past them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭FelineOverLord

People who put really noisy exhausts on their cars. They are definitely **** and probably have tiny penises.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Lemsiper wrote: »
    Guys wearing loafers without socks and chinos turned up at the ankles.
    & a pink jumper draped over there shoulders.

https://liketotally80s.wikispaces.com/file/view/preppy.jpg/191996026/preppy.jpg

Women (or men, usually women) who expect everyone to just jump out of the way as they push a buggy the size of a small car down a crowded street, and give you a stink eye if you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Alt J

People who are rude to waitstaff.
    People who work in retail that are talking too their friend while they hand you your change.
    People who turn into gob****es when they are drunk.
    The I'm a hard man push off you in a club with the immediate stare down like it was your fault.
    Sorry ,ladies who push in at the bar with ten of their friends with no regard you were there for ten minutes.
    The whole 'jaysus im from Dublin brigade, ye culchies don't have running water outside dublin', yes because Dublin is a fine example of Irish civilization :)
    Knackers, we all hate them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 ididthemathtom

Why do people in housing estates not get to have a barbecue?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

People who think calling their 6.99 bottle of wine from Spar "vino" makes it more classy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Originally Posted by dhaughton99 View Post

Because at the moment, next door has a BBQ going and the fecking smoke and smell is getting all over my washing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Senior management who don't respond to a simple "Hello" as you pass them in the office. A simple acknowledgement, even non-verbal, is better than just ignoring me as if I'm unworthy of your presence. Can't stand it. Most senior management are OK, but there's always one or two.

God yeah. Remember in an old job of mine they got in this Welsh guy to run the place. He was all happy clappy when giving talks or making announcements but meet him in a corridor and he would make a bad attempt at trying to pretend you werent there. I used to get a kick out of shouting "Howerya Nigel!!"(or whatever he was called) He'd give ya this look like "Who is this insolent wretch speaking to me, MEEEEEEEEEE?????"
    :D

Because at the moment, next door has a BBQ going and the fecking smoke and smell is getting all over my washing.
    Dry them inside?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 ididthemathtom

So rather than moving your washing inside, or suggesting that perhaps people giving barbecues might like to give a heads up to their neighbours, you instead suggest anyone having a barbecue on a housing estate is likely to be a wanker... Seems reasonable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I can't stand the type of guys who user words like banter and lads

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement