Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this everything I need to homebrew?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I'd get some yeast, the yeast with kits is often poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I'm brewing a few months, and a buddy is starting soon. This is what I advised him:

2 x 33L fermenters, both with tap and airlock.
    Bottle filling stick.
    PVC tubing (3/4” I think).
    Counter top capper.
    Hydrometer.
    Thermometer.
    Stirring paddle.
    Starsan (sanitiser).
    Crown caps 26mm.
    Bottle tree.
    Bottle rinser (fits on bottle tree).

I use the hydrometer in the tube it came packed in; if yours doesn't have a tube you'll also need a trial jar (cheap). You'll also be glad of a drill for stirring etc. Beware BTW - I got my starter FVs from the HBC and the scales on them were WAY out, which I didn't cop for four or five brews. Don't cheap out on a hand capper BTW - I did and regretted it very quickly; get the counter top!

I'd also add the following 'backup' gear:
    a general yeast, in case you need some to try to get a stuck fermentation going.
    Yeast nutrient.

Cleaning: Bruclean is great but expensive. I now use Lidl W5 Oxi - not as good, but a lot cheaper.

The best kits I've done so far have been the Craft Range Wheat, Young's American IPA and Muntons Gold Old English Bitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Help!!!! wrote: »

Thats excellent value!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭epicmoe

All I started with was one bucket, airlock, ingredients, bottles and capper. That was a long time a go, and now I have an attic full of gear for all grain and for kits. I would advise KISS. Keep It simple Stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I'd get some yeast, the yeast with kits is often poor.

This is a useful upgrade, harvesting yeast and reusing saves a lot of money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Barring botles to put it in, all the basic kit you need is there.

Personally I'd be getting one of these:
    https://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/beercider-kits-american-craft-beer-kits-c-1_243.html

They make great beer and they're well worth the extra cost. No problems with the yeast in the them either! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Would it be ok to brew in a garden shed? Does it need to be over a certain temperature?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

18C is ideal. I've managed to ferment things perfectly at 10C. Temperatures that are too high are much more of a problem than too low and it's the fluctuations that would bother me about fermenting in a shed. Your shed may vary, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Treadhead wrote: »
    Barring botles to put it in, all the basic kit you need is there.

Personally I'd be getting one of these:
    https://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/beercider-kits-american-craft-beer-kits-c-1_243.html

They make great beer and they're well worth the extra cost. No problems with the yeast in the them either! ;)

I've been pleased with the few brews I've made from this lot as well.
    https://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/beercider-kits-milestone-range-3kg-c-1_98.html

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

For your shed you probably have some serious temp variations going on. That's not good for your brews.

Here's a cheap fix.

• Advertisement
Advertisement