Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patrick Deering Fine Gael TD

• 31-08-2015 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

He has to be the most unfriendly TD ever. Never says hello avoids eye contact when i meet him walking on the footpath. My house is just down the road from his office see him regularly.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Moving to Carlow forum, you might get more responses there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

At least you confirmed he is still alive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭Bog Man 1

Unlike most people in the world we live in a democracy so do not vote for him next time . I always found Politicians approachable enough if I want to inform them of some issue they should be thinking about . I would never be rude or harrangue them even if I disagreed with them .
    Carlow has failed to elect a person of Vision or substantial intellect to the Dail and this is across all parties .
      Next time you see him ask why small Contractors have very little hope of winning contract tenders with Irish Water due to the way the Tenders are structured . These are contractors that have been winning tenders with the County and Urban Councils on and off for the last 20 years .

1. Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

He's the only politician I've talked to who acted like a real person, and I'm not a Fine Gael fan at all. Him and Mary Lou but that was after I compared her party to a small terrier chasing a car... (and not in a good way)

2. Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭oscillating wildely

[/LIST]Next time you see him ask why small Contractors have very little hope of winning contract tenders with Irish Water due to the way the Tenders are structured . These are contractors that have been winning tenders with the County and Urban Councils on and off for the last 20 years .[/QUOTE]

Simple answer to that might lie in who donates to FG as Catherine Murphy has been doing her best to highlight. A firm that was insolvent when the tenders were being issued ended up winning a portion of them: Siteserv.

3. Advertisement
    4. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I was talking to him at Tullow Show and found him ok. His answers were a bit glib, but you'd expect that from a politician.

5. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

He annoys the hell outta me. Mainly because. I saw him arrive to the Patricks Day parade in Ballon 2 yrs ago, climb up on the trailer with all the local hardworking community champions , get the picture taken and be gone again within 15mins. I overheard him telling one of the 2 people he spoke to , that he could not stay , he was busy driving around. Presumably to do the same thing everywhere.
      Politicians are only interested in being politicians, not representing the people that elected them.

6. Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭oscillating wildely

Must be an election coming up very soon as he appeared on my doorstep last Saturday.

I have to say he was very unsure about national issues and also unprofessional in the sense that I was referring to somebody in the abstract but he named him. I challenged him on a number of national issues and he either didn't seem to know anything about them, he only seemed to be able to engage on local issues.

Probably a good local representative but definitely not up to scratch for national issues and wouldn't inspire me to vote FG. He also got very short with me in the end which I found to be quite childish.

BTW I voted FG last time and I feel I have the right to challenge him as they didn't deliver on certain elections promises.

7. Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Am waiting in the long grass here for him. V. childish response to an email from him too.

8. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭mulbot

He got me a passport a few years ago when the strike thing was on,took only 3 days!!-he even had a guy print it out at 7pm and couriered down to my house the next day- got to love the corruptness

9. Advertisement
    10. Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

mulbot wrote: »
      He got me a passport a few years ago when the strike thing was on,took only 3 days!!-he even had a guy print it out at 7pm and couriered down to my house the next day- got to love the corruptness

Does you a favour... call him out for corruption online! He won't do that again!

11. Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭oscillating wildely

It is corruption though and perfectly illustrates the localisation I was talking about.

12. Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

How is him getting someone a passport corruption? (I'm not a FG supporter BTW)

13. Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭oscillating wildely

"Corruption is understood as everything from the paying of bribes to civil servants in return for some favour and the theft of public purses, to a wide range of dubious economic and political practices in which politicians and bureaucrats enrich themselves and any abusive use of public power to a personal end."

Amundsen, I. (1999): “Political corruption: An introduction to the issues”, Working Paper 99:7, Bergen: Chr. Michelsen Institute

In this instance the rules for the poster were ignored in order to expedite their passport application and in turn for said TD to curry favour with this voter.

In Ireland we don't seem to view "having a word" with a TD as corruption but it is a form of political corruption hence the new legislation on lobbying which is now in effect.

14. Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

"Corruption is understood as everything from the paying of bribes to civil servants in return for some favour and the theft of public purses, to a wide range of dubious economic and political practices in which politicians and bureaucrats enrich themselves and any abusive use of public power to a personal end."

Amundsen, I. (1999): “Political corruption: An introduction to the issues”, Working Paper 99:7, Bergen: Chr. Michelsen Institute

Jayus here I was thinking we were on boards not the small claims court!

I was merely pointing out that the chap had someone do them a favour and they're on here then giving out about it.... I wasn't redefining the dictionary

15. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭mulbot

i was being sarcastic, should have phrased it differently,i meant it in a way that politicians usually do favours for their own benefit,for people with huge money etc-I got caught short for a passport,needed it urgently and he did his best to help me out,that's what they should do,help the community if they need it-

By the way,i never voted for him,in any election,

16. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭Bog Man 1

mulbot wrote: »
      i was being sarcastic, should have phrased it differently,i meant it in a way that politicians usually do favours for their own benefit,for people with huge money etc-I got caught short for a passport,needed it urgently and he did his best to help me out,that's what they should do,help the community if they need it-

By the way,i never voted for him,in any election,

Politicians can get you something you are entitled to ,or they can get you something you are not entitled to .

Advertisement