Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What changes are needed to help clean up Football?

• 31-08-2015 6:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭

I don't want this thread to descend into another he said/she said circle jerk about the Dubs/Mayo match. There's enough discussion going on in other threads about that.

What changes need to be made to the roles of the officials and/or rules in order to try and cut out the crap that we are consistantly seeing in matches.......and I'm not talking about tough, physical play were players compete honestly for the ball.

The black card is not enough of a deterent any more and the referee has an impossible job trying to watch everything going on off the ball. Some simple changes to me would include

1..........Either giving the other officials a more proactive role or having another ref in the stand with an overview of the game and radio contact with the ref.

2..........A sin bin for a yellow. I guarantee you players would soon cop on when they play their first match with only 10 players on the pitch for a period of time. There is a genuine punishment with a sin bin.

I know this stuff has been mentioned before but i'd be interested to hear what people come up with in light of recent issues.

Please keep the Dub/Mayo crap out unless an offence is being used an example

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Agreed. This is were the officials come into play. If a defender puts an attacker into a headlock off the ball and when the ref turns around he sees 2 bodies wrestling on the ground it's pointless sending both to the sin bin. This is where the the linesmen and umpires need to take their heads out of there asses and tell the ref whats happening. Send the defender to the sin bin. It will soon cut the off the ball **** out when there are proper consequences for both the player and the team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Feigning injury that causes a free kick = 1match ban.

Feigning injury that causes an opponent to get a yellow or black card = 3 match ban.

If they get red it's a 5 match ban.

All to be decided by a panel after the match.

It's getting chronic by now, sad to see kids in National School at it. Nip it in the bud now before it goes like Soccer.

All SHC matches are televised so its an even playing field in that respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,619 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

A fourth official type of thing where a video is watched after an incident and the referee is told what happened.
    It takes the onus off the referee when something dirty, unseen happens or if a ball has crossed the line.
    Proper training for referees and refresher courses. No two of them referee the same way.
    Also an independent time-keeper like the ladies have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,850 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

I think that all officials should have the same responsibility - i.e. umpires/linesman can give frees and get involved. I also think a TMO reviewing the game live should be used, and if he sees any off the ball activity that he can call the ref's attention and give out the correct punishment.

However there are problems with this - for example it only came out today that the headbutt wasn't a headbutt, but from all angles we saw yesterday - a TMO would probably have him off the pitch. So it's hard to know how that can actually work. Also TMO may not have the same access to camera angles in Clones as he would in Croke Park so again issues there.

But the way to clean the game up - lies with the management and players themselves. Defenders are obv being trained somewhere along the way that your man doesn't get past you at any cost. Their are incidents in every game where by a long ball is coming in and the defender has no idea where the ball is as he's holding/looking at his man. Now again if officials are watching correctly they will call this up.

But if you had a strong ref with whom all the players respected and who took no BS from anyone, then some games say like yesterday may have turned out different.

The rules are way too subjective in relation to the black card. The yellow card doesn't really mean anything these days. The Sin Bin could work, but then knowing the GAA, the clock would never stop for any injuries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Ace2007 wrote: »

However there are problems with this - for example it only came out today that the headbutt wasn't a headbutt, but from all angles we saw yesterday - a TMO would probably have him off the pitch. So it's hard to know how that can actually work. Also TMO may not have the same access to camera angles in Clones as he would in Croke Park so again issues there.

I think the mere fact of having more oversight or eyes watching would have the effect of forcing the players to modify their behaviour. The chances of getting caught at the moment especially off the ball are so slim that they have nothing to worry about.

Pointing out foul play on the Sunday Game is not worth a **** to a team who has lost a match because of it. This stuff needs to be dealt with during the game

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭tmq

First step more refs on the pitch... it has been proven to work in other sports, including Aussie rules. (and before people say there a load of umpires/linesman already - they are not involved in the same way, and don't have the same authority.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Let the linesmen become assistant refs, free to come in a have a closer look at the action from time to time if needed.
    Rather than having a line, they have a half to police.
    That would solve an awful lot of the messing and more importantly it's something that can be brought in throughout the game... i.e A TMO can't be used in over 99% of matches, I'm not sure sin bins could be correctly monitored at club level if you have a few in it... it would probably require an extra official which just isn't very practical.

I liked the concept of the black card at the start but it's has just overcomplicated an already complicated process.
    A GAA match is one of the hardest sports to ref in my view, there is no comparison to rugby despite the fact that at times the modern game can look like 15 men lining up across from 15 others. It's a faster game with action all over the field at any one time, it's time to take the responsibility off the one man in the middle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

2 refs and give more power to the umpires. Lets be honest, they see everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

For inter county level:
    TMO
    TMO
    TMO

two refs maybe as well, I think it'll take the pressure of the man in the middle.

At least then there's always the possibility that only one of them will ride ya for the whole game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭SSLguru

Drug testing , have the players are on test / dbol etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,451 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

A few years ago during the compromise rules, the Aussies decided they would do as they like cos there would be no disciplinary consequences.

The farce that is the GAA disciplinary process has led to fellas doing what they want on the pitch as they know their county board will get them off.

The chickens are coming home to roost. Frank Murphy started it. Dublin (Connolly 2011 semi final), Tyrone (numerous times) and Mayo (last year and this year) followed suit. And yesterday actions on the pitch are a consequence of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Punish the players when they break the rules.You do that and the players will learn very quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Just thinking, a bit of cynicism can win you games. Some teams are blatant about it and its there for all to see. Other teams are more subtle - ie sledging, pulling and dragging when the ball is at the other end of the field, taking a man out after he released the ball.

It's impossible for a referee to catch every incident. And if you bring cameras into it, you'd have to ban 30 players in some games. And what about the sledging? Mic up players? Where does it stop?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Stop undermining the referees by overturning correct decisions, that would be a start.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Second ref and a cricket type review system where a manager is allow query a ref's decision once per half if there's a TMO in place.

Advertisement