Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1.9 Diesel Vectra not starting

• 31-08-2015 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

My Opel Vectra 1.9 Diesel wont start lately. The engine is turning over but it just wont start at times. I brought it to a garage today and they found no errors on the computer but told me it was the immobiliser and will cost €300 fix.

Just wondering if anyone here has any info on this problem and what could be causing it. (I know thats a pretty broad request but I kinda feel like they were taking advantage of my total lack of knowledge about cars and).

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Superwofy

veghead wrote: »
    My Opel Vectra 1.9 Diesel wont start lately. The engine is turning over but it just wont start at times. I brought it to a garage today and they found no errors on the computer but told me it was the immobiliser and will cost €300 fix.

Just wondering if anyone here has any info on this problem and what could be causing it. (I know thats a pretty broad request but I kinda feel like they were taking advantage of my total lack of knowledge about cars and).

Thanks for any help

Unfortunately it really is too broad a question. It really could be an immobiliser issue. If you try to start most cars without the immobiliser chip, it will crank but not start. 300 sounds a bit steep.

Since you lack the required knowledge you wouldn't be able to give us more details. I suppose the best advice would be to check with another garage without telling them what garage no. 1 said.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 veghead

Superwofy - Thanks for the reply. Yes, I know I couldn't have been more vague if I tried! I left it in the garage earlier cause I felt so out of my dept but will call them tomorrow and if they havent fixed it then I'll take it elsewhere. What would be a reasonable figure for fixing an immobiliser...I know I'm the Master of vague broad questions!!!!

Superwofy - Thanks for the reply. Yes, I know I couldn't have been more vague if I tried! I left it in the garage earlier cause I felt so out of my dept but will call them tomorrow and if they havent fixed it then I'll take it elsewhere. What would be a reasonable figure for fixing an immobiliser...I know I'm the Master of vague broad questions!!!!

Unfortunately, this varies too. Truly depends on what they will actually do the the immobiliser system. Are they replacing a module? Are they simply re-programming a key? Fixing a loose connection?

Unless you can find out what they're doing, it's difficult to come up with a ballpark figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 veghead

So it turns out its not the immobiliser as they replaced that but the car is still acting up so they are still trying to figure that out. Needless to say, I'm dreading the final bill!

Thanks all for the help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Take it to another garage

• Advertisement

So it turns out its not the immobiliser as they replaced that but the car is still acting up so they are still trying to figure that out. Needless to say, I'm dreading the final bill!

Thanks all for the help!

I take it you still have to pay for the immobiliser repair, right?

Advertisement