Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Tips

• 31-08-2015 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

This Title is pretty explanatory, basically I'm looking for tips for the LC and how to deal with it.

My story: I just started 6th year (today in fact) and our teachers are trying to use some scare tactics and giving us loads of work to do. I began to wonder if there were thing's I could do to give me the best chance at the leaving Cert.
    I'm a B to A grade student...well honestly C to B grade student and I would like to know or more ask if there are any tips or tools that people found useful during their LC that they would like to share!

I'm well aware that I need to study and work hard! Trust me I do, but I would like to know different way's of doing it. For example I study Applied Math's and what I do is I try a past exam paper, see how much I can do without looking at notes for hints then I ask any questions to my teacher if I get really stuck.

If anyone has tips as to : Study timetables, stress management, diet and even balancing this with time to relax (How the heck does one relax when all you can think about is "I should be studying" ;_; )

Also thank you in advance for any tips and help given, I really do appreciate it, and my future self opening the letter with my grades does to!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TheBiz

Can't answer much about what helped as I'm just starting leaving cert myself!

I can answer about the relaxing part.
    Best way to work (in my experience) is work in short bursts and breaks. Try 30 mins study, 10 min break and repeat.
    That 30 minutes must be 30 minutes of hard study, no cups of tea in between!

The break then feels well deserved, and think of it this way, if I study in stints I actually retain more information then if I were to look at a book for 2 hours straight.

Also look up different methods of studying, see what works for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭EoinAFC

Best tip is to make it manageable yet effective pre mocks, try not to stress out and just give yourself enough time to relax. Stress will only make things tougher. Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭chatterboxxx95

Get in a routine, for me it was homework and 1/2 subjects a night study wise.

Make lists of what you want to cover in each subject. Check in with the lists regularly, each teacher works differently and while some may assign homework /tests to aid revising, others will leave it up to you
    you

Set Weekly/monthly goals and check in on them. Sometimes study doesn't feel like study. Eg with languages if you do tapes in class if you have access to the CD listening to it again in your own time while reading the text or knowing answers to questions can be benificial, while some people wouldn't regard that as study.

Don't compare yourself to friends. Obviously if your friend is working and your doing nothing yeah, you might need to take the finger out but in general, people learn in different ways at different paces, so don't be comparing hours of study or flashcard making skills with a friend.

Work out how you learn best (visual, oral/aural, doing) and use it to your advantage. Learn to make decent notes

Last but not least good luck op

Advertisement