Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much notice to give?

Options
  • 31-08-2015 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hey there, I'm in the process of leaving my part-time job and have no idea how much notice to give, I have been working in the retail position for nearly 4.5 years at the moment. What would a reasonable amount of notice to give?

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,741 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Somewhere between 2 weeks and a month, is there a time mentioned in your contract? Being part time I would be inclined to say about 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Have a chat with you manager and see what they say, 2 weeks seems fair to me but if you're there that long you might need them for a reference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

If you have no contract or your contract doesn't specify a notice period, then 1 week is the legal position

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Statutory minimum is one week. "Reasonable" - i.e. not wanting to leave them in the lurch - depends on your own needs and the needs of the company. If you do a job that's already being done by other people too (such as a shop assistant), then no need for more than a week.

If you do something very specific that you would need to train someone else to do, then two weeks might be more reasonable. If they *have* to hire someone in to replace you (i.e. nobody else can do your type of job), then a month.

But if your contract has nothing, then you're not required to give more than a week.

Advertisement