Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A new Secondary School

Options
  • 31-08-2015 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all, looking for advice on choosing secondary schools to enroll my daughter(2) and son(1) in. I went to boarding school, but want a day school for my children. This being south Dublin, a majority of the schools here are fee paying, and friends of mine have recommended several of them.
    At the moment, I'm looking at nearby schools like Terenure, Wesley and the High school, though my partner works in the dun laoghaire area, so thats also a consideration for drop offs, etc. We've both lived in roughly the same area our whole lives, but we dont know much about the local schools.

What I want for my kids is a school with a lot of extra curricular activities available, like sports and other clubs, and that gets involved in or organises a diverse range of activities, as well as having a good academic record.

A big worry I have is the whole mixed or single sex school issue. I have a friend who sent his boys to a mixed school and his daughter to a single sex school, and he thought that was ideal. Not sure I'd like that as opposed to all going to the same school. Any opinions are obviously welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

There's a big stretch between Terenure, Rathgar and Dundrum so you're definitely stretching the definition of "nearby". Why not state where you live and if you're planning on staying there for the next 10 years?

Do you want to pay fees, can you afford to pay fees? Is the religious ethos important to you (it would seem not seeing as you're looking at both Terenure and Wesley).

Have you put their names down for primary school first? That could be trickier.

I went to St Marys National School in Rathfarnham and then Colaiste Eanna Ballyroan for secondary, both grand schools for what it's worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I would agree with the poster above. Often a primary school will be a gateway to a particular secondary school. I would concentrate on this first. Make enquiries as to where most kids go to after a particular primary school and that will give you an idea.

A lot of secondary schools will not take names until 4th or 5th class anyway. A lot of things may have changed both for you personally and in the education/enrollment arenas in the next 10 years so I would pick the primary school on that basis.

For what its worth I would send your kids to the primary school where all the other local kids are going. It makes life much easier socially as they get older. You don't want to be spending time travelling for play dates while the local kids play on the green!!

Advertisement