Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reeling in the years

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

c_man wrote: »
    It's pretty good but let's just forget about the 2000s Reeling... Pure guff. They knew it was big then and let it slide. Not to mention attempting to position RTE presenters as having known the crash was coming all along and we the general eejits were just too stupid to listen to our betters.

That decade of ROTY isn't as good but that's because it was made too soon. I think it was made in 2010. Not enough time to figure out what would be the events and the stories that would be remembered in years to come. Also many of the clips shown in the 60s/70s/80s episodes show people taking part in demonstrations, rallies, reporting etc, who ended up becoming prominent Irish figures in public life, it was only because the program was made 20-30 years after these events that we were able to see their contribution, or rather where they started out.

E.g. I think one of the late 70s/early 80s episodes shows U2s first performance on the Late Late. It certainly wouldn't have been significant at the time, just another new Irish band, but seeing as ROTY wasn't made until 1999, 20 years had passed and by then they were one of the biggest bands in the world, so it made sense to show a clip of their first appearance. Think they are in the 84/85 episodes as well.

I'm pretty sure some of the late 60s/ early 70s episodes shows Mary Robinson making speeches as a student. Gives a bit of context to where she started out before she became president.

I reckon any researcher making the episode for 2009 in 2010 would have had their work cut out to pick out any new Irish act that played a song on the LLS that year that they reckon will be around in 20 years from now. Sometimes with history you just have to give it a bit of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Boring username

mzungu wrote: »
    Reeling in the Years and Scannal are two of the best shows RTE have ever done. Worth the license fee alone.

Don't forget Hands, the documentary series where old world skills like shoemaking and curragh building are explored. Feckin' magic, except RTE never show the repeats any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Tho it was only a one off Documentary, "A Million Dubliners" was a very moving and powerful piece of television! If you've not seen it, it's worth a watch if you can find it online or on The Player!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

deadybai wrote: »
    Cant wait for 2011:

Arab Spring begins
    Japan Tsunami
    Royal Wedding
    Bin Laden killed
    Norway Terrosist Attacks
    Amy Winehouse & Steve Jobs
    Gaddafi killed
    The occupy movement
    US Troops are finshed in Iraq
    Kim Jong Il
    Brain Cowen Resigns
    Fine Gael are in Government
    Cork Airport Crash
    Dali Lama and Obama visit Ireland and The Queen
    The Cloyne Report
    Kilkenny and Dublin win the All Ireland
    Ireland Qualify for Euro 2012
    Leinster win Heineken Cup
    Rugby World Cup
    The presidential election

Going to be some episode lads!

going to try and guess the soundtrack for that year

Arab Spring begins (Dont Wanna Go Home- Jason Durulo)
    Japan Tsunami (Just A Dream- Nelly)
    Royal Wedding (Dynamite- Taio Cruz)
    Bin Laden killed (Coming Home- Diddy)
    Norway Terrosist Attacks (Back To December- Taylor Swift)
    Amy Winehouse & Steve Jobs (Someone Like You- Adele)
    Gaddafi killed (Someone Like You-Adele)
    The occupy movement (Party Rock Anthem- LMFAO)
    US Troops are finshed in Iraq (Coming Home- Diddy)
    Kim Jong Il (Firework- Katy Perry)
    Brain Cowen Resigns (Teenage Dream- Katy Perry)
    Fine Gael are in Government (Teenage Dream- Katy Perry)
    Cork Airport Crash (Someone Like You- Adele)
    Dali Lama and Obama visit Ireland and The Queen (For The First Time- The Script)
    The Cloyne Report (Price Tag- Jessie J)
    Kilkenny and Dublin win the All Ireland (The Edge Of Glory-Lady Gaga)
    Ireland Qualify for Euro 2012 (The Edge Of Glory- Lady Gaga)
    Leinster win Heineken Cup (Yeah 3x- Chris Brown)
    Rugby World Cup (Yeah 3x- Chris Brown)
    The presidential election (cheers drink to that- Rhianna)

let us know what ye think ??

thanks to deadybai for writing the events up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭Ya-Boy-Ya

I see Reeling in the Years is up to 2009.... so far... anyone know if they've done more ??? or doing ???

I can't see why they would until the decade is finished. To be honest I think they should leave it a lot longer. I think the earlier series benefited from perspective about what events were important but also had a long term impact. The 2000-2009 series were made in 2010/2011.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

So we have to wait till 2020 for 10-19?

poo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Anybody have any of the tv broadcasts in video file format they are willing to share please? Cant find the DVDs for sale anywhere online and even then those versions are missing alot apparently due to copyright issues. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Great show, ironically the best thing rte do is a patch up of news from other sources, spriked with quality music and not a RTE over indulged, over paid false presenter in sight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Watching Ireland in the 1980s make the place seem like a dreary basket case, yet I was an adult in the 1980s and never experienced it like that, some of the Ronald Reagan stuff is cringey and the NI and miners strike is sad.

not a RTE over indulged, over paid false presenter in sight.

Unfortunately Pat the plank just popped up there on this evenings episode. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

what the hell was that yoke with the cut nose and what looked like a flagon that appeared behind yer man giving out about the violence at Dylan in Slane the night before.

Sam Hain wrote: »
    what the hell was that yoke with the cut nose and what looked like a flagon that appeared behind yer man giving out about the violence at Dylan in Slane the night before.

Haha she prob started the whole thing, the face that launched a thousand ships.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

ardinn wrote: »
    So we have to wait till 2020 for 10-19?

poo

Tbf....it would be a bit illogical to have the 2019 episode anytime before 2020???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Best show on telly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

love it my favourite are the super old ones!
    also the one where they show the women going up north on the train to get the pill and coming back to protesters when all they really had were paracetamol lolz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Jesus H Christ. The romantic interlude with Johnny Macaroni. We were a terribly impoverished country trying to make our way. The pity of it all. Actually sad now for those who had to survive in such a bleak world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

The Break dancers in Limerick had me in stitches laughing.
    I love Reeling in the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭Kat1170

I wonder why it can't be shown on RTE1+1

Doesn't really make sense :confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭jimmy blevins

Fleawuss wrote: »
    Jesus H Christ. The romantic interlude with Johnny Macaroni. We were a terribly impoverished country trying to make our way. The pity of it all. Actually sad now for those who had to survive in such a bleak world.

What year was on tonight 1848?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Kat1170 wrote: »

Think it's to do with fees charged by the providers, it doesn't get shown on RTÉ Player either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

I recently had a trawl of YouTube looking for Reeling in the Years. There's a few episodes on it, although my favourite has always been 1994 (22 years later and I'm still a sucker for the first Riverdance in the Eurovision interval)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

What year was on tonight 1848?

I was watching nationwide about the 1930's and 40's dance hall: ballroom of romance! Mind you 1984 was pretty bleak too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The Guards going around in a Ford Sierra in tonights episode.

Seriously though the place looked fairly bleak in 1984, I was only 10 at the time but from tonights episode it looked like every place was shutting down and there was zero chance of getting a job.

The "millennials" who think they have it so hard should look at this programme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭trixiebust

Kat1170 wrote: »

Presume it's due to the royalties, from the music throughout the show. RTE would have to pay again for any music featured.

The 2000-2009 episodes were fairly shite it has to be said.

Modern life is rubbish as the Blur album quite rightly suggests

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

syklops wrote: »
    I'll admit it occasionally brings a tear to the eye. Especially around Italia 90. No idea why.

Because it's fecking excellently edited which RTE rarely do (they did for the 2002 World Cup highlights too - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKw3EO3xpQc ). Reeling in the Years is a bit of an RTE oddity like that. :D

Loads of episodes on Youtube by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Anybody have any of the tv broadcasts in video file format they are willing to share please? Cant find the DVDs for sale anywhere online and even then those versions are missing alot apparently due to copyright issues. Thanks

There's a healthy torrent of 1962-2009. Probably against boards rules to link it but the "infohash" is 55146F8BE6689B57E401479824B3E589A0B4A478

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Its great to look back on a time before everyone had a smartphone, selfies did not exist, no one used social media.life seems more simple.pop
    music was different, there was not 30 music channels ,or youtube.life looks more simple,
    not so materialistic. There were no ghost estates ,
    you worked or were on the dole or you left the country,
    you did not work as an intern for 50 euros.
    maybe people were not so obsessed with brand names ,
    eg 100 euro trainers .
    its the best show rte makes, theres not a dull or wasted moment.
    its like take year x , greatest hits of this year, the most interesting things that happened in the year.
    it could be used in a history class .
    look at the 80,s ,90s, irish people in general dress better now.
    before the celtic tiger people drove cars 10-20 years old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

The latter ones (2000'd) aren't as good, I'm assuming different editors working on them.

I think they should do it every year rather than ten

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I forget the year, but there is an episode which ends with a focus on emigration - loads of people waiting for buses and planes to the UK/USA, and the music is Mary Black singing 'As I leave behind Neidin'.

It's really haunting stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

That show is maudlin auld pish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

OU812 wrote: »

huh? they do it for every year?

my understanding is they just dont do the 'modern' years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

osarusan wrote: »
    I forget the year, but there is an episode which ends with a focus on emigration - loads of people waiting for buses and planes to the UK/USA, and the music is Mary Black singing 'As I leave behind Neidin'.

I was just going to post about this. 1986.

It's the young lad with the lisp getting on the bus to London who says he has no skills and he will hope for the best. Poignant and depressingly sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Reg_hurley

osarusan wrote: »

1986. It's sad to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

riclad wrote: »
    Its great to look back on a time before everyone had a smartphone, selfies did not exist, no one used social media.life seems more simple.pop
    music was different, there was not 30 music channels ,or youtube.life looks more simple,
    not so materialistic. There were no ghost estates ,
    you worked or were on the dole or you left the country,
    maybe people were not so obsessed with brand names ,
    eg 100 euro trainers .
    its the best show rte makes, theres not a dull or wasted moment.
    its like take year x , greatest hits of this year, the most interesting things that happened in the year.
    it could be used in a history class .
    look at the 80,s ,90s, irish people in general dress better now.
    before the celtic tiger people drove cars 10-20 years old.

Do those rose tinted glasses not give you a headache?

"Either you were on the dole, or worked or left the country...a simpler life". Yeah because we all know how easy it is moving country. And its even simpler when you cant find and book accommodation before you go. And its even simpler again when youve no money and no marketable skills.

Yes music was better, but in those days music piracy was when you recorded songs off the radio. When a song came out that you liked you had to save up for six weeks to buy the album and then a week later the tape machine chewed up the tape, you couldnt go onto iTunes and buy it for €1.

People werent so materialistic because many people didnt have two pennies to rub together.

No there werent interns on 50 euro a week but there was also no minimum wage so there were people out there working for £1 an hour - or even less. The minimum wage came in in the year 2000 and was set at £4.40.

Now dont get me wrong, Reeling in the Years is one of my favourite TV programs, but most days I end up feeling a bit melancholy after watching it. Not wistfully looking back to a simpler time.

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    There's a healthy torrent of 1962-2009. Probably against boards rules to link it but the "infohash" is 55146F8BE6689B57E401479824B3E589A0B4A478

Thank you sir

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I guess it'll be only a matter of time before there's a Reeling Out The Years that shows us the news of the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

valoren wrote: »
    I was just going to post about this. 1986.

It's the young lad with the lisp getting on the bus to London who says he has no skills and he will hope for the best. Poignant and depressingly sad.

Wouldn't it be interesting to know how it worked out for them all

The latter ones (2000'd) aren't as good, I'm assuming different editors working on them.

It's not the editing, it's that they didn't wait long enough to make it. It was made in 2011 I think, and that's not enough time to see what events have a longterm impact.

E.g. Some of the earlier ones show clips in the 60s/70s of Mary Robinson campaigning as a student... fast forward to 1990 and she's president. They were able to pull those clips of her at student protests knowing how her career developed 20 years later. There's no way an editor would be able to pick a person out of a protest now as being a significant public figure in the future.

If Trump gets elected in November and make some controversial decisions a few years down the road, then the 2016 RITY could rightly show some of the controversial elements of his campaign from this year and what it led to. If he loses it probably wouldn't feature at all. But if you were to make the program next year, an editor is likely to stick in it because it's a big news story now. We have no idea of how it is going to pan out down the road. I'd prefer if they waited 8-10 years for hindsight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Yes there was unemployment.wages were low, there was emigration.
    theres plus,s and minus,es .
    There was no social pressure to be on facebook or social media ,
    There was no pressure to post loads of pics or selfies or to pretend i am cool ,look at my instragram/ snapchat .
    my first job was 50 euro per week,
    i don,t think i have rose coloured glasses .
    people did not go to pubs or cafes and just look at phones .
    I,m not saying life was easy in the 80.s or the 90s .

It's not the editing, it's that they didn't wait long enough to make it. It was made in 2011 I think, and that's not enough time to see what events have a longterm impact.

E.g. Some of the earlier ones show clips in the 60s/70s of Mary Robinson campaigning as a student... fast forward to 1990 and she's president. They were able to pull those clips of her at student protests knowing how her career developed 20 years later. There's no way an editor would be able to pick a person out of a protest now as being a significant public figure in the future.

If Trump gets elected in November and make some controversial decisions a few years down the road, then the 2016 RITY could rightly show some of the controversial elements of his campaign from this year and what it led to. If he loses it probably wouldn't feature at all. But if you were to make the program next year, an editor is likely to stick in it because it's a big news story now. We have no idea of how it is going to pan out down the road. I'd prefer if they waited 8-10 years for hindsight.

Spot on.

A RITY from 2008 showing the US copying the BBCs "The Apprentice" format with Trump hosting, would seem interesting and relevant now. But in 2010, editing a 2008 RITY episode, you wouldnt include it because who cares about Donald Trump in 2010?

I actually reckon doing it every year would make the problem you are talking about worse; the 2000s had less time for hindsight since they were made right after them, which leads to them seeming to have less 'direction'. Won't happen but someone else mentioned, it might be best to leave the 2010-19 ones until around 2030 to make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

Trump's version of the apprentice came first by several years, Even Martha Strwart had a version before Sir Alan.

She was ever so polite, instead of "You're Fired", she'd stand up, walk them out, shake their hand and tell them "It was very nice to meet you"

• Advertisement

my first job was 50 euro per week,
    i don,t think i have rose coloured glasses .
    :p

Spot on.

A RITY from 2008 showing the US copying the BBCs "The Apprentice" format with Trump hosting, would seem interesting and relevant now. But in 2010, editing a 2008 RITY episode, you wouldnt include it because who cares about Donald Trump in 2010?
    Actually, the US version came first. My irrelevant, nitpicky point of the day is done now, and it's not even 10am! :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Apprentice_(U.S._TV_series)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Apprentice_(UK_TV_series)

Billy86 wrote: »
    Actually, the US version came first. My irrelevant, nitpicky point of the day is done now, and it's not even 10am! :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Apprentice_(U.S._TV_series)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Apprentice_(UK_TV_series)

OK fair enough, but I think you understood my point anyway.

OK fair enough, but I think you understood my point anyway.

Ah yeah completely and I do agree, it's just one of those rare times the Brits copied the Yanks for TV so we might as well give them some credit. I was just being a pre-coffee pedant. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Been watching it again recently on RTE.

What's great about it is the format: the music and footage take precedence.

None of the usual retro show bollocks of getting Z List celebrities to reminisce about what they were doing in 1982 while you're trying not to boot in the fcuking screen in annoyance, waiting for decent archive footage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement