Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reeling in the years

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

This post has been deleted.
    Especially the bit after Trump declares himself God-Emperor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Ballinspittle, the blind hysteria is truly terrifying and it wasnt that long ago either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Ballinspittle, the blind hysteria is truly terrifying and it wasnt that long ago either.

Could be worse, could be leprechauns in the trees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Makes me glad I didn't grow up in that version of Ireland. Seems like there was a lot more total nutters around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

osarusan wrote: »
    I forget the year, but there is an episode which ends with a focus on emigration - loads of people waiting for buses and planes to the UK/USA, and the music is Mary Black singing 'As I leave behind Neidin'.

It's really haunting stuff.

That is one episode and piece of footage that really stuck with me. I was only 4 at the time so wouldn't have known much about it but it's sad to think 30 years later our young people are still leaving in droves - at least now with Skype/Facetime and more frequent/accessible transport options young people can get home for visits... I digress...
    Every time I hear Sound of Silence by Simon & Garfunkel I think of JFK assassination and when I hear Teardrop by Massive Attack I think of the Omagh bomb... A song, a memory, jesus I'm getting old and sentimental

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Wigglepuppy

riclad wrote: »
    before the celtic tiger people drove cars 10-20 years old.
    I dunno... A 10-year-old/20-year-old car now would be in far better nick than a 10-year-old/20-year-old car would have been in 1996.
    Cars are better now. There was less money back then for sure, but cars were simply not roadworthy for as long as they tend to be now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

That is one episode and piece of footage that really stuck with me. I was only 4 at the time so wouldn't have known much about it but it's sad to think 30 years later our young people are still leaving in droves - at least now with Skype/Facetime and more frequent/accessible transport options young people can get home for visits... I digress...
    Every time I hear Sound of Silence by Simon & Garfunkel I think of JFK assassination and when I hear Teardrop by Massive Attack I think of the Omagh bomb... A song, a memory, jesus I'm getting old and sentimental

The clip of the aftermath of 9/11 in the 2001 episode with Radiohead's "Pyramid song" playing in the background is the one that does it for me. The month before hand that August 2001, I went to see Radiohead play Grant Park in Chicago. I remember them playing that song and looking at the skyscrapers behind the stage. Crazy.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

It's not the editing, it's that they didn't wait long enough to make it. It was made in 2011 I think, and that's not enough time to see what events have a longterm impact.

100% agreed and given that they'll be under pressure to make 2010-2019 in 2020 it's likely going to be the same problem going forward.

One solution they should be open to is doing a re-edit, i.e, in 2020 as well as doing the new episodes they could redo say 2001 to include An Taoiseach Healy Rae at his first council meeting, footage of Annalise Murphy at the community games sailing and anything else which has with hindsight become relevant. Whether they cut to make room or add a few minutes on can be debated.

Theres no rule that the RITY2001 already shown has to be the definitive and only edition of it and a new re-edited version also has some marketing potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

I still shed a tear when they show the clip of Ray Houghton scoring against the auld enemy in Stuttgart, first time in me life I got nervous was watching that match.

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

buried wrote: »
    The clip of the aftermath of 9/11 in the 2001 episode with Radiohead's "Pyramid song" playing in the background is the one that does it for me. The month before hand that August 2001, I went to see Radiohead play Grant Park in Chicago. I remember them playing that song and looking at the skyscrapers behind the stage. Crazy.

Slightly on topic here - tonight's episode finished with Paul Brady - The Island and I remember the Friday after 9/11 he was on the show and he sang it...

Slightly off topic (the topic is now just a dot to me) but New York by Ryan Adams is one song that really gives me goosebumps - he filmed the video at (I think) Brooklyn Bridge (with the Twin Towers in the background) something like 2 or 3 days before 9/11

• Advertisement

Interesting and tragically funny, Father Ted- esque BBC piece on Ballinspittle

The moving statue of Ballinspittle grotto (Irelan…: http://youtu.be/kZjM83wZmWw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Looking at that^ video and it could be something from the 1950s never mind the 1980s. Quite embarrassing & amazing carry on, almost like a mass form of hysteria?

Cue Reeling in the years from this year (in twenty years time) with RTE looking back at 2016 with all the 1916 commemorations, the death of David Bowie, Brexit-Boris, goodbye Cameron hello May .... and then the Rio Olympics, with fantastic feats in track & field, Bolt, Phelps, sailing, swimming, dressage, hockey etc ....

And the O.C.I Pat Hickey ticket scandal :((
    http://img.rasset.ie/000cb613-642.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

When you see the scenes with refugees you know that the right thing to do is to open the border and let them in. In the moment we always find reasons not to do the right thing though.

It's a really important show. Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it. Thus show gives the history and the context. It's brilliant. Well done RTE.

LordSutch wrote: »
    Looking at that^ video and it could be something from the 1950s never mind the 1980s. Quite embarrassing & amazing carry on, almost like a mass form of hysteria?http://img.rasset.ie/000cb613-642.jpg

Dev and McQuaid set us back decades and we still arent out of the woods yet. When you consider the social upheaval that was taking place in America during the 60's compared to the religious extremist regime we were under at the same time we still have a good bit of catching up to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Don't see what's terrifying about it. That's what that generations morons did. This generations morons have social media to keep them occupied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

robbiezero wrote: »
    Don't see what's terrifying about it. That's what that generations morons did. This generations morons have social media to keep them occupied.

This generations morons have Danny Healy Rae. Plus ca change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Dev and McQuaid set us back decades and we still arent out of the woods yet. When you consider the social upheaval that was taking place in America during the 60's compared to the religious extremist regime we were under at the same time we still have a good bit of catching up to do.

Yeah, because there is no religious extremism in America. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Was Dev not elected in a democracy? The people voted for him.
    Also I don't believe the Catholic puts a gun to anyones head to follow their teachings.
    They gave the people what they wanted.

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Yeah, because there is no religious extremism in America. :rolleyes:

Never said there wasnt, any religious extremism in U.S, read again. Religion never had a "special position" enshrined in U.S constitution like Dev did with the Church. Religion was the de facto government here for a time.

• Advertisement

Says man commenting through social media. :)

Was Dev not elected in a democracy? The people voted for him.
    Also I don't believe the Catholic puts a gun to anyones head to follow their teachings.
    They gave the people what they wanted.

The Nazi Party also won a popular vote to sweep to power, Bush Jr won two elections, the list goes on,whats your point? Just because somebody is voted in doesnt make them immune to retrospective critique for their misdeeds. Give people what they wanted? There wasnt any choice, go to mass or be shamed from the pulpit otherwise.I wont even get started on the many other fear and suppresion tactics the Church engaged in to oppress and control the majority of the population, with state powers in deference and assistance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Has anyone recognised themselves from any of the programs, I love the GAA matches and the protests for various eras, Arrest Ronald Reagan( for what? ) arrest Tony Blair, will it be arrest Donald Trump one day in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

mariaalice wrote: »
    Has anyone recognised themselves from any of the programs, I love the GAA matches and the protests for various eras, Arrest Ronald Reagan( for what? ) arrest Tony Blair, will it be arrest Donald Trump one day in the future.

why wait?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

1986 tonight, I was a 25 year old mad thing then :-)

Great programme have all me foreign friends here in Portugal watching it with me most nights.

1985 tonight, I was a 25 year old mad thing then :-)

Great programme have all me foreign friends here in Portugal watching it with me most nights.

'86 tonight, yeah fantastic show, Ive easily watched each episode at least 3-4 times at this stage its been repeated so much but always worth a watch. Should be part of school curriculum, replace religion class with it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The Kowloon Bridge, I remember it well. Turns out Cork County Council spent £500k cleaning it up and never got a penny from the owners, completely odd but back then lots of goings on like that so to speak. Apparently millions worth of iron ore still there and the scrap value of the ship...
    The ship was carrying a cargo of iron ore, estimated to be worth millions of euro now.

"The original clean-up by Cork County Council was reported as costing £500,000. The owner of the wreck has never had to reimburse this money.

"If he suddenly is able to make the wreck affordable to salvage, because of the change in metal markets, then he should be made to reimburse the clean-up cost," he said.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/campaign-to-stop-salvage-of-kowloon-bridge-shipwreck-1.1042025

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Went through a Reeling in the years binge a few weeks ago. Brendan Shine seems to pop up a disproportionate amount of times. I love the fact that it was 1980 before Dublin Bus got its first female driver.

I love the fact that it was 1980 before Dublin Bus got its first female driver.

Positively revolutionary here for the time. :). A female, Protestant president ten years later must have made peoples heads explode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

'86 tonight, yeah fantastic show, Ive easily watched each episode at least 3-4 times at this stage its been repeated so much but always worth a watch. Should be part of school curriculum, replace religion class with it. :)

About 50ish episodes. That would probably cover 2 years of CSPE!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

I agree its a great programme, I was born in 91 so don't remember anything I see on it but still find it fascinating! Must watch more of it, only seen a few episodes

• Advertisement

About 50ish episodes. That would probably cover 2 years of CSPE!!!

And infinitely more beneficial, even the doziest, short attention span, daydreaming student like I was would b kept engrossed by the slick editing/soundtrack, history class for the music video generation. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Positively revolutionary here for the time. :). A female, Protestant president ten years later must have made peoples heads explode.

Mary Robinson is a Catholic.

Anyway, even if she was a Protestant, she'd be the third elected President.

Mary Robinson is a Catholic.

Anyway, even if she was a Protestant, she'd be the third elected President.

Embarrassed face, I stand corrected. Was always told by my elders at the time she was Protestant, older bigoted generation (and my relatices) must have made made assumptions based on surname. Everyday is a school day. Yea I knew of childers alright but he was male, wasnt a double subversion for the electorate to deal with at the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Wigglepuppy

Went through a Reeling in the years binge a few weeks ago. Brendan Shine seems to pop up a disproportionate amount of times. I love the fact that it was 1980 before Dublin Bus got its first female driver.
    I was surprised it was as early as 1980! I have barely ever encountered a female bus driver in my life, and 1980 was a good bit before my time. Might just have been a Dublin thing though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Embarrassed face, I stand corrected. Was always told by my elders at the time she was Protestant, older bigoted generation (and my relatices) must have made made assumptions based on surname. Everyday is a school day. Yea I knew of childers alright but he was male, wasnt a double subversion for the electorate to deal with at the time

Apparently she married a Protestant, so people must have assumed for that reason. She doesn't seem to have converted though.

Douglas Hyde also kicked with the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Says man commenting through social media. :)

Can anyone explain to me how that matters at all?

If I say 'people using social media are often morons' via social media how has the fact that I've used social media to convey my opinion somehow negated it?

If I write a letter saying 'some books is shit innit' is it negated because I use the same medium as the book?

Apparently she married a Protestant, so people must have assumed for that reason. She doesn't seem to have converted though.

Douglas Hyde also kicked with the left.

Plus her 60's Trinity education at a time when many Catholics still saw it as symbolic of a protestant ascendancy class. Apparently she had to seek permission from her Catholic Archbishop just to be permitted to study there. I've learnt alot tonight, thanks lads. :)

Can anyone explain to me how that matters at all?

If I say 'people using social media are often morons' via social media how has the fact that I've used social media to convey my opinion somehow negated it?

If I write a letter saying 'some books is shit innit' is it negated because I use the same medium as the book?

Ok if you want to get into the linguistic minutiae of it he stated "This generations morons have social media to keep them occupied." Big difference to "people using social media are often morons".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Ok if you want to get into the linguistic minutiae of it he stated "This generations morons have social media to keep them occupied." Big difference to "people using social media are often morons".

Okay. So you can't use social media to criticise users of social media?

What year does the show currently run up to? It's going to be some job chopping up the ultra-grim headlines from the last few years to the soundtrack of the awful soulless pop music that was made at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

I hate this show now because it's constantly repeated, although I though I liked it at first. I've seen that Charles Haughey Living way beyond our means speech like a thousand times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Pity it ended tonight. It's the only thing I watch on RTE for my TV licence money. Back to the hum drum $hite next week.

Pity it ended tonight. It's the only thing I watch on RTE for my TV licence money. Back to the hum drum $hite next week.

It lives on through the torrent download link provided previously on this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Best part of it is the songs it reminds you of. New Order by Blue Monday was on it during the week, nothing like a decent bit of synth :p

What year does the show currently run up to? It's going to be some job chopping up the ultra-grim headlines from the last few years to the soundtrack of the awful soulless pop music that was made at the same time.
    Or they could just play some of the utterly fantastic music to come out in recent years?

I think it runs to 2009, would personally rather they didn't make 2010-19 until at least 2025 if not 2030; much better chance of really looking at what happened in those years impacted things down the road, which is one of the best aspects of the show.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Or they could just play some of the utterly fantastic music to come out in recent years?

I think it runs to 2009, would personally rather they didn't make 2010-19 until at least 2025 if not 2030; much better chance of really looking at what happened in those years impacted things down the road, which is one of the best aspects of the show.

That's true, hopefully they can and will dig some out :) What would you have in there yourself Billy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Noveight wrote: »
    Best part of it is the songs it reminds you of. New Order by Blue Monday was on it during the week, nothing like a decent bit of synth :p

That would be Blue Monday by New Order.

That's true, hopefully they can and will dig some out :) What would you have in there yourself Billy?
    Some that came to mind...

M83 - Midnight City
    Chemical Bros - Swoon
    Kygo - Stay
    Django soundtrack - Freedom
    Kendrick Lamar - Swimming Pools
    Le1f - Wut (it's a very, very gay rap song, and it's f***ing amazing!!)
    Blur - Under the Westway
    Tuneyards - My Country (such a fun song, awesome video)
    Tuneyards - Gangster
    Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros - Home
    Dirty Projectors - Stillness is the Move
    Dirty Projectors - No Intention
    Lana Del Rey - Video Games
    Neon Indian - Deadbeat Summer
    Lady Gaga - Born This Way (yeah, I said it, would dominate the SSM referendum)
    Radiohead - House of Cards
    Big Boi - Shutterbug
    DJ Quik & MC Kurupt - 9x Outta 10
    DJ Quik & MC Kurupt - Hey Playa!
    Gotye - Someone That I Used to Know
    Danny Brown - Grown Up
    Grouplove - Itching on a Photograph
    Jay Z / Kanye West - Otis
    Lil B - I Seen That Light
    Disclosure - When A Fire Starts to Burn
    LCD Soundsystem - Drunk Girls
    LCD Soundsystem - Dance Yourself Clear
    Chvrches - Recover
    Electric Youth & College - Real Hero (off 'Drive' soundtrack)
    Araabmuzik - Streets Tonight
    Cults - Abducted
    Cults - Go Outside
    Foster the People - Pumped Up Kicks
    Kanye West - Monster (which shows Nikki Minaj is way, way more talented than you might think!)
    TNGHT - Higher Ground
    Rustie - Slasherr
    Azaelia Banks - 212
    Ceelo Green - F*ck You (for the 2011 election results :D)

...and the best artist to pop up all decade I reckon, Chance the Rapper. If anyone's interested check out Angels, Favourite Song or Family, the guy is amazing and thankfully not all about 'guns, drugs and b*tches' or that tired craic. Read in an interview his dad worked for Obama before he got on the national stage, he's middle class and actually listened to classic music rather than rap until he was in his teens (and it shows in his music). He's rejected a bunch of record labels actually to avoid being tied into churning out music on deadline or to a required sound (it's why you can hear them plugging the sh*t out of a few Chicago radio stations in the song below :D ).

Of course the problem is that while the internet has brought about tonnes of different options for music and actually given arguably better quality than ever before (for those looking for it) in terms of personal preferences... the reverse means the mainstream stuff can be a bit garbage. Mind you, not a big fan but Adele's stuff is perfect background music for somber scenes - e.g. Someone Like You for a famous, beloved person that died in 2011 or 2012.

Also, he's a fecking rodent of a human being but Kanye West is an incredibly talented solo artist. It almost pains me to type that. :o

Good list Billy man! I'll be checking the ones in there I haven't heard because you've got a lot of stuff in there I already enjoy!
    Do you listen to "Burial" "Andy Stott" or "Dean Blunt"? I'd think you'd like those guys

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The Nazi Party also won a popular vote to sweep to power, .
    IIRC the only got 33% in that election. More of a senior partner in a coalition thing.

This is of course one big problem of first past the post as demonstrated by UK elections where you just need half the votes in two thirds of the constituencies in Southern England* to get an overall majority.

Wessex and Mercia 830 AD. https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/ed/c2/88/edc28825d588888510514d89e88a105f.jpg

Advertisement