Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hedgehog visitor

• 01-09-2015 4:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭

Hello, I wasn't sure if this was the correct place to put this since it is technically about wildlife, but here goes. (Please move to appropriate thread if needed Moddies!)

Ok so I feed some local feral cats, because why the heck wouldn't I the poor dears! They're adorable and they come when I call them, they let me give them head rubs and snuggle against my back door when they're all full up. Now he past couple of nights when we've all had our ear scratches and leg rubs and I'm ready to go back inside, I've noticed a little hedgehog just next to the bushes. The cats pay no heed to him whatsoever, and seem totally ok with him hanging out, and once my outside babies are happy, I'm happy. So I've started putting a pile of kitty kibble further away from where my cats have their dish, so they don't get offended that this little intruder is coming to eat their left overs. Now what I'm wondering: Is my new little friend going to start rows with my cats, even though they don't pay any mind to him, does he pose any threat to them do you think? Also am I ok to feed him kitty kibble? Do they need any special dietary requirements? From all I can remember of my childhood and hearing about hedgehogs they love bread soaked in milk and cat food is fine for them but could this be a myth? I wouldn't dare leave milk out anyway because my cats would end up drinking it and getting the runs. :(

I guess what I'm asking is do you guys have any advice on how to deal with my new little friend, or should I just leave him be, give him his kitty kibble separately and watch him scoot around like the adorable little guy he is?

Here he is, that adorable little fiend, helping him self to some noms! :o

0FlYPwD.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

I don't know if by kibble you mean dry food, but I do know they adore wet dog and cat food!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

You'll have no problems with hedgehogs - they'll happily share a plate with a cat.

One thing though - please, never feed them bread and milk - it has hardly any nutritional value but fills their stomachs and also will give them diarrhoea.

Cat or dog food is excellent - if you're feeding dry, please also leave them out a saucer of water for them. To be honest, tinned food would probably be best, just as they wouldn't be used to dry food and again you have the issue of it swelling and filling them up quicker.

Thanks for looking after the kitties and the hedgies!!!

(One other thing, I hope you don't mind me asking, but have you got your kitties neutered? If not, hopefully your local rescue should trap them for you, get them neutered and then bring them back to you. Apart from the obvious of stopping hundreds of more kitties, it also helps with reducing mammary tumours, as well as helping to reduce fighting and roaming in Tom's. )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

That hedgehog looks nice and fat. He should survive hibernation after all the cat food he is eating!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

The cats could get fleas from him they get too close but other than that your hedgehog won't cause any trouble. He looks lovely :-)

The cats could get fleas from him they get too close but other than that your hedgehog won't cause any trouble. He looks lovely :-)
    Hedgehog fleas live on hedgehogs only and will not live on cats/dogs.

• Advertisement

I don't think you are correct. They might not be able to complete their life cycle on an incidental host but they can still bite and cause irritation

I don't think you are correct. They might not be able to complete their life cycle on an incidental host but they can still bite and cause irritation

Exactly they can't complete their lifecycle. They will not be able to infect the cats. An aberrant flea will bite once and no more.

Fair point

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭jaded_pause

Kablamo! wrote: »
    I don't know if by kibble you mean dry food, but I do know they adore wet dog and cat food!

Yes, I mean dry food, I don't know if you can see clearly in the image but there was a bit of wet food in one side and the side he's eating from was dry food, but He seemed to prefer the dry, hence I've been leaving it out for him, I have plenty of wet food for my girls, because my Mother in Law buys it in bulk for me :o

The point about my cats being neutered. Gosh I don't know how many times I've called my local SPCA to get help in neutering them. It must be up in the hundreds by now. They have very little to no funding for feral cats, and their main priority seems to be mistreated farm animals and horses. I have started a savings account to get them neutered myself, which will come to €240, which is not a small amount to me unfortunately. The Vet I will be taking them to understands they are ferals, and she has said that she will knock some money off it for me, so I'm hoping for maybe under 200 for the three of them. It's a sore point of conversation in my house hold at the moment :mad:

Thanks for all the replies everyone, I really appreciate the input!

Edit: Also not pictured: Large old saucepan full of water for all my outside visitors :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭fathead82

I have two females with babies and a large male hedgehog living in the yard/garden. One family live in the shed under a bale of straw that's up on a pallet. I give them tinned catfood mixed with dry catfood. Never give them bread soaked in milk, it's very bad for them. I don't know if it's right or not but I put a bit of parazol wormer in their food & gave each adult a shot of frontline onto their backs as I was afraid my cats or dogs would pick up anything off of them, especially when they are living so close to the house. It's great to see them every night out rooting about and even our jack russell x westie, who has a very high prey drive, has got used to them and ignores them.

• Advertisement

fathead82 wrote: »
    I have two females with babies and a large male hedgehog living in the yard/garden. One family live in the shed under a bale of straw that's up on a pallet. I give them tinned catfood mixed with dry catfood. Never give them bread soaked in milk, it's very bad for them. I don't know if it's right or not but I put a bit of parazol wormer in their food & gave each adult a shot of frontline onto their backs as I was afraid my cats or dogs would pick up anything off of them, especially when they are living so close to the house. It's great to see them every night out rooting about and even our jack russell x westie, who has a very high prey drive, has got used to them and ignores them.

That's a great idea, and since it's coming up to autumn, I'll get some de-wormer and put it in some food for Mr. Hedgeford. (OH came up with the name, it appears to have stuck) I'd be worried I'd scare him off if I tried to get some frontline on him, I'll give it a go though. Thanks for the reassurance! :D

fathead82 wrote: »
    I. I don't know if it's right or not but I put a bit of parazol wormer in their food & gave each adult a shot of frontline onto their backs as I was afraid my cats or dogs would pick up anything off of them, especially when they are living so close to the house..

Yeah I was recommended by a vet to do that when I had a convalescing hedgehog in my garden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Yvonne from Hedgehog Rescue Dublin could be quite helpful if you have more questions. She helps a LOT of hedgehogs all year round. She's even turned her shed into a hibernation station for sick hedgies :)

https://www.facebook.com/hedgehogrescuedublin

Alicat wrote: »
    Yvonne from Hedgehog Rescue Dublin could be quite helpful if you have more questions. She helps a LOT of hedgehogs all year round. She's even turned her shed into a hibernation station for sick hedgies :)

https://www.facebook.com/hedgehogrescuedublin
    Runs the whole rescue on her own. A legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

OP, where in the country are you based?

Just asking as some of the posters here might know of a rescue that will assist you with neutering :)

Well done for looking after the fur babies and Mr. Hedgeford - I'm jealous! I'd love to have a little hedgehog to visit me every night.

OP, where in the country are you based?

Just asking as some of the posters here might know of a rescue that will assist you with neutering :)

Well done for looking after the fur babies and Mr. Hedgeford - I'm jealous! I'd love to have a little hedgehog to visit me every night.

I'm in the midlands, Athlone to be specific, I know that the Athlone SPCA do amazing work but they are run off their feet, and only have a few volunteers. Which is why I decided to try and get it done myself, for the sake of my fur kiddies, and keeping them safe and happy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

You are good, I'm so sorry it's so expensive. I must admit, I'm really near the border so take mine across as it's about £35 to neuter, but, the vets also do a deal with the local (this side) animal rescue so we get all ours done for free if we don't have the money to cover it (we've rescued/rehomed/TNR'd over 60 cats over the years)

Hopefully someone else may know your area and come up with some idea's?

Advertisement