Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep an eye on your sheds...

Options
  • 01-09-2015 6:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

Seems like someone has been jumping the fences down in the Wood checking out the sheds. A whole row of sheds (including our own) left open this morning. Nothing taken AFAIK from oura , but have a feeling they may return.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Thanks for the heads up.
    Not a good place to store a half descent bicycle.

Recently a friend of mine has his bike stolen from his garden shed, he lives in Delgany Wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭the Lamb Post

JanneG wrote: »
    A whole row of sheds (including our own) left open this morning.

Hi just curious..... but were any of the sheds locked?

Were they broken into or just opportunistic opening of unlocked doors?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

That's amazing. The fences are darn high. I guess they just throw the bike over then climb over themselves and keep going.

I always thought the high fences would put them off.

How many gardens in are they going?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Hi just curious..... but were any of the sheds locked?

The average garden shed is very flimsy so even with a good lock it is about as secure as a cardboard box.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

2011 wrote: »
    The average garden shed is very flimsy so even with a good lock it is about as secure as a cardboard box.

It is possible to purchase high-powered battery alarms which might be a worthwhile investment if you have an expensive bike in the shed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

That's right, and the standard bolt is useless with a lock, these enterprising people just lever the 'J' part of the bolt down and back and they are in.
    If you want to keep a lawnmower, hedge trimmer etc in a shed its important to fit a hasp type closure and bolt it to the door and surround with coach bolts also important to use at least one bolt on each side of each door hinge. It won't keep a very determined thief out but the casual one will move on...oh and don't forget the sensor lights..

homer911 wrote: »
    It is possible to purchase high-powered battery alarms which might be a worthwhile investment if you have an expensive bike in the shed

It is also possible to wire a zone from your house alarm to your shed but I still would not leave an expensive bike there.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

FirstIn wrote: »
    That's amazing. The fences are darn high. I guess they just throw the bike over then climb over themselves and keep going.

I always thought the high fences would put them off.

How many gardens in are they going?

Ours would have been the fifth garden in...

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

Based on Facebook posts they've done the rounds properly and taken bikes from balconies etc as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

FYI I noticed there's a good few bikes appearing of late on the Bray Gardai Facebook page if anyone's missing one ...

https://www.facebook.com/OfficialBrayNeighbourhoodWatch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

Spoke to the one of the Gardai in Greystones and they stopped a van load of stolen bikes. 1 if not 2 were arrested.

He asked that if anyone suspicious hanging around, to phone them.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

Appears the area is a real crime black spot.

Neighbours house broken in to on Tuesday. Entered at the front. Used a crowbar to lever open the front windows.
    Happened mid morning.

Much of the estate is very quiet during the day with kids in school and parents working or drinking coffee on the Main Street. Hightened awareness and paying attention to goings on is needed by those that are home.

I also think that as the hedges separating the houses grow it gives more shelter to burglars for entering at the front.

Many of the street lights within the estate are not working which doesn't help either. These should be reported for repair.

Finally. Proper sentences are needed for these scumbags when they eventually get caught. Though that's something more suited to another forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Same in rathdrum/laragh, there is obviously a gang doing the rounds. We have had four break-ins in the area this week.

Wicklow is under siege at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

delgany-crew trying front doors in the wee small hours in the last week, presumably law of averages suggests a percentage will be unlocked

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭IanL

yeah, got opened too but thankfully nothing worth nicking, inside of our shed a health and safety hazard s my only disappointment is that the toerag didn't do an injury!!!!

Advertisement