Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What pointless pieces of information do you have stored away in your brain?

• 01-09-2015 8:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭

I know that at the beginning of 50 Cent's song In Da Club, he says "Go" seven times before he gets into the song.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭Daith

26 Digit wireless WEP key for my former company from eight years ago. They still use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭conorhal

After obsessively watching Aliens as a teenager I'm confident that I could perform the entire film's dialogue in 'Aliens: The One Man Show'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,631 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

conorhal wrote: »
    After obsessively watching Aliens as a teenager I'm confident that I could perform the entire film's dialogue in 'Aliens: The One Man Show'.

So you'll be aware of my useless fact

The aliens in Aliens are not actually called 'xenomorphs'

The 'xenomorpohs' referred to in the movie are obviously some other kind of creatureor a generic name for any kind of alien that the marines had expected to be on the planet, but when they came across the aliens, they had obviously never seen anything like them before and had no name for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

Numberplates.
    I generally know people's cars by their numberplate before I ever see if it's them driving :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Homer eats Marges lipstick occasionally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭conorhal

Akrasia wrote: »
    So you'll be aware of my useless fact

The aliens in Aliens are not actually called 'xenomorphs'

The 'xenomorpohs' referred to in the movie are obviously some other kind of creatureor a generic name for any kind of alien that the marines had expected to be on the planet, but when they came across the aliens, they had obviously never seen anything like them before and had no name for them.

Pfft* 'I just need to know one thing, where they are....'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

1 Eur = .787564 Irish Pounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Showing my age, but there used to be a time when mobile phones didn't exist and we had to use landlines and pay phones. I still have the numbers of all my ex-girlfriends in my head, well probably their mums phone numbers now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Boring username

Never eat a polar bear's liver, as it contains fatal levels of Vitamin A and retinol:

http://animals.howstuffworks.com/mammals/eat-polar-bear-liver.htm

You'd never know when that nugget might come in handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,496 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

The odds of life on earth starting by random chance rather than by alien design are about 1 in ten trillion.
    Makes you think eh ?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

Lisa needs braces

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Not really information, but if you show me a picture of the Beatles I can tell you what year, and probably what month, it was taken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Endless Simpsons quotes, then again sometimes they don't work out the best, some folk look at me strange, it's like a mule with a spinning wheel, no one knows how he got it, and danged if he knows how to use it.

Also Premier League Footballers from the days of the Panini sticker album, damn you Steve Ogrizovic, Gunner Halle, Cobi Jones, Dean Holdsworth and Richard Edgehill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

The Daimler-Benz DB605 V12 engine used in the Messerschmitt BF109 was mounted upside-down, that is with the crankshaft above the cylinders. Actually, the engine itself was of an inverted-V configuration, so it wasn't actually upside-down at all. Also, good-quality indicator-tick, in Audis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

All the alarm codes for the corporate offices of a large international brewers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Joeseph Livinstone invented barbed wire,read it in a school book when I was 12 and remembered it for no particular reason.
    I think that is contested now so my useless piece of imformation I held for decades might not be even true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

The world's most isolated tree is in New Zealand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

I learned to pronounce two of the longest words in the english language: Floccinaucinihilipilification, and hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia. It's only ever come up in conversation once.

And for the most part, I can quote Apocalypse Now word for word. Not the redux version though, I was never keen on the scene with the french army

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

jimgoose wrote: »
    The Daimler-Benz DB605 V12 engine used in the Messerschmitt BF109 was mounted upside-down, that is with the crankshaft above the cylinders. Actually, the engine itself was of an inverted-V configuration, so it wasn't actually upside-down at all. Also, good-quality indicator-tick, in Audis.
    And when the Spanish built them after the war they used the Rolls Royce Merlin engine instead, as used in the Supermarine Spitfire. Ironicals all over the place. You can spot them in modern films because the exhausts are near the top. The 109 also had fuel injection, unlike the Spitfire which ran a carb. This meant in the early days and in the Battle of Britain if they went into a dive the Spit engine farted and spluttered and could stop altogether, so to get away in a dive they'd have to roll upside down to use negative G to keep the fuel in the floats. The Hurricane could out turn both of them(as could a Stuka).

I sat in a BF109 once. Bugger me, they should have given those pilots a medal for even attempting to fly one. Scarily claustrophobic. Actually at one stage their losses from landing and take off accidents was rivalling the number shot down.

The duck billed platypus is the only mammal with a poisonous sting. Apparently though rarely fatal the pain is among the worst one could suffer.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    And...

I approve of all of that. Good show. Also, nearly all of those huge marine engines the size of an office block are two-stroke. All together now, Babba-DING-ding-ding-ding-ding-ding-dingnngggg... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Right now it's that rats are really good at swimming and holding their breath under water and they can in fact climb up toilets. I'm horrified and the more reading into it I do, the more paranoid my knowledge makes me.

Wibbs wrote: »
    And when the Spanish built them after the war they used the Rolls Royce Merlin engine instead, as used in the Supermarine Spitfire. Ironicals all over the place. You can spot them in modern films because the exhausts are near the top. The 109 also had fuel injection, unlike the Spitfire which ran a carb. This meant in the early days and in the Battle of Britain if they went into a dive the Spit engine farted and spluttered and could stop altogether, so to get away in a dive they'd have to roll upside down to use negative G to keep the fuel in the floats. The Hurricane could out turn both of them(as could a Stuka).

And that problem was actually solved by a female circus motorbike daredevil who was recruited to work in the Spitfire factory. She engineered a valve that keep the fuel flowing even in -G conditions. That's the spirit, Betsy!

And that problem was actually solved by a female circus motorbike daredevil who was recruited to work in the Spitfire factory. She engineered a valve that keep the fuel flowing even in -G conditions. That's the spirit, Betsy!

You're thinking of "Ms. Shilling's Orifice". Beatrice Shilling was an engineer and motorcycle racer:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beatrice_Shilling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Supercell wrote: »
    The odds of life on earth starting by random chance rather than by alien design are about 1 in ten trillion.
    Makes you think eh ?

So if there's ten trillion planets out there, does that mean it was a dead cert to happen on one of them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭Wossack

how to peel an orange, in one continuous piece, such that when laid flat, the peel looks like a big dick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I still remember several silly incantations off by heart from childhood. "Our Father, who art..." etc. Stuck in the same mental shoebox as the tune from the Shake 'n' Vac ad.

I'm pretty sure one of those is pointless information.

jimgoose wrote: »
    You're thinking of "Ms. Shilling's Orifice". Beatrice Shilling was an engineer and motorcycle racer:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beatrice_Shilling

Judging from that picture, I would rather not think of Ms. Shilling's orifice :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Wossack wrote: »
    how to peel an orange, in one continuous piece, such that when laid flat, the peel looks like a big dick

Please bequeath your knowledge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

"I know all the words to Money For Nothing by Dire Straits".

Apparently when we were kids one of my friends remembers me cycling up to him (we weren't yet friends) and saying the above. He said "no you don't" and I proceeded to prove him wrong.

I'm sure, at a push, I could remember them now.

"Now look at them yo yos, that's the way you do it..."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover54

Of the top of my head I can name the scoreline, venue and the name of the goalscorers of every European Cup/ Champions League final since 1966.

It helps sometimes when I can't get to sleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Wossack wrote: »

I said pointless, not amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Technically the Earth and all the other planets don't orbit the Sun, they (along with the sun) orbit the centre of mass of the solar system otherwise known as the barycentre (just think of barry's tea and won't forget).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

Ad Deum qui laetificat juventutem meam :o

Technically the Earth and all the other planets don't orbit the Sun, they (along with the sun) orbit the centre of mass of the solar system otherwise known as the barycentre (just think of barry's tea and won't forget).

P'shaw. A sideshow, a mere bagatelle. The Universe and everything in it is expanding at terrific speed. This is no straightforward matter of everything flying away from everything else, like Gravity's demented half-brother. Oh no, the very fabric of space-time itself is expanding. Think about it. This means that eventually you, I and everyone here present will transform into the most diffuse gas imaginable - what astronomers call a Giant Windbag. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

When elephants flap their ears, they're angry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Horses can't vomit. Dont know why I know that, but I do.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

A pigs orgasm can last up to 30 minutes.
    They are also the only animal that mate for pleasure as well as reproduction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    They are also the only animal that mate for pleasure as well as reproduction.

Humans are animals....and I have met one or two who mate for pleasure!!

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭ciarang85

Every time you lick a stamp you consume 1/10 of a calorie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

The family homes phone number from about 16 years ago. Now thanks to mobiles I cant even remember our current one, dispite them having it most of that time since.

Same applies to other numbers I used to ring before mobiles became popular.

A number plate of a car my dad owned for about 6 months 20 years ago, for some reason of all the cars he owned, its in my memory for some reason. Also remember the number plates of any car I owned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    A pigs orgasm can last up to 30 minutes.
    I don't think my wife would appreciate being called a pig.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭magic_murph

My Boards.ie password.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭nathang20

If the USA alone were to shake the last few drops of fuel from the pump into the vehicle, it would save on average of 124,000 litres of fuel per day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

conorhal wrote: »
    I think i can do the same for The Terminator XD

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I reckon I could name about 90% of US state capitals off the top of my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,715 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

"An bhfuil cead agam dul chuig on leithreas", the spelling is probably wrong but it's the only bit of Irish I can remember 30 years after learning it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

"Sesquipedalian", one of those long words hardly anyone ever uses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

C4's 'Peep Show' is set in Croydon. They changed the theme tune after season 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I know that at the beginning of 50 Cent's song In Da Club, he says "Go" seven times before he gets into the song.

Each verse rapped in 21 Seconds To Go by So Solid Crew lasts exactly 21 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭CFlat

Modern Formula 1 cars, at high speeds, develop enough downforce to theoretically be able to drive upside down on a ceiling.

• Advertisement
Advertisement