Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What pointless pieces of information do you have stored away in your brain?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

libelula wrote: »
    Numberplates.
    I generally know people's cars by their numberplate before I ever see if it's them driving :rolleyes:

I'm not the only one!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

All of the land line numbers of my childhood friends.
    All of my former car registrations. All of my dad's cars since I was a child.
    All of the elements on the periodic table.
    All of the american states.
    All of the ID numbers of my class in college (30 of us) - from 15 years ago.

generally stuff that involves numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,925 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

SEGA GENESIS ALADDIN LEVEL CODE

ABU
    ALADDIN
    GENIE
    JASMINE

July 4, 1993.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I can recite the first chapter of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone from memory.

Huey Lewis of the news played on Live and Dangerous of the Thin Lizzy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

There are 9mn bicycles in Beijing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

conorhal wrote: »
    Pfft* 'I just need to know one thing, where they are....'
    Yeah, right. Somebody said aliens, you thought they said "illegal aliens" and signed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭cmore123

India is a very big country.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Burkie94

That the 100 years war lasted 116 years.

Although it has come up in the odd pub quiz so maybe not entirely pointless!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

I can recite Pi to 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000 digits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Omackeral wrote: »
    Each verse rapped in 21 Seconds To Go by So Solid Crew lasts exactly 21 seconds.

The number of syllables in each line of the verses of the song Lateralus by Tool matches the Fibonacci Sequence

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The world's most isolated tree is in New Zealand
    Used to be in the Saraha.

Of course that may have been a different tree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Overheal wrote: »
    SEGA GENESIS ALADDIN LEVEL
    July 4, 1993.
    Haven't thought of this in 20+ years, but sonic was up, down, left, right, a+start for level select..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Wibbs wrote: »
    The duck billed platypus is the only mammal with a poisonous sting. Apparently though rarely fatal the pain is among the worst one could suffer.
    It's not so much that it's the worst pain.

It's not even that the pain lasts months.

It's that morphine and similar painkillers have no effect because of the the platypus venom attacks further down the pain pathway.

Other painkillers that act in that area are somewhat effective , and shrews are also venemous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Can remember opening my Henry Hippo account and lodging £1 punt to it in Ulster Bank Dundrum back in the early 80's... I really need to go back and claim that money back as I'm sure it might be worth at least €2 now.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Supercell wrote: »
    The odds of life on earth starting by random chance rather than by alien design are about 1 in ten trillion.
    Makes you think eh ?

"404 Error File Not Found"

Right now it's that rats are really good at swimming and holding their breath under water and they can in fact climb up toilets.

I really shouldnt have read that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Central African Republic
    Sao Tome and Principal
    Spencer Percival
    Henry IV Part 2

All normally pointless answers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

When he blesses the chalice, when he holds up the bread, when he drinks out of the chalice and when he eats the bread - How I remembered the bells as an alter server.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Can remember opening my Henry Hippo account and lodging £1 punt to it in Ulster Bank Dundrum back in the early 80's... I really need to go back and claim that money back as I'm sure it might be worth at least €2 now.

You really should......every account holder a few years back got a bit of a lump sum when the accounts merged with Ulster Bank.
    That was pointless info I knew until now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Haven't thought of this in 20+ years, but sonic was up, down, left, right, a+start for level select..

And here's another one you'll probably remember -

DULLARD - The Mortal Kombat Cheat Kode :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Street fighter 2 turbo, down R up L y b
    On the snes gives you 10 speed levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

If you eat 27 bananas one after the other you will die from a potassium overdose.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

If you eat 27 bananas one after the other you will die from a potassium overdose.

Im just eaten two in a row because they're supposed to be the best fruit before bed.

Id best leave it at that so!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭FallSilently

Back in 1994, my 1st year Friday timetable was French, Maths, P.E, Irish, English, Science, Geography, German.

I can also recite the full Premiership team list aphabetically for, I think the 94/95 season? Arsenal, Aston Villa, Blackburn, Chelsea, Coventry, Crystal Palace, Everton, Ipswich, Leeds, Liescter, Liverpool etc etc etc.

My brain must've been unusually receptive back then.

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Im just eaten two in a row because they're supposed to be the best fruit before bed.

Id best leave it at that so!

Yeah man, you're only 25 bananas off a suicide

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Plenty of Sega Megadrive and Master System cheat codes. :cool:

Ruu wrote: »
    Plenty of Sega Megadrive and Master System cheat codes. :cool:

Are cheats in games a thing of the past?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭CFlat

Yeah man, you're only 25 bananas off a suicide

Bananacide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Hangdadj was a code for the original GTA, don't have a clue what it did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Used to be in the Saraha.

Of course that may have been a different tree.

Was that the tree that some drunkard somehow crashed into and destroyed?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

So, when I was about five or six - forty-odd years ago - my granddad leans over to me one lunchtime and says, in a very serious voice, "If anybody ever asks me what the longest river in China is, to say that it's the 'Yangtze Kiang'". "The What?" "It's the 'Yangtze Kiang', Robin. And don't you ever forget that!"

Cue about seven or eight years later and I'm in second or third year in secondary school and I'm away with the rest of my class on a social with a boarding school (let's call it R) some distance away from my own (let's call it G). We'd been warned by the class ahead of us that the quizmaster from the other school would hand his own kids easy q's and us the tough ones. So the quiz goes ahead, we're doing well being two points ahead after some hopelessly one-sided questions from the R quizmaster. Then this:

Quizmaster to his own pupils: What do the letters VAT stand for?
    Guy on other team: "Value Added Tax", Sir!
    Quizmaster: Correct! One point!
    Quizmaster to guy on our team with strong Dub accent: What color is a Friesan Cow?
    Guy on G's team with strong Dub accent: Uh, green?
    <cue loud laughter from everybody, including our side; poor guy goes the color of a tomato>
    Quizmaster: Wrong - no points!
    Quizmaster to his own: What is the currency of England?
    Guy on other team: "Pound Sterling", Sir!
    Quizmaster: Correct! One point!
    Quizmaster: Ok, last question, equal scores to both teams. If G get this question wrong, it's sudden death. G, are you ready?
    Me (squeaky voice): Yes.
    Quizmaster: What is the name of the longest river in China?
    Me (not squeaky voice): It's the Yangtze Kiang. Sir.
    Quizmaster (after a pause): Uh, yes, G. The "Yangtze" will do fine. G win.

BTW, wiki tells me that Yangtze Kiang went out of fashion in 1979 *sigh* granddad might be disappointed if he were still around. Or maybe he wouldn't be :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Hymns from signing in the school choir.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I once won a game of Trivial Pursuit with the answer to the question of "what would inhabitants of the Moon be named". Oh and the game was being played in Spanish. A language I don't even speak(and I was pretty fcuked up at the time. New years party an all). That's how much pure shíte info I have knocking around in my bonce.

Selenitas was the answer(Selenites as Bearla). Selene being the moon goddess of the Greeks.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Eh, surely they'd be called Mooneys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Uncle Phil from the Fresh Prince (James Avery RIP) was the voice of Shredder from the TMNT cartoons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

I reckon I could name about 90% of US state capitals off the top of my head.

I can do the lot and bizarrely have been able to since I was about 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭Melisandre121

I know that Courtney Cox was originally supposed to play Rachel in Friends but she preferred Monica's stronger character and asked if she could take on that role instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

The tapered ends of a shoelace are called aglets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Cows have best friends and get visibly distressed when away from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

If you run in the rain you'll get wetter than if you walked

Was that the tree that some drunkard somehow crashed into and destroyed?
    French wasn't he ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

French wasn't he ?
    Wikipedia says Libyan, either way it's brilliant. Only object around for 200 miles in any given direction, and he goes straight into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Cienciano wrote: »
    Central African Republic
    Sao Tome and Principal
    Spencer Percival
    Henry IV Part 2

All normally pointless answers

Well done to anyone who home who got that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭OneOfThem

Dolphins have individual names for each other in thier wierd click click squeak language that they have. They give these names to themselves. Like humans they can't talk when they are born, but when they start putting 'words' together, the first "bleep click click click clack' sound they string together is remembered by the other dolphins and becomes what they are called with and greeted with etc, their own little individual dolphin name.

They are also pricks to porpoises, and carry out what pretty much amount to racist beatings on them, for fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

If you run in the rain you'll get wetter than if you walked

Depends on the direction of the rain.If the rain is going in the same direction as you, running is a good option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭whatsername42

The names of the 12 apostles.
    Peter, Andrew, James, john, Philip, bartholemew, Matthew, Simon, James the less and his brother Jude, Thomas and judas Iscariot. Yay!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

The full lyrics to o-zones song dragonsta din tei from 2004

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4xc3dXDE5I

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Balck and white are not colours. White is the presence of all colours and black is the absence of any colour.
    In the visible spectrum, white reflects light and is a presence of all colors, but black absorbs light and is an absence of color. Black can be defined as the visual impression experienced when no visible light reaches the eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭Eph1958

Eleven plus two is an anagram of twelve plus one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement