Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canon Eos M3 Camera?

• 01-09-2015 8:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I haven't posted here in a while as I've just been hectic with other stuff.

So I've had my 5D MK II for a few years now and to be honest, it really isn't getting the use it should be. I have the 24-70 L lens on it and although I find the combination amazing for shot quality, it sometimes feels like a chore to lug them around on holidays etc. I use the camera mainly for social stuff like birthdays and on holidays etc. It's not used in a professional manner basically. I'd like something that still gives me the flexibility to change shutter speeds and aperture and not just be a normal point and shoot.

I have probably used the camera twice in the last two years and I think the main issue is always with the weight of carrying something so heavy. I regularly turn to my phone which can produce 'ok' images which are sufficient.

With this in mind, I'm leaning towards selling the 5D MK II and getting myself something along the lines of a Canon EOS M3. From the reviews I've read online, they seem to be a mixed bag but I do like that I could potentially use my 24-70 and 70-200 lenses on the body. I'd be planning on keeping these and maybe picking up another body later on.

I like the compactness of the M3 and also how I'd be able to throw it in my bag for short trips, it's convenient I guess. The wireless capabilities of syncing photos to my phone there and then are also really helpful in my eyes.

So I guess my question is, is the M3 my best option? Can anyone shed some light on alternatives that they own/have used that I could look at? I don't mind hanging onto the 24-70 and the 70-200 as they are fantastic lenses so even if I buy a different camera now where the lenses are not compatible, I won't mind.

Thanks in advance,

O

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 557 ✭✭✭puddles22

what makes you think by having the m3 that you will get more use out of it than your 5d mkii?
    the weight of those two lens arent going to make that much of a difference by using a eos m3, i have the eos m3 and the 5dmkiii but i use the 11-22efm with the eos m3 and then i find a huge weight difference , in fact you can almost put it in your pocket with that combination, i find its great with landscape and just ok with people , but i always find myself going back to the 5dmkiii when i want pro shots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

How much weight are you actually going to save by swapping the 5D MK2 for the M3 but still keeping the 24-70 and 70-200. I would have thought that lens of that size would be rather unwieldy on a body the size of the M3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

Thank you for the replies.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I am keeping the 24-70 ad 70-200 lenses for if I need to get better shots and maybe, in the future, if I want, I can purchase another full frame camera if I wanted to to use the 24-70 and 70-200 lenses. I'd more than likely use the smaller lenses with the EOS M as they are much more versatile. I also think that using the 24-70 or even the 70-200 with the EOS M would look a bit silly

How do you find the EOS M? I've been reading reviews and the Fuji T1X looks pretty decent, it's out of my price range a bit which may make me sell the lenses as well which I'm considering doing now as realistically, I'm probably not going to use them much. Anything else worth considering?

Also, I think I'd get more use out of the M3 as I'd be more likely to bring it with me on trips. I have in the past, left the camera at home as it's been a bit too much to carry with the rest of my luggage and sometimes I've ended up regretting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

I have the Eos M, would want an evf and am looking towards the new 100D if and when it comes out. You simply are shooting in the wind without an evf.
    M is a nice size format

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭jbv

I have the EOSM and upgraded to EOSM3. The viewfinder option is great. Auto focus much better especially in low light. No need for an extra grip. Great for all day use. However it wont beat my full frame 6D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

The more I research online and the more I read, I'm starting to lean away from the EOS M3 and thinking about the Fuji XT1

Seems like the reviews are great for it, the size is what wins it for me as well as some of the sample shots I've seen, sure they won't be as good as some of the high end DSLR's but I am not a professional and don't need that level.

The Fuji is expensive though so I'm hoping to pop into one of the shops to take a look later this week, just to get a feel for it.

Plus, it probably doesn't make sense for me to hold onto the lenses either so I've decided to sell them.

If by chance anyone is interested, they are here on adverts, my 5DMK II, 24-70MM and 70-200MM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭CJmasgrande

OREGATO wrote: »
    The more I research online and the more I read, I'm starting to lean away from the EOS M3 and thinking about the Fuji XT1

Seems like the reviews are great for it, the size is what wins it for me as well as some of the sample shots I've seen, sure they won't be as good as some of the high end DSLR's but I am not a professional and don't need that level.

The Fuji is expensive though so I'm hoping to pop into one of the shops to take a look later this week, just to get a feel for it.

Plus, it probably doesn't make sense for me to hold onto the lenses either so I've decided to sell them.

If by chance anyone is interested, they are here on adverts, my 5DMK II, 24-70MM and 70-200MM

A lot of experts over on dpreview.com reckon the m3 price will be slashed shortly as it's not selling same as the older versions so it might be wise to wait a couple of months and get a bargain.

I think Canon gear always sells 2nd easier than other brands like Fuji.

Advertisement