Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

modular housing for the homeless

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/modular-houses-may-be-built-for-homeless-families-1.2335508

what struck me about this is the cost 100000 /150000 thats seems expensive to me for houses that are not of traditional cconstruction

So, a very expensive, temporary solution to a problem thats not going away. I'll be annoyed if this goes ahead. So, 25Million to build 250 of these units? You could buy a couple of hotels for that, and kit them out so they are suitable for their new residents, and staff them and have change. They don't need to be the Ritz, they just need to be warm, dry and secure.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

syklops wrote: »
    You could buy a couple of hotels for that, and kit them out so they are suitable for their new residents, and staff them and have change.

But hotels are never suitable for long term family residence: people don't have their own kitchen or laundry facilities, and you're placing children in close proximity to other people who haven't been garda vetted. And in many cases, it's very difficult to configure the rooms so that families get their own living space separate from the sleeping space.

I'm wondering what the difference between these temporary units and permanent units would be. Obviously it'd be a different type of tenancy agreement - some sort of license to occupy, not a regular council tenancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

It seems strange to me that so much is being invested when according to reports there are 289,451 empty house spread throughout Ireland. Why not invest the money in getting these houses liveable instead of building these temporary types of accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

100-150k?! I assume that is the price for the end product i.e a walk in home with electric and plumbing etc and not just the cost of the shell? Why not buy second hand mobile homes? that could be a cheap, temporary solution...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

There are currently 304 residential properties listed in dublin alone for a max of 150k. The council would be better off just buying these.

P.s.
    On Daft

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

syklops wrote: »
    So, a very expensive, temporary solution to a problem thats not going away. I'll be annoyed if this goes ahead. So, 25Million to build 250 of these units? You could buy a couple of hotels for that, and kit them out so they are suitable for their new residents, and staff them and have change. They don't need to be the Ritz, they just need to be warm, dry and secure.

The report doesn't say what company is building the test houses or what public representatives or their cronies are heavily involved in that company.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

if they are indeed temporary, I wonder what price they could be sold off for, when they are no longer needed?

As has been mentioned by FoggyLad, no doubt there will be a dubious tender process, they will be bought for 150k each and bought back again a year or two later by the same company for 15k! Angela Kerins and her husband may be interested in this, they know all about constructing and supplying overpriced wooden boxes!

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/rehabs-dead-money-after-oak-coffins-sold-for-40-each-30075762.html

here is an example of a mobile home for E1300, that is good to go...

https://www.donedeal.co.uk/mobilehomes-for-sale/mobile-homes/9863347

To be honest, maybe they should start setting us massive developments of these on dublins outskirts, with the extortionate rents, Id be interested, get your own place for E500 or so per month and you can save a fortune to buy a house or just live, whatever...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Idbatterim wrote: »
    if they are indeed temporary, I wonder what price they could be sold off for, when they are no longer needed?

As has been mentioned by FoggyLad, no doubt there will be a dubious tender process, they will be bought for 150k each and bought back again a year or two later by the same company for 15k! Angela Kerins and her husband may be interested in this, they know all about constructing and supplying overpriced wooden boxes!

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/rehabs-dead-money-after-oak-coffins-sold-for-40-each-30075762.html
    I would think very little because people do not look after housing they get from the government/council, the usual thing is they just badger the council till they replace or repair something the tenant broke through stupidity or their sense of entitlement.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Central government granted the LA's an extra €50m+ to make liveable again 952 vacant LA propperties last year.

This alone would all but cover the 3.5k homeless people (who the government already spend €15k each per annum accommodating).

LA's just need to get on with it.
    Looking at the numerous boarded up council houses in my town..... they aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

well in fairness...for 300 units @1500 a month over 5 years the cost would be 27m. At least in 5 years they would still have these units to use again.

Again assuming the cost means the units are ready to go, then I think its a reasonable (but not optimal) short term solution.

buying 2nd hand houses off the market for less than 150K would involve (most likely) some money to be spent on refurbishment, and again probably take more time than this solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

jester77 wrote: »
    It seems strange to me that so much is being invested when according to reports there are 289,451 empty house spread throughout Ireland. Why not invest the money in getting these houses liveable instead of building these temporary types of accommodation.
    Because many of them are not near any facilities, schools, shops, etc, not near public transport, and no footpaths outside of the estates. Oh, and the sewage systems are probably not operational any more.

Added to this, certain... people... are stealing the copper from the estates where no-one lives.

=-=

I wonder how would the "ground to ceiling" glass walls work in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

the_syco wrote: »
    I wonder how would the "ground to ceiling" glass walls work in Ireland?

Probably much the same way that they work in other countries! Actually, they're less of an issue here, due to no earthquakes.

Of course they do point out one of the reasons that such housing may cost a bit: in standard social housing no flooring or window covering is provided. But I guess it will have to be in these units - it's not reasonable to expect short-term tenants to kit the place out.

Advertisement