Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi not giving change

Options
  • 01-09-2015 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭flower tattoo

So was in Aldi earlier and the man in front of me spent €5.99. Cashier told him she had no 1 cent was that okay - he said fine, my shop my was €1.88 - gave €2, she said she had no 2 cent either.
    I thought maybe her float was low but she she said they weren't holding 1 & 2 cents any more as they were going to be discontinued
    I told her I wasn't happy that they were just keeping our money so she gave me back 5 cent in change
    Obviously it's not about the cents but can they just decide they're not giving change??
    Would they be happy if I gave €1.85 for my shopping??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

So was in Aldi earlier and the man in front of me spent €5.99. Cashier told him she had no 1 cent was that okay - he said fine, my shop my was €1.88 - gave €2, she said she had no 2 cent either.
    I thought maybe her float was low but she she said they weren't holding 1 & 2 cents any more as they were going to be discontinued
    I told her I wasn't happy that they were just keeping our money so she gave me back 5 cent in change
    Obviously it's not about the cents but can they just decide they're not giving change??

When the 1 and 2 cents are gone the price of your items will be rounded up or down to the nearest 5c. So €5.99 will be €6 and €1.88 will be €1.90. Though €1.87 would be €1.85 as it would be rounded down.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,036 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Rounding to the nearest 5c is being introduced nationwide by the Central Bank in late October. You're not the first person to mention this happening in Aldi though, so they may have unilaterally introduced it early.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Legally they are not obliged to give you change at all - even if you purchased a €2 item and offered a €50 note - it would be bad business practice, but not ilegal.

Thanfully those pesky 1c and 2c are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

delahuntv wrote: »
    Legally they are not obliged to give you change at all - even if you purchased a €2 item and offered a €50 note - it would be bad business practice, but not ilegal.

Not obliged to give you change? What's the legal basis for this idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Lux23 wrote: »
    Not obliged to give you change? What's the legal basis for this idea?

The basis is offer/acceptance in contract law.

A good long discussion here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056334760

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I lived in the Netherlands for a year, where the 5c rounding (no small change) in supermarkets is standard. Took me a few goes to remember though as I was conditioned to give exact change to the till person. Basically, the total amount is calculated correctly, i.e. €34.57 but the till operator will treat is as €34.55 and give change accordingly. I assume that it all works out on average.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

About a month ago my shop came to something like 55.02. Tendered 60 and received 5 euro back.
    Last week i was short changed 2 cents.
    Not worth losing sleep over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Paulw wrote: »
    The basis is offer/acceptance in contract law.

A good long discussion here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056334760

Ok, so you just refuse to hand over the money if they are not going to provide the change and they lose the business. Kind of a silly commercial practice.

Lux23 wrote: »
    Ok, so you just refuse to hand over the money if they are not going to provide the change and they lose the business. Kind of a silly commercial practice.

Nowhere actually does it (intentionally, anyway); its just important to remember when someone flies off the handle about it being illegal as they do on here from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

I noticed the same in ALDI today. He was due to give me 7 cent back, said he had no 2 cent & gave me back 5 cent. If the 1 & 2 cent coins are still in circulation its very greedy for ALDI to be acting like this!!

• Advertisement

hillbloom wrote: »
    I noticed the same in ALDI today. He was due to give me 7 cent back, said he had no 2 cent & gave me back 5 cent. If the 1 & 2 cent coins are still in circulation its very greedy for ALDI to be acting like this!!

if you read my post above you will see it works the other way too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

Funny enough, same thing happen to me in Aldi last Saturday. Seems like it may be a new policy to hold no 1 and 2 cents. Should have said, I'll accept a 5 cent instead.

I might hand them a few bags of 1 cent and 2 cent coins when I go shopping next time to help them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

When are the banks going to stop taking them?
    I have quite a lot in the piggy bank

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Shops rounding down prices, that'll be the day, it be up up up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Such a nonsense post.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Nichard Dixon

Whatever about the legal obligation to give change it is astonishing that people tolerate ALDI keeping their money in this way. If people start leaving items back, preferably frozen ones, they'll soon stop <SNIP> people of their change.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

NoQuarter wrote: »
    Such a nonsense post.
    Mod: Constructive posts only please.
    Whatever about the legal obligation to give change it is astonishing that people tolerate ALDI keeping their money in this way. If people start leaving items back, preferably frozen ones, they'll soon stop <SNIP> people of their change.
    Read the opening post again. Customers are being asked if it's ok not to give small change (1 cents & 2 cents). The OP said no and was given back more than he/she was due. There is no suggestion Aldi are doing anything wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Nichard Dixon

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Read the opening post again. Customers are being asked if it's ok not to give small change (1 cents & 2 cents). The OP said no and was given back more than he/she was due. There is no suggestion Aldi are doing anything wrong.

My mistake. Apologies.

No more 1c or 2c coins? My spare change jar is going to take a (rather small) hit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

My mistake. Apologies.

But what happened to me personally and the customer in front of me on Saturday was that she just handed a receipt back and said "I've no 1 cent or 2 cent coins." and precoeeded to scan the next customer's items.

I got the impression, that the poilicy was not to offer unless the customer argued, and lets face it who is going to stand arguing about 2 cent, maybe 1 in a 100.

So they are in my experiencing using the situation to gain more than they are giving back.

Maybe they will re-price every product that is xx.99 to xx.95 to overcome not holding 1 & 2 cent coins.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Howjoe1 wrote: »
    Maybe they will re-price every product that is xx.99 to xx.95 to overcome not holding 1 & 2 cent coins.

This is Ireland, nothing will ever come down in price. Mark my words this is an awfully bad mistake, customers will be taken for a ride with this.

Shops will use this as an excuse to confuse the crap out of customers while changing every SEL in there shops to match the 'new' rounded figures.

I imagine that something that was 93c will soon be marked 1:10€ as everything will be changed you 'might' not notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

TallGlass wrote: »
    This is Ireland, nothing will ever come down in price. Mark my words this is an awfully bad mistake, customers will be taken for a ride with this.

Shops will use this as an excuse to confuse the crap out of customers while changing every SEL in there shops to match the 'new' rounded figures.

I imagine that something that was 93c will soon be marked 1:10€ as everything will be changed you 'might' not notice.

That's bunkum. It's the total shop that will be rounded, not individual items. At worst lose 2cent on a total purchase at best gain 2 cent. Swings and roundabouts.

Why on earth would 93 cent go to €1.10?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,541 ✭✭✭✭Varik

That's bunkum. It's the total shop that will be rounded, not individual items. At worst lose 2cent on a total purchase at best gain 2 cent. Swings and roundabouts.

The same reason things thatwere £1 went to €2 when we changed to the euro.

And it'll be per item, not rounded at the till.

Varik wrote: »

Which items went from 1 pound to 2 euro?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Varik wrote: »

Exaggeration never helps an argument. Nothing went from £1 to €2.

To reiterate - this is becoming standard in 8 weeks time. Everywhere. 1 and 2c coins will no longer be minted by the central bank, be distributed by banks, etc.

http://www.centralbank.ie/press-area/press-releases/Pages/CentralBankannouncesrolloutofroundingof1cand2ccoinsnationally.aspx
    NoQuarter wrote: »
    Such a nonsense post.

Its entirely accurate. I suggest you do some research before accusing people like that.

They don't need to - and they won't.

Items are still priced in random amount ends, and a lot of .x9 amounts at that, in the Netherlands, Sweden, Denmark, etc - where this rounding at the till has been the case for years. The Danes don't have anything less than a 50 ore coin and there's still items costing 21.32 or similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

But what happened to me personally and the customer in front of me on Saturday was that she just handed a receipt back and said "I've no 1 cent or 2 cent coins." and precoeeded to scan the next customer's items.

I got the impression, that the poilicy was not to offer unless the customer argued, and lets face it who is going to stand arguing about 2 cent, maybe 1 in a 100.

So they are in my experiencing using the situation to gain more than they are giving back.

So he/she owed you what 7 cent and gave you a 5 instead but you were still owed 2. So why didnt you offer to give them 3 cents so they could give you 5 and you'd be quids in?

Its also amazing how many people pay in cash in Aldi. If I make the effort to go there it'll be a 30 euro + shop so I just pay by card.

syklops wrote: »
    Its also amazing how many people pay in cash in Aldi. If I make the effort to go there it'll be a 30 euro + shop so I just pay by card.

Lots of people still think they don't take credit cards (they have for years). I may be misremembering but I think they didn't take plastic at all in the first few shops? The card reader glowing in front of you should be a good enough indication now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,541 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Exaggeration never helps an argument. Nothing went from £1 to €2.

For one 500ml bottle, cans, and a lot of sweets.

I was a child at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

If you don't mind me asking what experience do you have in retail? I have over 8 years experience in one of Ireland biggest retailers. This is a perfect opportunity for a price rise.

The reason it will jump to €1.10 is because if every price in the shop is changed then chances are people won't notice and will be already stunned trying to figure out how its going to work without 1 and 2c, then in a few weeks the shop will be have 'price cuts' left right and center.

If its such a big problem for retailers they can easily make sure there prices are automatically rounded per SEL.

And if you and the people that thanked your post think I am joking have a look at the thread on boards about the outrageous price hikes if you don't think products jump that much on a regular basis. They may not hike everything up as much, but you would be very naive to think that they will drop prices here, a retailer is not going to take something on board that is going to cost them money, the customer will lose out on this. Be it a cent or two.

Advertisement