Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi not giving change

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

wardides wrote: »
    How has this thread got to 18 pages? Insane.

And you just dragged it to 19.

This shows the innate resistance and objection to any change in this country. People look for potential faults immediately.

It's a max of 2 cent on a transaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

This shows the innate resistance and objection to any change in this country.

or in this case, people's innate love of hanging on to change ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Dodge wrote: »
    or in this case, people's innate love of hanging on to change ;)

Do you think anybody values, let alone loves, having a pocket full of coppers after a trip to town?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,465 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Do you think anybody values, let alone loves, having a pocket full of coppers after a trip to town?

well i do love cashing in the big tin of spare change i have and getting at least €100 of 'free' money. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭TOMs WIFE

delahuntv wrote: »
    if the retailer was pedantic and following rules to the absolute letter in their favour and you wanted to be sure of change, you would then make an offer saying that you will offer €10 in exchange foir the goods and €1 returned.
    Hence it is "reasonable" to expect change in the above transaction due to the norms of society, but it is not illegal not to give the change - however such a store would not last long.

This is interesting. It appears clear that there is no legislation stating that you are entitled to get change from a transaction.

But - if I purchase an item for €9 and give the retailer €10, and they refuse (legally as people are saying here) to provide me with €1 change, what would happen if I brought them to court? Would a court find that they owed me €1 because the contract clearly intended that I only paid €9?
    And if a court found that the shop had to pay me €1 change, then would that make it illegal not to give change?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I forgot about this thread! In that case if they accepted the €10 and you took the goods away you would probably have just bought them for €10. You could have refused to complete the transaction, so I don't know what you would be during over exactly. Unless they refused to give you back your €10 and you didn't take the goods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

TOMs WIFE wrote: »
    This is interesting. It appears clear that there is no legislation stating that you are entitled to get change from a transaction.

But - if I purchase an item for €9 and give the retailer €10, and they refuse (legally as people are saying here) to provide me with €1 change, what would happen if I brought them to court? Would a court find that they owed me €1 because the contract clearly intended that I only paid €9?
    And if a court found that the shop had to pay me €1 change, then would that make it illegal not to give change?

Thanks.

Surely you'd have to show what law they broke. As per that post, no retailer would survive such a policy, therefore its purely theoretical. But theoretically speaking to take a court case you need to show where the error was in a legal sense.

Advertisement