Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi not giving change

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Howjoe1 wrote: »
    Funny enough, same thing happen to me in Aldi last Saturday. Seems like it may be a new policy to hold no 1 and 2 cents. Should have said, I'll accept a 5 cent instead.

I might hand them a few bags of 1 cent and 2 cent coins when I go shopping next time to help them out.

Nope

Economic and Monetary Union Act, 1998:
    10(1) No person, other than the Central Bank of Ireland and such persons as may be designated by the Minister by order, shall be obliged to accept more than 50 coins denominated in euro or in cent in any single transaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭doublej

Rounding won't be Mandatory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

doublej wrote: »
    Rounding won't be Mandatory

There many things that are not mandatory in life - but "the norm" will in most cases apply.

In Wexford where the original rounding was tested and was very successful, many stores rounded down to the nearest 5c in all cases.

Also, it only applies to cash payments. Payment by card will be as per the exact figure.

http://www.centralbank.ie/press-area/press-releases/Pages/CentralBankannouncesrolloutofroundingof1cand2ccoinsnationally.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 69,038 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Depending how fast stocks of the small coins last, it'll become required even if not mandatory very quickly. No retailer is going to go to huge efforts to keep them in stock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    It's not amazing at all.
    If like me, you have a debit card, you make one cash withdrawal a week and pay by cash. One bank charge only. Every card payment incurs extra charges.

Time to change banks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

syklops wrote: »
    Time to change banks.

You may be right. It doesn’t alter the fact though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Varik wrote: »
    The same reason things thatwere £1 went to €2 when we changed to the euro.
    had to remove my "thanks" on that post, I presumed it was sarcastic.

I remember loads of shops changing to the exact currency change. Loads of items were €1.27. A few years ago in a shop in Talbot street I saw they were still charging in these prices, €1.27 and €6.35.

NoQuarter wrote: »
    But I was not wrong at all. I'm sorry you can't understand my point.
    you were most certainly wrong, and I really doubt you are sorry about anything besides getting it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I have actually looked into this and this notion that there is no legal basis to giving change isn't quite true. Basically retailers are compelled by law to display the correct price for each of the goods they sell, if the sign says €1.98 and you pay €2.00 and they refuse to give the two cent change, they are breaching the consumer legislation on price display.

So report any retailer doing this to the CCPC, if they don't wish to handle 1c and 2c pieces any more they should adjust their pricing accordingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I was talking to my local petrol station's owner today and he was saying that the petrol station owners are going to fight this to the bitter end. Their worried that chancer's will put €x.02 in the car and they'll have to round down. He reckons at the moment he loses about €20-30 per week from people going over a few cent and not paying it.

I'm taking his word on that figure.

But surely he could recoup it by not handing out 1 or 2c pieces in change. I don't have a problem with this practice, but you need to inform the customer of it before they get to the till. If Aldi are already implementing without putting posters up they are in breach of price display legislation.

• Advertisement

ken wrote: »
    Their worried that chancer's will put €x.02 in the car and they'll have to round down. He reckons at the moment he loses about €20-30 per week from people going over a few cent and not paying it.
    Sounds like he is doing a roaring trade. If say 20% of people are doing this then €30 per week equates to 7500 customers per week. Not sure if that is average for a petrol station.

If they are paying by card he would get his 2cent, and probably lose a lot more due to card fees. I would be welcoming cash paying customers who want to "scam" a whole 2 cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

rubadub wrote: »
    had to remove my "thanks" on that post, I presumed it was sarcastic.

I remember loads of shops changing to the exact currency change. Loads of items were €1.27. A few years ago in a shop in Talbot street I saw they were still charging in these prices, €1.27 and €6.35.

you were most certainly wrong, and I really doubt you are sorry about anything besides getting it wrong.

When we changed over we were very conscious of any bad perception in relation to price increases, the epos system automatically changed all the prices and we changed all the shelf edge labels, In fact if anything we decreased the prices as in cases where the new price was say €6.01 we rounded down to €5.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,038 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Lux23 wrote: »
    I have actually looked into this and this notion that there is no legal basis to giving change isn't quite true. Basically retailers are compelled by law to display the correct price for each of the goods they sell, if the sign says €1.98 and you pay €2.00 and they refuse to give the two cent change, they are breaching the consumer legislation on price display.

So report any retailer doing this to the CCPC, if they don't wish to handle 1c and 2c pieces any more they should adjust their pricing accordingly.

Legislation, please.

Display of prices is completely unrelated to change and comes under offer to treat anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Lux23 wrote: »
    If Aldi are already implementing without putting posters up they are in breach of price display legislation.

Please explain more as your post makes no sense whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Am I the only one not particularly worried about 1c or 2c? All that happens them is they get dumped in a small container on my desk and stay there for ever more - maybe once every few months I'll chuck them in a coin counter and end up with a euro or two. Not having to look at or deal with 1c or 2c coins is worth this pretty tiny cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭doublej

Sounds like he is doing a roaring trade. If say 20% of people are doing this then €30 per week equates to 7500 customers per week. Not sure if that is average for a petrol station.

If they are paying by card he would get his 2cent, and probably lose a lot more due to card fees. I would be welcoming cash paying customers who want to "scam" a whole 2 cent.

The petrol station owner is perfectly entitled to collect the 1c-2c if the driver has taken, say, €10.02. The amount owed is €10.02 and he can ask for this amount, especially if he thinks that the driver has overshot the exact amount deliberately.
    Unless you are in business, you can't understand the annoyance felt by retailers against these petty thieves.
    When was the last time you saw a driver stopping at 9.98/9.99?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I was talking to my local petrol station's owner today and he was saying that the petrol station owners are going to fight this to the bitter end. Their worried that chancer's will put €x.02 in the car and they'll have to round down. He reckons at the moment he loses about €20-30 per week from people going over a few cent and not paying it.

I'm taking his word on that figure.

I'd say he's probably overthinking it. It's hard enough to get the pump to stop at .00, now he's thinking people will make effort to stop at .02. People will continue to overshot. Plus, anyone paying by card will still pay the precise amount.

Unless you are in business, you can't understand the annoyance felt by retailers against these petty thieves.
    It does not sound like these people are thieves to me. If they ran in, dumped a tenner and legged it then that's theft.
    at the moment he loses about €20-30 per week from people going over a few cent and not paying it.

It is really "he loses about €20-30 per week from people going over a few cent and not charging them for it."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

Aldi are working in a very competitive environment. If they are to round their prices up you will see them called out on it by one of the other chains and the cycle continues as it always has.

I'd honestly rather be charged a €1 than 98c. It makes life simple for everybody.

L1011 wrote: »
    Legislation, please.

Display of prices is completely unrelated to change and comes under offer to treat anyway.

Retailers are compelled to ensure that pricing is not misleading or inaccurate. If a trader is not going to give you 2c change for the goods that they claim cost €1.98, then the price on display is misleading. The CPA 2007 prohibits misleading or false indications of pricing.

• Advertisement

It does not sound like these people are thieves to me. If they ran in, dumped a tenner and legged it then that's theft.

It is really "he loses about €20-30 per week from people going over a few cent and not charging them for it."

Rubadub I owned a small Petrol station for years, its amazing how much the overages add up to in a year. Its not that you are not charging them its just that if some gets €20.03 and hands in a €20 note are you going to chase after them for 3c ? call the guards if they dont pay up ?

Its part of doing business, but its very annoying and very costly over time.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

^or the 5 cent, as the case may be..

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

Shelflife wrote: »
    Rubadub I owned a small Petrol station for years, its amazing how much the overages add up to in a year. Its not that you are not charging them its just that if some gets €20.03 and hands in a €20 note are you going to chase after them for 3c ? call the guards if they dont pay up ?

Its part of doing business, but its very annoying and very costly over time.

100% understand the frustration. However having worked in retail (within retailers themselves & suppliers) it really isn't the epidemic some are making it out to be.

For one, having worked in the retailer in question here for 3 years you will find if someone's shopping has come to €5.02 and that person went to hand me (majority of colleagues also included) two five euro notes, or had a fifty euro note & didn't have the 2c, there would be absolutely no hassle in just rounding the shopping to a euro. Now, this isn't store policy, but it evens up throughout the day with people not wanting their 2c change back if their shopping is €4.98. Of course if someone is due 2c change I would have always went to give them, but 7/10 times they would refuse. So if I didn't have the change I certainly wouldn't think anyone would make a fuss over 2c.

As for the petrol pump losing €20-€30 a week. Take an average of €25 quid a week, at 3c not paid per customer. Equals to about 120 customers a day doing this. Seems a bit exaggerated, especially when you consider the amount of people who would refuse 1/2c coins which I imagine would be at least 25% of people?

In short. It's 2c. We should all just throw a party the day they get rid of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭vandriver

The petrol station owner is perfectly entitled to collect the 1c-2c if the driver has taken, say, €10.02. The amount owed is €10.02 and he can ask for this amount, especially if he thinks that the driver has overshot the exact amount deliberately.
    When was the last time you saw a driver stopping at 9.98/9.99?
    I do quite often,as I do not wish to be one of those people.

wardides wrote: »
    100% understand the frustration. However having worked in retail (within retailers themselves & suppliers) it really isn't the epidemic some are making it out to be.

For one, having worked in the retailer in question here for 3 years you will find if someone's shopping has come to €5.02 and that person went to hand me (majority of colleagues also included) two five euro notes, or had a fifty euro note & didn't have the 2c, there would be absolutely no hassle in just rounding the shopping to a euro. Now, this isn't store policy, but it evens up throughout the day with people not wanting their 2c change back if their shopping is €4.98. Of course if someone is due 2c change I would have always went to give them, but 7/10 times they would refuse. So if I didn't have the change I certainly wouldn't think anyone would make a fuss over 2c.

As for the petrol pump losing €20-€30 a week. Take an average of €25 quid a week, at 3c not paid per customer. Equals to about 120 customers a day doing this. Seems a bit exaggerated, especially when you consider the amount of people who would refuse 1/2c coins which I imagine would be at least 25% of people?

In short. It's 2c. We should all just throw a party the day they get rid of them.

Pretty much 90% of the petrol filled will over shoot and not pay, most people take the 1c 2c change and put it in the charity box on the counter.

it doesnt take long to add over the day esp in a busy place.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

Fair enough, you'll know more about your business than I would.

I don't think it's generally that big a deal to be perfectly honest. Retail isn't perfect, and this is just another one of the flaws.

Never hear a retailer giving out about how much margin they make on certain products, so wouldn't be long making the €20 a week up there ;)

I paid 1.25 for a Twix the other day. A Twix!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭deni20000

On 2 occasions in ALDI Nenagh in the last week the shop had no small change but on both occasions I didn't have to pay the few cent so I don't think its a money making scam.

Shelflife wrote: »
    Its not that you are not charging them its just that if some gets €20.03 and hands in a €20 note are you going to chase after them for 3c ? call the guards if they dont pay up ?
    I would still say you are not charging them or you could call it letting them off the money. Call it whatever you want, just do not call them thieves, which the other poster was, that was my issue.

You could indeed chase after them or call the guards, so you could get it. I know I certainly would not as I expect doing so would dramatically effect the goodwill and repeat custom in the shop -so by allowing it to continue I expect I would profit far more. Chasing after them could prove far more costly, though hard to put a figure on.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

wardides wrote: »
    I paid 1.25 for a Twix the other day. A Twix!
    but don't you know there's a cocoa shortage going on...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Mick Murdock

My grandad ran an Esso station for many years. I worked there as a teenager and almost every petrol transaction went over the round figure. Sometimes as much as 8-10 cent and it was a 50/50 at best with the numbers who offered to pay. At one point a manager tried to introduce a policy of charging which my grandad was against because he saw it as the price of self service.

If losing cents per pump transaction is an issue the viability of your convenince business would have to be questioned.

Advertisement