Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi not giving change

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Why shouldn't they? Why price products at 99c and then deny the customer their change, leading to threads such as this?
    There's no need for it, the current proposal of round off the final bill is more equitable to both the consumer and retailer in the overall scheme of things. The consumer only loses a few cents on a single transaction, next time he could just as easily gain a few cents.
    Rounding individual prices will make it more expensive for the consumer all the time and won't help where items are sold by weight or volume.

The new scheme only applies to transactions paid by cash, if you pay electronically then the status quo stands and no one wins or loses.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Nichard Dixon

slimjimmc wrote: »
    There's no need for it, the current proposal of round off the final bill is more equitable to both the consumer and retailer in the overall scheme of things. The consumer only loses a few cents on a single transaction, next time he could just as easily gain a few cents.
    Rounding individual prices will make it more expensive for the consumer all the time and won't help where items are sold by weight or volume.

How exactly does rounding lead to the consumer losing all the time. Is this "Irish" rounding?
    The new scheme only applies to transactions paid by cash, if you pay electronically then the status quo stands and no one wins or loses.

I will pay electronically if rounded up and by cash when rounded down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

How exactly does rounding lead to the consumer losing all the time. Is this "Irish" rounding?

A. Many products have a .99 element. Rounding individual items would pull them up and the consumer loses on every item.

B. That's a ridiculous waste of effort to save or gain 2 cent on an entire shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,038 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Does your bank charge less than 2c per transaction?

L1011 wrote: »
    Does your bank charge less than 2c per transaction?

In fairness my bank charges nothing for card transactions in Euro. But, I don't use it for small purchases anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

Seriously? Do you add up each individual item in your trolley when doing your shopping? Because unless so, there's no chance you would even notice what way you're bill has been rounded.

I can't fathom that somebody's life has little else of importance that people are giving out about they're shopping going from €100.03 to €100.05. Especially when it can just as easily go from €100.02 down to €100 flat.

My head hurts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I can forsee a situation where something is €1.02 and the person is buying 2 of them and doing it as 2 transactions. First transaction €1.02 rounded down to €1 paid with a fiver. Second transaction €1.02 rounded down paid with a €2 coin from the change of the first. Saving €0.04. Sticking it to the man-priceless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

ken wrote: »
    I can forsee a situation where something is €1.02 and the person is buying 2 of them and doing it as 2 transactions. First transaction €1.02 rounded down to €1 paid with a fiver. Second transaction €1.02 rounded down paid with a €2 coin from the change of the first. Saving €0.04. Sticking it to the man-priceless.
    I,ve never seen anything costing 1.02 in Aldi. Have you?

This getting very silly!

• Advertisement

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    I,ve never seen anything costing 1.02 in Aldi. Have you?

This getting very silly!

I haven't either cause like someone said earlier in the thread I never go for one thing. Plus the €1.02 is just an example.

Oh sweet Lord. Do 2 transactions to save 4 cent? Let's get real here.

Oh sweet Lord. Do 2 transactions to save 4 cent? Let's get real here.

Do you not think their are people out there that will do it.

If there are then a) they are few and far between and b) they need to take a reality check.

If there are then a) they are few and far between and b) they need to take a reality check.

I agree with you fully but there are nutjobs out there that do the weirdest things.

Anyone who does clearly values their time at less than 4c per number of minutes.

Remember that one minute on the minimum wage pays 14c

The few clearly mental people who do this will not be statistically relevant to the overall issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

I haven't either cause like someone said earlier in the thread I never go for one thing. Plus the €1.02 is just an example.

Your argument falls apart because there aren,t any items costing x.02 cents.

I seriously do not believe that anybody is going to split up paying for multiple items to save a couple of cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Well they seem to be playing it both ways, the other day they gave me my change, they didn't say anything to me but it was 2 cent short, fine no big deal.

Then today, my shopping came to 28.62, the guy hands me my change and says 1.38 change, except it wasn't 1.38 change it was 1.36, in this case then shouldn't they have rounded my bill down to 28.60? so now I'm down another 2 cent, again no big deal but if they are bringing in this system it has to work fairly and not to their advantage all the time.

• Administrators Posts: 53,852 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If you don't like it pay by card. Problem solved.

Galadriel wrote: »
    Well they seem to be playing it both ways, the other day they gave me my change, they didn't say anything to me but it was 2 cent short, fine no big deal.

Then today, my shopping came to 28.62, the guy hands me my change and says 1.38 change, except it wasn't 1.38 change it was 1.36, in this case then shouldn't they have rounded my bill down to 28.60? so now I'm down another 2 cent, again no big deal but if they are bringing in this system it has to work fairly and not to their advantage all the time.
    Sounds like a simple error. If he was rounding off the bill due to a lack of 1 & 2 cent coins then why would he give you change containing 1 or 2 cent coins.

• Advertisement

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Sounds like a simple error. If he was rounding off the bill due to a lack of 1 & 2 cent coins then why would he give you change containing 1 or 2 cent coins.

Fair enough it could be an error, but if they are rolling out this system surely it has to be across the shop? earlier this week they didn't give me 2c as I assume they didn't have any or are no longer using them, today going by that same theory I should have been charged 28.60 and received 1.40 change, but in this case they did have 1c coins.

awec wrote: »
    If you don't like it pay by card. Problem solved.

I will from now on but I wouldn't have an issue with it if they were consistent with it.

Mod:
    @percy212: We want constructive posts, tarring everyone with the same brush is not constructive. Your post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

My aldi said the banks are not giving them these coins anymore wonder if that's true. Heard no announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

danjo-xx wrote: »
    My aldi said the banks are not giving them these coins anymore wonder if that's true.
    I have heard of banks charging more than the monetary value of coins before.

I remember in the 80s if you went to mcdonalds with £5 in small change you got a free burger, in superquinn you got donuts.

They could easily source these coins, simply get a zero commission coin counter in the store and people would come in droves to get rid of their change. They could even just print out store vouchers to the value so the money stays instore. The government could easily have these zero commission machines too, it must cost a hell of a lot more to mint new coins to replace hoarded ones.

Tesco have high commission coin counting machines, very expensive relative to what the machine costs. They deceptively give tesco vouchers too which many people were fooled into thinking was the full coin value -but there is no saving at all, they take the same commision whether you take cash or vouchers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Some of the moaning here about a few cent is laughable. Who actually cares if you get charge €50.03 or €50.05.

Do people have so little going in their life, or have no value for their time, that they freak out because there charged 2c more in some transactions, and 2c less in others.

Who actually cares if you get charge €50.03 or €5.05.

While I do obviously realise this was a typo - I suspect I might notice the €45 difference! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

L1011 wrote: »
    While I do obviously realise this was a typo - I suspect I might notice the €45 difference! :pac:

Haha, oops. That's changed now :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If I was that hard up for 2cent I would bother to pick up the ones I commonly see on the ground, which would be faster than doing this 2 transaction idea.

Advertisement