Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi not giving change

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

rubadub wrote: »
    If I was that hard up for 2cent I would bother to pick up the ones I commonly see on the ground, which would be faster than doing this 2 transaction idea.

Or perhaps on transaction with your Debit card.

I can't believe this thread is still rumbling on!

EDIT having said that they wont be lying around anymore! :pac:

JAYSUS!!! The rip off merchants! This is all a conspiracy by the owner of wishing wells!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

rubadub wrote: »
    If I was that hard up for 2cent I would bother to pick up the ones I commonly see on the ground, which would be faster than doing this 2 transaction idea.

I found 10 cents on ground yesterday. Thats my next 5 Aldi shops sorted :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,038 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Spar near my office has signs up saying they've no 1c coins and their bank doesn't think they're going to have any stock of them again

They're giving .6/.8 amounts in change with multiple 2c coins so its only .1/.9 they're rounding in change currently. I didn't ask are they allowing people to round what they pay them though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

I mentioned a centra in the thread early. Thankfully they appear to be applying the rounding consistently my basket of two items came to to 2.36 and I received back I 2.65 in changed, lack of communication as always is an issue in case like this. There is no notification in the shop that they are rounding ahead of it becoming national practice, so consumer are left confused and guessing. A few simple posters would allay consumers suspicions, instead the shop is simply trying to save themselves a few quid buying in 1 and 2 cent coins from the banks(opinion).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Company i work for have no idea about the rounding...

I asked my regional sales manager about it last week, asking about a few technically things on our system about rounding and he looked at me like i was crazy. Told him about the rounding coming in, and he didn't believe me, this is a company with 55 stores in the republic of ireland with annual sales of about 35€ million...:eek:

It definitely hasn't been publicised well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

L1011 wrote: »
    It definitely hasn't been publicised well.

It was announced in June ?

So don't say it wasn't publicised well. It was all ever the media, it was on the news, and it was on facebook from the newspapers pages. You would want to not read the news, not watch the news, or not listen to the radio to be unaware of it.

So don't say it wasn't publicised well. It was all ever the media, it was on the news, and it was on facebook from the newspapers pages. You would want to not read the news, not watch the news, or not listen to the radio to be unaware of it.

No, that was the Government saying we were going to do it

There has been zero publicity of the fact that a solid date (October 28th) has been set.

Just look at the wailing on this thread to show that the general public, and a lot of shop staff, haven't got a clue about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

That all refers to a recommendation to phase them out and gives no date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

Its must be a bit embarrassing for the checkout operators. They just say I dont have any 1c or 2c (whatever the case may be) in the till & give back less change. There should be signs up around the store. I didn't notice anyone querying them. Its not about the 1c or 2c, its the way they are handling it. Are they doing it on the sly!!

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

Holy moly.

What have they got to announce? I guarantee most people won't even notice that they've gone.

Total end if sale figures get rounded. Why would anyone be "up in arms" or accusing anybody of doing anything on the sly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

After reading all this thread and having my hopes built up, the anticipation of visiting ALDI was killing me.

This morning I spent 7.14 in my local shop and waited excitedly to get my change 1c short as it wouldbe rounded up to 7.15. BUT NO!!! I got 2.86 back in change. What treachery is this? Where do I complain about this turn of events?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

AKW wrote: »
    Where do I complain about this turn of events?
    2014-10-18_ent_3974491_I1.JPG

Should also be said that the tills in ALDI are all manually calculated. So for instance if you're shopping is 22.78 cent and you hand over a €50 note, the poor sod behind the till has to subtract €22.78 from 50 euro in his head and get your change. Whilst ensuring they scan an average of at least 1,100 items an hour.

So sometimes they must just add up wrong.

wardides wrote: »
    Should also be said that the tills in ALDI are all manually calculated. So for instance if you're shopping is 22.78 cent and you hand over a €50 note, the poor sod behind the till has to subtract €22.78 from 50 euro in his head and get your change. Whilst ensuring they scan an average of at least 1,100 items an hour.

I have never seen an Aldi receipt without a change amount on it if you paid with a larger amount of cash.

I would be very surprised if that calculation is made, printed but not shown on the register screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

In my Aldi change is calculated by the till.

I was behind one of them tills for 3 years up until March. Unless store policy has changed since I left, no. The cashiers have absolutely no assistance in calculating change. It's one of the things Aldi pride themselves on (and why they pay good hourly rates). They expect there staff to be constantly tuned in & not day dreaming at a till scanning stuff in without a care in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Was in 3 times in the last 10 days or so.

First time; Got 5c back intead of 3.
    Second time; Got 2c back
    Third time; Got no change instead of 2c

So I'm level overall...

(Should point out that my figures above aren't that exact but I've left out the 5s, 10s, 50s etc)

In my Aldi change is calculated by the till.
    I was behind one of them tills for 3 years up until March. Unless store policy has changed since I left, no. The cashiers have absolutely no assistance in calculating change. It's one of the things Aldi pride themselves on (and why they pay good hourly rates). They expect there staff to be constantly tuned in & not day dreaming at a till scanning stuff in without a care in the world.

The receipt I got this morning shows the amount tendered and the amount of change due.

The may look like they are calculating the change but surely you mean they are counting it out?

• Advertisement

The receipt I got this morning shows the amount tendered and the amount of change due.

The may look like they are calculating the change but surely you mean they are counting it out?

If that's the case then I apologise.

No for as long as I worked there there no was mention of change due anywhere and we had to calculate it in our head. Had to sit a couple of maths exams before I got the job.

I do know that all stores went through an entire store refit & implementation of new tills over the summer, so maybe automatic totaling of change due was introduced.

No apology needed. I was curious as even from a 'protect the staff point of view' having the amount tendered and the change given will help in the instances of "I gave you €100 not €10"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Seems bizarre to leave to the till person to calculate the change due. I would have no problem doing it but I would say 4 in 5 people would have trouble doing mental arithmetic on the spot. An register I have ever worked has shown the change due. Customers were in fact angry if I knew the change due, without looking at the register.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I would have no problem doing it but I would say 4 in 5 people would have trouble doing mental arithmetic on the spot.

You're saying 80% of retail staff don't have the wherewithal to round up or down to the nearest 5c in their head?

sdanseo wrote: »
    You're saying 80% of retail staff don't have the wherewithal to round up or down to the nearest 5c in their head?

I suspect he means that they might not quickly be able to do 50 - 33.64 = 16.36 or similar, if the statement that aldi's tills didn't give the remainder is correct.

No apology needed. I was curious as even from a 'protect the staff point of view' having the amount tendered and the change given will help in the instances of "I gave you €100 not €10"

Went in to my old store and was told it's still the case. Even did a bit of shopping and no sign of any mention of change on the receipt? Very strange for a company like ALDI to have different policies in different stores. Are the receipts which show change due all from Ireland stores?

The reason behind it is simply so shop assistants are fully clued in whilst working on tills. Basically the thought process is that if you're mind is alert you will be more aware of other stuff (shoppers trying to hide products etc). Also it's assumed you will be quicker on the tills if your mind is constantly going.

Honestly it sounds an awful lot more daunting then it actually is. First few weeks are tough, but then after that it's a breeze. You'll notice why many staff get the hump if you try and say " oh I have the 12c, hang on". It's basically because in order to improve efficiency the staff have already been working out your change due as soon as they see the total.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭vandriver

L1011 wrote: »
    I suspect he means that they might not quickly be able to do 50 - 33.64 = 16.36 or similar, if the statement that aldi's tills didn't give the remainder is correct.
    There is no need to do any tricky mental arithmetic .
    1c makes 5
    5c makes 70
    30c makes €34
    €1 makes €35
    €5 makes €40
    €10 makes €50

All with practically no mental arithmetic needed.

vandriver wrote: »
    There is no need to do any tricky mental arithmetic .
    1c makes 5
    5c makes 70
    30c makes €34
    €1 makes €35
    €5 makes €40
    €10 makes €50

All with practically no mental arithmetic needed.

You'd be surprised how many people are completely and utterly incapable of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

and it why I prefer to shop in Aldi, staff are attentive to the customer unlike the large supermarkets (Dunnes being particularly uninterested). That and the fact that a 440g sirloin steak at €4 actually weighed at 710g :D

As for rounding, retailers have been issued with guidelines today and posters. And expect plenty of advertising of it.

Many fashion & home retailers are moving to .95 or .00 pricing.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 161 ✭✭JonJones

If they do not have 1 cent coins and charge 2 euro for something marked 1.99 why not price it 2 euro.And why give a receipt for 1.99 when they charge 2 euro as i got charged for a soft drink? Should i not get a receipt for 2 euro?

As Tommy Cooper said "It's not the principle it's the money"

Advertisement