Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi not giving change

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,038 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Are banks still issuing 1c and 2c

Many branches haven't had sufficient stocks for weeks and the Central Bank won't be minting more so realistically they won't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,238 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Can stores opt out of rounding

It would be stupid to. They are useless coins that have no real use and are just clutter, was great when I was in Canada and didn't have to deal with that rubbish. A pain in the ass for stores to maintain them and a pain in the ass for people to get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Aaronlp5

I'm pretty sure you will actually be able to ask for your full change if you want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,466 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Aaronlp5 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure you will actually be able to ask for your full change if you want it.

it has already been confirmed that this is entirely optional for consumers and stores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭B17G

Website explaining all. Includes a video.

http://www.betterallround.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Yep, no big hoopla.

Most people will go with the rounded change. Some won't and everyone can go on about their business without any real worries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Liam O wrote: »
    It would be stupid to. They are useless coins that have no real use and are just clutter, was great when I was in Canada and didn't have to deal with that rubbish. A pain in the ass for stores to maintain them and a pain in the ass for people to get them.

Totally agree, but the company I work for just sent us an email this morning saying we are not participating in the rounding

Totally agree, but the company I work for just sent us an email this morning saying we are not participating in the rounding

Unless they intend to start buying and shipping in shrapnel change from the dwindling number of EU countries still minting them, they're going to have little choice soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭sonny.knowles

B17G wrote: »

A video to explain rounding? Must watch that. :)

L1011 wrote: »
    Unless they intend to start buying and shipping in shrapnel change from the dwindling number of EU countries still minting them, they're going to have little choice soon.

Sure I ment

• Advertisement

Sure I mentioned it too a CEO a few weeks a go and he hadn't a clue what I was talking about...company only cares about its English side of operations

• Registered Users Posts: 20,998 ✭✭✭✭Stark

None of the shops I visited today were doing rounding. Still ended up with the usual pocket full of shrapnel at the end of the day :(
    B17G wrote: »

Primary school mathematics for adults :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Legislation, please.

Display of prices is completely unrelated to change and comes under offer to treat anyway.

What legislation says that they are not obliged to give change. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Stark wrote: »
    None of the shops I visited today were doing rounding. Still ended up with the usual pocket full of shrapnel at the end of the day :(

Primary school mathematics for adults :)
    There are going to be training courses for shop staff.

fin12 wrote: »

None, because there's no need to legislate for every single "not required".

Theres no legislation at all that requires it, just convention and inevitable business failure if you don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

what legislation says they do?

If you want to be pedantic - you have the invitation to treat of a price displayed. Then at the till, the price is asked for by the retailer (lest say €9). You at that point may reject that price and or make a counter offer.

In most cases you offer a payment form - if its a card, you the have an extra opportunity to accept the amount via entering your pin number, however when offering cash, if the retailer was pedantic and following rules to the absolute letter in their favour and you wanted to be sure of change, you would then make an offer saying that you will offer €10 in exchange foir the goods and €1 returned.

But we live in the real world and norms apply along with "reasonableness" (a very of used word in legal situations)

Hence it is "reasonable" to expect change in the above transaction due to the norms of society, but it is not illegal not to give the change - however such a store would not last long.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

delahuntv wrote: »
    what legislation says they do?

If you want to be pedantic - you have the invitation to treat of a price displayed. Then at the till, the price is asked for by the retailer (lest say €9). You at that point may reject that price and or make a counter offer.

In most cases you offer a payment form - if its a card, you the have an extra opportunity to accept the amount via entering your pin number, however when offering cash, if the retailer was pedantic and following rules to the absolute letter in their favour and you wanted to be sure of change, you would then make an offer saying that you will offer €10 in exchange foir the goods and €1 returned.

But we live in the real world and norms apply along with "reasonableness" (a very of used word in legal situations)

Hence it is "reasonable" to expect change in the above transaction due to the norms of society, but it is not illegal not to give the change - however such a store would not last long.

I asked what legislation says that they do not have to give change because another poster here kept asking what legislation says that they do have to give change, was it fair to be asked to show the legislation that says that they have to give change and not then show the legislation that says they do not have to give change.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

It doesn't matter about legislation anyway, the scheme is voluntary and if a customers wants the correct change then they have to get it.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/1028/737876-rounding-of-one-and-two-cent/

I asked what legislation says that they do not have to give change because another poster here kept asking what legislation says that they do have to give change, was it fair to be asked to show the legislation that says that they have to give change and not then show the legislation that says they do not have to give change.

There is no need for legislation to say you don't have to do something, hence there isn't any.

If you don't understand that, you aren't going to understand legislation in the first place.

this isnt a matter of legislation it is a matter of simple contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

The website seems to have an opinion of its own, not sure if it's based on anything...
    The consumer will always have the right to exact change, so retailers should make sure they retain a sufficient stock of 1 and 2 cent coins. If a retailer doesn't have any available then he will have to round the cost down and take an unnecessary loss of up to 4 cent on that transaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Was in in Tesco the other day and the manager was explaining the rounding to two members of staff. I was buying a single low value item. The Manager went into a near monologue with a few confused words from one of the two staff.

Manager: You see, that there. Now in Supervalu instead of charging 47c, they would charge that customer 50c.
    Staff: I wouldn't be able to do that
    Manager: That is coming in today, everything is rounded up or down to the nearest 5c, supervalu are bringing it in. It will be voluntary, we won't be bringing it in.

So in spite of being the one of trying to explain it to the staff he was wrong. 47c transaction should have been rounded to 45c. The staff had not even heard of a national voluntary rounding scheme being implemented.
    I wasn't even that bothered that he was using me as an example when I was standing right there, on the merits of how little awareness there is other there for this scheme.

Tesco have brutal head office to store communications and even worse manager to staff comms when the managers are told.

They've also said they are testing it in one store with a view to full implementation, rather than "won't be bringing it in"

The Central Bank left this ridiculously late to advertise to the public - and many shop staff have only heard it from those ads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

So day one and I am already down 2c.

Why don't the shops or what ever just don't price things like ticks. Don't price things 1,2,3,4c simple really.

TallGlass wrote: »

Why don't the shops or what ever just don't price things like ticks. Don't price things 1,2,3,4c simple really.

Would lead to increases and be inflationary as well as damage the .99 psychological point, which everyone says doesn't work on them but usually does

why didnt you insist on your 2c if it hurt you so much?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

I think it is a ridiculous scheme and I will not be participating.

My 2 cent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

why didnt you insist on your 2c if it hurt you so much?

Maybe because I thought I got the correct change like I have the last number of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭mada999

ken wrote: »
    He reckons at the moment he loses about €20-30 per week from people going over a few cent and not paying it.

lol I wonder how much he gains from the dodgy calibration of the pump itself ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

You're complaining about being down 2c but you'd be happy to have the prices increased? And they're the "ticks"?

Advertisement