Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new off farm loading pen and small crush for about 15 cattle at a time

Options
  • 01-09-2015 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭

Basically lads wondering would some of ye have any pictures of yere of farm setup for inspiration ... using a neighbours that we would have put a dew pound into down through the years but evolves getting help of at least 2 people to bring cattle onto road .

Time has come to build our own so it is one man job .

Specs ..... needs to accomadate 6 mtr crush ... going using odonavan semi auto gate that stays open by itself ....
    Can you tell me sizes of your pens please and mostly what I'm looking for is best layout to cut down on using excessive boundary fence ...

It will be situated one field ... 3 acres from road .... all the other 40 acres is beyond this ... there is 12 ft gate already in cross wall with boundary on right and any amount of room on left ... I'll try and get a few pics later

Thanks in advance
    R&S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭visatorro

sligoronan put up a few pics on the guntering thread. I thought its a great way of putting up a crush on outfarm, with the portable piers you can hang as many gates as you like and bring all home with you then. you'd stick up whatever sized pen you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭renandstimpy

Ya I seen that and was impressed. . But there is 40 acres where I'm putting this and was looking to put in a permanent one so I could do any dosing injecting up there during the year . Thinking of going the crash barrier route for external walls as I have some already and use the square crash barrier for uprights

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

What is the ground like, rocky or soft, easy to dig? If it's not rocky we have drove a few 6 x 3 H irons with a post driver for up rights. You need to point the corners a bit and use a crow bar first.
    You would need a seperating pen for loading them with 2 short double gates, use it to hold whatever amount of cattle you can fit in a trailer. Make it so you can swing around a jeep and trailer and reverse to the loading pen without having to back around corners, especially on the blind side. Ask your vet is there any good pens in the area you could look at.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭ford 5600

Very good point about asking the vet, Blue5000. If you have 40 acres there, surely you will have more than 15 cattle? Only asking as, if you are building one at all, make it big enough for a herd test, and allow for a fully stocked 40 acres. I used the W shaped crash barriers for the uprights as well as the rails. I used 3 . Spacing ,12 " from ground to bottom of 1st one,then 12" barrier, 6" inch gap,12" barrier, 6" gap and finally 12" barrier. Total height 5 ft . I bored holes and bolted them together. I have seen a lad using ESB poles, and coach bolts, but they pulled out in 5 or 6 years. Steel is the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,809 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Here's a simple one I put up last year. The gate at the left can open both ways and I will add another more secure upright to close it in, to the right, to tie against. The uprights are railway girders and the strip of concrete holds it all together. Must add a crush gate too and a load of gravel to finish it off, whenever I get the time.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Advertisement

Your right ford I do have more than 15 up there .. nearer 35 with them coming and going could be less could be more depending on grass and them going to factory but they would not be in any more than 15 in a group ... your right about herd test but I would have access to paddocks close by to get them in fast ... your way sounds like what I have in mind are the w's vertical fairly rigid and how far did you put them done . Def steel the way to go and be more in favour of crash barrier over rsjs as they are already galvanised and are stronger grade steel .

Looks well patsy .only thing with me is with our headers of cattle I would defo be doing all 4 sides as they would just be gone out over hedge if they were pened in with nowhere to go .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Don't want to open a new thred. Looking at doing a crush at home. Who elce do crushes/head gates becides O Donovan and O Donnal? Probably go with I Donovan as they seem to be the most popular. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

• Registered Users Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Are you asking about head gates or crush/races or both?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Don't want to open a new thred. Looking at doing a crush at home. Who elce do crushes/head gates becides O Donovan and O Donnal? Probably go with I Donovan as they seem to be the most popular. Thanks

Just picked up a new setup here a few days ago
    20150917_180621.jpg
    free upload

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Base price wrote: »
    Are you asking about head gates or crush/races or both?

Head gates more so.

Finally got around to putting up the crush .. 1.5 days with a friend to get this far .
    It all hinges on getting curved pen set out right ( excuse the pun) . another 2 days should see the most of it done , waiting on a neighbour to dig remaining 19 holes with mini digger , might be next week .

hndncO.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

Finally got around to putting up the crush .. 1.5 days with a friend to get this far .
    It all hinges on getting curved pen set out right ( excuse the pun) . another 2 days should see the most of it done , waiting on a neighbour to dig remaining 19 holes with mini digger , might be next week .

hndncO.jpg

Looks like a great job.
    Do you mind me asking where you got the curved forcing pen
    I am thinking of doing something similar

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭FeelTheBern

Curved pen looks like great idea - to add to last posters question, were the rounded sections expensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

That's going to be a savage job Redandstimpy! Thanks for updating this. You are obviously a lad that likes doing thing right. Love to see more photos as it progresses

I got it off condon engineering , seen an article in the farmers journal back in 2015 and finally got it off them 2 weeks ago .

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭larthehar

I got it off condon engineering , seen an article in the farmers journal back in 2015 and finally got it off them 2 weeks ago .

Just in the design process myself! I was doing the maths and concrete walls worked out cheapest for sides I thought.. start are you using?

tidy with btw!

larthehar wrote: »
    Just in the design process myself! I was doing the maths and concrete walls worked out cheapest for sides I thought.. start are you using?

tidy with btw!

To concrete the sides i was getting quotes of lads for 3 grand which i thought was a bit steep . I got all the crash barrier in athlone for sides for €900 , all the steel for crush including curved pen , race , gate , safety crush tube to stop cattle crowding on top of you when working on ones in chute came in at €2900 inc vat . ill just concrete stute this year and concrete all next year with 4 inches of concrete funds permitting :rolleyes:. ill be doing as much of the work as i can myself .

started with this
    ImmeOe.jpg

and finished with this
    fc1YIf.jpg

reason for middle gate opening in forcing pen is it is designed to allow a truck to back to it and bring gate at back end of crush around to one side and bring other gate around after cattle to load in truck for factory .
    They have nowhere to go only up the ramp .

What is the diameter of the curved portion and what did that curved part cost on its own?
    It should be possible to add that to an existing chute.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

djmc wrote:
    Looks like a great job.
    Do you mind me asking where you got the curved forcing pen
    I am thinking of doing something similar

I have a few 16' gates shaping up nicely after this years bulls in a shed:o.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

It is a 6mtr diameter. . 3 curved gates were €570 and posts were €50 each .. wraparound post was €80 and 2 forcing gates were €400

All of the uprights on one side up today .... while all ye feckers were watching the match .. :D

XhY3PM.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Was Reggie gIving you a hand? :)

There is a joke here somewhere but it's gone over my head ðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

There is a joke here somewhere but it's gone over my head ðŸ˜႒

The tractor ren

😂get ya now .. no just another massey owner we have it from new in 94

z0h786.jpg

PoaXmX.jpg

Another day clocked in ... slow trying to get everything passing one another and leaving man passes for safety and efficient working of it but getting there .
    Because o lot of the stuff is so close together 2 holes end up becoming one which means a lot of bracing as all has to be in place for one pour.

Redandstimpy, just a little tip.
    Make up some small square shapes from 1" timber, say 6" by 6" and drop them on the concrete around each upright. Fill them with concrete then. You'll keep all the rain and slurry away from the bottom of the uprights. You'll add years to your pen. Extra work but well worth it.;)
    Super job, by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Redandstimpy, just a little tip.
    Make up some small square shapes from 1" timber, say 6" by 6" and drop them on the concrete around each upright. Fill them with concrete then. You'll keep all the rain and slurry away from the bottom of the uprights. You'll add years to your pen. Extra work but well worth it.;)
    Super job, by the way.

Interesting tip that

Advertisement