Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new off farm loading pen and small crush for about 15 cattle at a time

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,810 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Jb1989 wrote: »
    Interesting tip that
    Speaking from experience on that one. We built a yard here in the 80's and put in a crush with box section uprights. 15 years later and they broke away at the base. I had to dig them out with s kango hammer and put in railway girders in their place. Now the box section wasn't galvanised only painted but still,

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭renandstimpy

Great idea Patsy

• Registered Users Posts: 18,661 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Redandstimpy, just a little tip.
    Make up some small square shapes from 1" timber, say 6" by 6" and drop them on the concrete around each upright. Fill them with concrete then. You'll keep all the rain and slurry away from the bottom of the uprights. You'll add years to your pen. Extra work but well worth it.;)
    Super job, by the way.

When that goes it will be the next mans problem.
    Speaking from experience on that one. We built a yard here in the 80's and put in a crush with box section uprights. 15 years later and they broke away at the base. I had to dig them out with s kango hammer and put in railway girders in their place. Now the box section wasn't galvanized only painted but still,

Have seen galvanaized pens up 20+ years and still not a mark on them. If the tops of the upright pipes were open I would put a bar of 20mm reenforcing steel down into it and fill to the top with concrete then it would be the fella after the next mans problem.

Slava Ukrainii

An hour would go a long wAy on that job Reeves. Maybe it's me but I hate Kango work. Have a good fee cubicles to replace now also.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

An hour would go a long wAy on that job Reeves. Maybe it's me but I hate Kango work. Have a good fee cubicles to replace now also.

We hired in a mini digger with a rock breaker on it a few years back for that job. Just make sure you have a decent pair of ear muffs.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Haveto do the same here. Don't know what type of cubicles you have but I think I'm going to cut them off level to the ground and fit them easy fix ones.

Sum of the bigger cows don't lie in them and I think they get a fright trying to get up sum day and get half stuck and stop useing them. The easy fix type of cubicles they have loads of room in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭invicta

Could you not cut them at ground level, and drive an internal sleeve down the cubicle pipe and refit the same cubicle over the sleeve again?
    i.e. If cubicle is 2" steel,reinforce it with 1,3/4 steel 5mm galv. pipe
    Then either weld or bolt the whole lot together!!

Ya beat me to Invicta. .. I have seen that done on a friends cousins shed ... except he used new ones as old ones were gooshed . He hammered a size down tube into the hole left and dropped new ones over with a bit taken off them first .. I never heard anything since so presume they worked .. saved a lot of breaking out .

• Registered Users Posts: 19 lough135

@renandstimpy I was looking at the photos of your cattle pen and was planning to put up something very similar, would it be possible for me to to come and look at yours when it is finished as looking at something in reality is better than on paper

No problem at all lough135. .. got side tracked by the day job the last week so could be 2 weeks before i get the time to finish it .. could get someone in to do it I suppose but they'd never figure out what's in my head 😂😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 lough135

That would be great renandstimpy, much appreciated, I would send you a pm but don't have enough posts yet.

Thought I'd add this here. From the Farmers Journal website.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Omallep2

Thought I'd add this here. From the Farmers Journal website.

The "no return" for closing gate is the business I'd say...

Well have we cow****e in the crush yet OP?

Didn't get back at it until the last few days but will have pics tomorrow .. nearly there

Lqk2HX.jpg

crash barrier just finished . Magdrill hired out for a day €30 came into its own .

x36nnR.jpg

EYL6Bk.jpg

Just after blinding it off with maintanence .. 3 gates to hang and decided to concrete the lot to be finished .

2lIF1p.jpg

wonder will they be as obliging to go in when i want them to :rolleyes:

Ya, save yerself a lot of hassle by concreting it now. Might hang that gate on the nearside too.;)

One suggestion I'd make is raise a platform about 6-8 inches where you stand outside the crush, makes it a bit easier to reach the far side of cattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Lqk2HX.jpg

crash barrier just finished . Magdrill hired out for a day €30 came into its own .

x36nnR.jpg

EYL6Bk.jpg

Just after blinding it off with maintanence .. 3 gates to hang and decided to concrete the lot to be finished .

2lIF1p.jpg

Great job.fair play.
    Is it ok to pour concrete on the likes of this? Will you not have issues with run off if inspected?

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Great job.fair play.
    Is it ok to pour concrete on the likes of this? Will you not have issues with run off if inspected?

Just let it run out into the field, where it would have been anyway, if the cattle were not in the yard.:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Lovely job

blue5000 wrote: »
    One suggestion I'd make is raise a platform about 6-8 inches where you stand outside the crush, makes it a bit easier to reach the far side of cattle.

Ya Im going to make a platform that sits at about the same height as the bottom rail on crush in steel with open mesh to walk on . Ill get it galvanised and it will be in 4 sections so i can take out fast if animal goes down .

Just let it run out into the field, where it would have been anyway, if the cattle were not in the yard.:P

would be might thought :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

would be might thought :D

I'd be of the same thinking but what if there's an inspection on the farm? Is soiled water off a concrete yard not supposed to be collected? I'm asking because I was thinking of building something similar on an out farm here and didn't think I'd be able to concrete it.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭welton john

Lqk2HX.jpg

x36nnR.jpg

EYL6Bk.jpg

2lIF1p.jpg

super job, befitting of the stock who'll be using it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,661 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I would concrete a inside the race only so that cattle cannot get a grip inside it to put pressure on bars or headgate. Ideally I would have put 3-6'' stone under the collecting part. I would be slow to put in a step as it makes the gates between the posts virtually redundant. Get some heavy 3'' box and make crosspeices for between the posts in the walkway. Make a set up where you can take them on and off and hve them 9-12'' off the ground. Then plank it for a walkway. Take your planks and crosspieces away after you are finished. You will not need them the day you are handling a single animal that is sick.

Slava Ukrainii

well lads it has finally come to an end . concrete in , gates hanging and all welding done . Cattle will be going to factory in 10 days so the baptism is then :D

uhLVML.jpg

yIudmw.jpg

Just one thing i want to pick yere brains on . The centre gates of forcing pen are a bit tight and could do with a small bit of grease . just wondering about fitting a grease nipple to where im pointing at on each hanger of the four .
    question is can i just bore out with a bit a size smaller and try threading nipple in itself :eek: ... or do i have to tap the hole :confused:.

b6zxVG.jpg

TZIeUa.jpg

R&S, It's looking good. Pity dirty it. I'd say better tap the hole.
    From the pics, it looks like all the weight is sitting on the lower hinge. Could you fit in a nylon flat disc (like a washer) between the two faces that rub along each other? That would help a lot too. An small engineering place would make one up for you.

How about using an oil can instead of greasing it?

Great job, what did it cost altogether?

• Advertisement

Kinda the way it is oil probably would just run out of it .. to be honest it's probably just use it needs to wear it in .. the nylon washer would definitely free it up and stop wear .. ya all the weight is on the bottom hinges ..

Crush .. forcing pen ... and safety rails along crush .. 2900 Inc vat ... crash barrier came to 900 ... internal gates in local hardware came 400 .. bolts nuts and washers 70 ... concrete and expansion joints 1110.. digging and stone 400 .. miscellaneous 100 for welding rods and steel plates for hanging gates off crash barrier .
    Total 5880 Inc vat

Advertisement