Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new off farm loading pen and small crush for about 15 cattle at a time

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭larthehar

Well got christened at the weekend. .. worked very well with flow of movement and plenty of space for sorting .
    Just one minor adjustment to crush gate width was set too wide when they run into it but there is a bolt up underneath the top of crush you can adjust.
    All the cattle in pic bar 2 young bullocks in middle pen went to the factory an hour ago .
    Just for anyone else that is lea ing an opening for a lorry the 9 ft is spot on for the ramp about 4 inches each side .

KcrNlj.jpg

VDstU5.jpg

Super job R&S! What do you think of the finished size, what's the max number of cattle that you could draft and that?

I have to make one for 50 sucklers + bull and wean lings..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Well got christened at the weekend. .. worked very well with flow of movement and plenty of space for sorting .
    Just one minor adjustment to crush gate width was set too wide when they run into it but there is a bolt up underneath the top of crush you can adjust.
    All the cattle in pic bar 2 young bullocks in middle pen went to the factory an hour ago .
    Just for anyone else that is lea ing an opening for a lorry the 9 ft is spot on for the ramp about 4 inches each side .

KcrNlj.jpg

VDstU5.jpg
    Good job and well done. It was great to follow your progress throughout the build.
    Lorries are 8' 2.5" wide max. Nothing worse than trying to reverse a lorry or lorry & drag into a narrow gate to load stock.
    BTW I cannot see the pics properly. When I click on the link it goes to image shack but the pics don't show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭ford 5600

Reggie. wrote: »
    Ah but your disqualified cos you have no concrete down

The 1st vet to test cattle in it advised me not to even concrete the floor of the chute , as they would have far better grip on the gravel and not be slipping and sliding. I did the floor in the chute , and put a step there. I couldn't see myself ever concreteing the whole pen floor.

Thank Muckit for your compliments...
    The side bars are high enough. That gate was only tied there out of the way . Its occasionly used to take the corner off ,and aid cattle flow when the cattle are lining up for the chute.
    The crush gate is as effective at holding an animal as a 500 euro auto job.
    It has been as good a few euro as I have spent on an outfarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭renandstimpy

larthehar wrote: »
    Super job R&S! What do you think of the finished size, what's the max number of cattle that you could draft and that?

I have to make one for 50 sucklers + bull and wean lings..

Thanks . I had 30 heifers in the pens at once spread out between all the pens and crush .. probably could have taken a few more but that would be the maximum that we ever had in one group . And to be fair the only reason there was that many in because a gate was left open between paddocks and they mixed earlier on and we were just waiting to finish pen to sort them again .
    Really to make this work for bigger number of cattle if your happy with lenght of crush is to put a big holding pen out front and drip feed into rest of crush ..

Plus one other thing I have to do is narrow up the man pass at back of crush as 2 of the wildest cattle managed to squeeze into it ,lucky I had a gate at the far end to let them .. 😂 I was bit generous with the waist measurements. . Suppose I was leaving room for expansion 😂

Base price wrote: »
    Good job and well done. It was great to follow your progress throughout the build.
    Lorries are 8' 2.5" wide max. Nothing worse than trying to reverse a lorry or lorry & drag into a narrow gate to load stock.
    BTW I cannot see the pics properly. When I click on the link it goes to image shack but the pics don't show.

Cheers
    Had difficulty with the app base price when trying to atrace pictures .. but when I went into the actual website they come as picture not url .. try that and let me know if it's still giving bother and I'll reload them tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭visatorro

See where you have the crash barriers cut to the length of the crush, you won't be afraid of the curved bit doing abit of damage to an animal say if two weanlings went to push in at the same time? Something like that happened here
    Super job BTW.

visatorro wrote: »
    See where you have the crash barriers cut to the length of the crush, you won't be afraid of the curved bit doing abit of damage to an animal say if two weanlings went to push in at the same time? Something like that happened here
    Super job BTW.

To be honest they are not cut that's just where they landed and I had looked at that but the middle rail is at about just under 4ft to centre and they are back in the crush about foot past the pinch point of the back gate .. I think I' should be ok as the cattle going up here will be minimum of 14 months old .. but your point is valid and if it was the pen and crush at the main farm I would defo fill them in with 2 extra lenghts .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,930 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Is that a VW transporter I see in the background. Good tow rating on them especially if they are the AWL (all wheel drive) one

Slava Ukrainii

Is that a VW transporter I see in the background. Good tow rating on them especially if they are the AWL (all wheel drive) one

The sharp eye sees far ... it is yes ... it's 4 motion 130 brake and I can say she has yet to let me down .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,930 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The sharp eye sees far ... it is yes ... it's 4 motion 130 brake and I can say she has yet to let me down .

They are a good old van rated to pull over 3 ton if I remember correct.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Dragging up an old thread...

Looks like @renandstimpy doesn't be on here much now. Are they gone or reincarnated with a new username?

Getting mine done at the moment and thinking about upgrading an old one. Seen this and thought it was a lovely design that could fit into the old one.

Not sure if I'd need the curved gates, but I guess price would have increased a lot since then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

My advive, don't over think it, i changed the design of my one serveral times as i was putting it up, you'll never catch everything first time.

There will always be a few bits you'd do different.

Having said all that i seen a video on youtube last week where a pin was divided up with a sliding gate and a fixed barrier, makes it handy to let cattle through instead of opening a normal gate out into cattle. That's something i wish i had done, did'nt see the video in time though!

I've already changed the one I'm at currently a few times. Overall scheme is the same, just some small tweaks and repositioning of posts when seen in flesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭1848

To finish it off you need a section for loading cattle - say extend out where main gate is. Will allow a trailer to reverse in & then allow for a gate to swing behind to force cattle with an exit point for safety. Having done a good (low cost) job on the rest this will complete it.

The OP has used his curved area for loading - very nicely thought out using the internal gates to force the stock meaning they have nowhere to go but onto the trailer.

Advertisement