Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home PC

Options
  • 01-09-2015 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi a friend of mine is looking for a desktop he got a price off a local computer store of
    i3, 4gb ram and 500gb hdd, €460
    19 inch monitor €130
    Office €140
    Trying to convince him it can he can get a better cheaper PC would like to get an ssd if possible. Doesn't need massive storage

1. What is your budget? 400-500

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer?basic farm software packages, accounts and internet.
    3. Do you need a copy of Windows? Yes
    4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No

5. Do you need a monitor? Yes

5a. If yes, what size do you need? 21 inch

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] easy to do accounts on

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? N0

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [No]

8. How can you pay? Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [this week]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [Should be fine

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Pentium G3220 €60
    H81M board €50
    300w PSU €30
    4gb RAM €30
    Case €30
    500gb HDD €30
    60gb SSD €60
    Windows with office from Reddit €50
    24" 1080p monitor €150
    Total €500 rough

Any questions ask away

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Save on buying any kind of Office license, just install LibreOffice. Does the same, can be set to save as Office, opens all Office files. And it's free.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

LibreOffice is good (as a student, I gotta live on freebies!) but it does take some time to get used to, as it's not 'really Office'. Kind of like how WinE on Linux is quirkier than Windows.
    The new PentiumK is a good choice for office work, paired with 8Gb of RAM (I know that having 3 Excells open in our Accounting module would crash a 3Gb computer) on a H87 board would do fine. How big is the storage requirement?
    I can see the use for a 128Gb SSD in this build in exchange for the 1TB HDD, but is this computer storing the files also?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 solomien

Thanks for the replys. The pc will be in an outside office on the farm so was going to suggest external hard drive for storing files etc for added safety shouldn't be a huge volume of data.

The office could be fairly dusty etc, is there any case you would suggest to help with this?

Any suggestions on where to purchase from? Used hardwareversand before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Avoid a case with lots of fans or mesh if it's going to be in a dirty/dusty environment. Something like this Antec NSK-4100 would be good.

At $25 for MS Office from Reddit, I don't think LibreOffice's shortcomings are worth the saving. At €140 it would be a different proposition.

You could get a 250gb SSD for around 80-90, which is fine for an office PC. No mechanical storage means less chance of failures too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 solomien

Thanks for the case suggestion. Would prefer the proper windows alright, how does buying off reddit work?

Will the free versions of anti virus suffice? Any suggestions?

Also any ideas on a monitor, make etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Look for Microsoftsoftwareswap on Reddit, there are a group of people selling licences for practically all versions of Windows and office. Choose a seller with good feedback and follow the instructions in the thread. They all give a good range of payment options, including amazon and PayPal.

Advertisement