Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cardisure in Ireland for heart condition

• 01-09-2015 12:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭

Hi,

My Bernese Mountain Dog (Riggs) is about to turn 3 and had a heart attack in May. After a week of touch and go she made it out the other side thanks to a great cardiologist in dublin. She has improved week on week and is now you would not tell that the dog has a heart issue.

Her medication is averaging 11 euro a day. The majority of this are the 3 cardisure 5mg tablets she gets daily. I am currently paying €2.50 a pill through my vet. I have approached them about a way to get them cheaper but the response was that unfortunately thats the price, it may go down if I was to buy in bulk.

A quick google later and I see I can buy 100 tabs for about €100 through pet perscription.co.uk.
    http://www.petprescription.co.uk/products/cardisure%205mg/

I called them and explained the situation abut they said I can only order with a UK prescription. My brothers sis in law is a vet in the uk but she says she needs to see the dog in the uk before any prescription is made. This is understandable.

Has anyone any suggestions on things I could do? I cannot find an irish bulk order service.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Take him over to see your family in the UK and sort out the prescription is most likely going to be your best bet; UK tend to be better priced for bulk buying then Ireland from my (although limited) experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

The vet (i think) is obliged to give you a written prescription if you ask so you could ask for the prescription and try buying online. You'd probably need to send to a UK address so use Parcel Motel. Last time I was getting my dog's medicine (thyroid) the vet asked if I wanted a prescription to buy online or if I was buying from them - I got it from them as it's sold out online due to some manufacturing problem(!) Also we get a full bottle from the vet so 120 tablets at a time - he takes one a day. If you're near Dublin/Dundalk/Newry try Brian Jones as I've heard he's reasonable for medications. His Dublin clinic is 2 mins from the M50 @ Junction 5/Finglas :
    http://www.ancuveterinary.com/index.php/find-us

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Lizard_Moon

Vets cannot write write a prescription for a UK supplier. We can of course write you a script if it is to get the product legally.
    Vets cannot actually dispense drugs based on another vet's script- you would need a wholesale or pharmacy licence for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭Chrizfitz

Vets cannot write write a prescription for a UK supplier. We can of course write you a script if it is to get the product legally.
    Vets cannot actually dispense drugs based on another vet's script- you would need a wholesale or pharmacy licence for that.

Well since you say we I presume your in the business. What would you recommend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

OP there's been tons of threads about this and there's plenty of sites in the UK that are happy to take an Irish prescription so just ask for one. There's pharmacies here that dispense animal/pet medications so you could just as easily be going to one of them ;) Just a word of warning - medicanimal/petmeds.co.uk seemed to be in financial difficulty a few weeks ago so I'd avoid them. Vivovet actually lowered their shipping because they got an influx of customers using them instead!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Lizard_Moon

Chrizfitz wrote: »
    Well since you say we I presume your in the business. What would you recommend?

There is no problem giving a prescription but as a vet I can only write one for an Irish pharmacy. If you tell me it is for the UK I cannot write it as it is illegal to import drugs from another another country.

If possible as your vet about bulk purchases prices. This would involve you paying cash upfront for the vet to order in the quantity you require and the delivery costs if they don't keep that package size in stock. This of course depends up the packet sizes available, any cost differences between packet sizes and of course the regulations regarding the amount we can prescribe for.

Advertisement